Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Top Gear

SMW

But you eliminate the element of human control - something that a machine could never replicate

if you see the back end of a car coming towards you - the computer system will cut in -yes- and like you say may not stop in time but will stop within a shorter distance and lower speed-okay.

but if it were in the hands of the driver- you would swerve would you not? natural reaction? this may result in no collision at all- a far better prospect i am inclined to think, in that sort of situation any control you have is better than none!

yeah, i disgree with the whole auto-drive idea...

But - how can it increase tailgating? if you get too close to stop, the system will cut in - and as the video showed, its not going to stop you - but its going to help...

I agree with Fidgets on this one - no the test didn't work BUT it had slowed the car down a considerable amount where in those conditions it would have helped save lives.

J

But you eliminate the element of human control - something that a machine could never replicate

if you see the back end of a car coming towards you - the computer system will cut in -yes- and like you say may not stop in time but will stop within a shorter distance and lower speed-okay.

but if it were in the hands of the driver- you would swerve would you not?  natural reaction?  this may result in no collision at all- a far better prospect i am inclined to think, in that sort of situation any control you have is better than none!

but the system only cuts in if the driver doesnt react - if he's already on the brakes, it can only brake harder - and with ABS, you can still swerve and once the collision is avoided the system will release the brakes... and from the evidence on Top Gear and from other places, it sounds like this cuts in at the very last minute.

the system is there to aid the driver - like ABS - which probably had the same arguments against it when it was introduced, the driver can use candence braking to avoid skidding, and yet, nowadays the EU states all cars must be fitted with it... (however i think neither of your cars has ABS, so that could be a flawed argument :lol: )

Its not often, but if your accelerating hard whilst overtaking (say to move out round a lorry going into the middle lane on the motorway), you get closer than you would driving normally along behind somone, and you don't want the car braking for you whilst your trying to do that.

:lol: yeah my cars are simple just the way i like them - none of this techo crap to go wrong, the way i see it is - the more parts there are - the more parts there are to go wrong! hence the reason i will never buy i modern car! Simple mechanics is the way forward :D :P

p.s still dont like the braking idea :P

What worries me is having that auto stop thing on, when bombing down a country road .. you know the road turns hard right but the car sees the wall on the left as stationary .. slaming the anchors on as you are going to steer round the bend ..

You can't steer AND brake as effectively, if you are doign both ..

:lol:  yeah my cars are simple just the way i like them - none of this techo crap to go wrong, the way i see it is - the more parts there are - the more parts there are to go wrong! hence the reason i will never buy i modern car! Simple mechanics is the way forward :D :P

p.s still dont like the braking idea :P

yeah, mid-way through my last reply that suddenly dawned on me... :lol:

and i agree - this isnt for your driver cars, like TVR's and the ilk - but it would be nice to see them fitted to mondeos, BMW's etc...

There has always been resistance everytime a new car safety feature is brought out, and 5/10 years later, is so commonplace, no-one bats an eye.

And actually, i think i'd quite like a car with autodrive - pull onto the M4 at 5am, hit a button, have a nap, wake up and hit the button again to pull into heathrow - sounds lush... (of course, i would have to have a TVR in the garage to compensate ;) )

And Ben - thats a good point - but i think they may have thought of it? (perhaps not though)

Could you imagine it on a TVR ? You'd never get the car out the garage ..

Brakes on full .. "I AIN'T GOING !!"

i think the auto brake thing is for idiots

if your a good driver you dont need spazzy gimmicks to stop you.

youll have the atitude and skill to do it yourself and in a much more controlled manner, if you need these sort of aids then chuck ya liscence in if ya ask me

If you are a good driver .. you'd not buy a Merc ;)

i think the auto brake thing is for idiots

youll have the atitude and skill to do it yourself and in a much more controlled manner, if you need these sort of aids then chuck ya liscence in if ya ask me

But Rob - how many good drivers do you come across on a daily basis?

I dont want it for me - i want it for all the other idiots...

If you are a good driver .. you'd not buy a Merc ;)

Amen ;)

testify!

• 2 weeks later...

How about Mansell getting round the track in the fastest time... 1min 44.?secs.... that is a fast time for an ex F1 driver...

What is the stigs best time? Do we know?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links