Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot Rattle Driving Me Mad!

Hello everyone,

There's a rattling sound coming from the boot of my Celica. I've checked there's nothing loose in the rear. Tried placing foam in certain places but no joy. Taken apart the rear plastic trays, spare, and reseated them. Still hear the noise. At wits end about what's causing it. Rattle is more noticeable on rougher roads and also comes and goes. Exhaust is fine. Reading another topic someone mentioned a possible cause as being from the anti roll bar bush. Could this be the cause of this noise? If so where is the anti-roll bar bush located? How can I change it?

Many thanks and kind regards.

Hi there,

I had a problem with my gen 7. It turned out to be the jack in the passanger side comprtment in the boot wasn't fixed in tight enough. Remove it and give it go.

If yours is a 6th gen then you may have the rear anti roll bar bushes go as these are a common falure point. Althogh I have replaced al the bushes on my car and I still have a rattle from the rear but I belive this to be a loose parcelshelf whcih I ned to get round to securing because it has a large amp mounted onthe underside of the Pshelf.

I would hassard a guess at it being the anti roll bar bushes is it is a metalic sound and it is on small bumps. if it is on larger bumps or is a differnet type of sound then It could be just about anything.

Hope that helps.

Also the GEN &'s have a MASSIVE design fault in that the Toyota designers couldn't be bothered to design a good-fitting spare wheel cover and that could be the cause of the rattle........

if you replace anti roll bar bushes and it still rattles , you need to wrap a small strip of cycle inner tube around the bar itself as it wears away also , getting the bolts to re enter is a tad annoying but it will cure your knocking.

rear parcel shelfs on the celicas gen 6 have a small plastic clip which the shelf itself sits upon, if these are missing buy some 6 quid each at the dealers , they can come out with the shelf so be carefull you dont lose them as i did.

Hello and thank you to everyone who's responded.

Mine is a Gen 7. The jack was a little loose and I've removed it.

The noise is still there but less loud and less frequent. The sound is not a metallic sound. It sounds like plastic vibrating. It doesn't happen on small bumps, it's there constantly on slightly rough surfaces. Also comes and goes. Could it be the anti-roll bar bushes? If so how easy/difficult is it to change

these? Forgive my ignorance but I don't know where the bushes are located

or what they look like.

my parcel shelf drives me nuts rattling now got a bit of time on my hands thinking of making a stealth shelf out of mdf thinking more weght less rattle.

that reminds me

must go and feed the missus some more chocolate :D

hey i had the same trouble when i first got my subs fitted in the boot of my gen 7. i got a really bad rattle after the bass had finished. when i looked into it i found it was soumethin in my rear suspension that was making the noise

might be worth taking off your rear number plate aswel and checking theres nothin underneath it thats making it rattle :huh:

• 6 years later...

hey i had the same trouble when i first got my subs fitted in the boot of my gen 7. i got a really bad rattle after the bass had finished. when i looked into it i found it was soumethin in my rear suspension that was making the noise

might be worth taking off your rear number plate aswel and checking theres nothin underneath it thats making it rattle huh.gif

I have same rattling problem with my gen 7 celica. What is the name of the something you found in rear suspension? I'm eager to know what it is!

I’m getting a rattling noise at the rear of my generation 7 Celica. When car is driven over any rough surface (small and large cracks, holes or bump) in road the rattling can be heard; but on smooth surface it’s not noticeable. I've taken absolutely everything out of boot, including all plastic panels, parcel shelf, jack, and spare wheel. as after listening properly, I noticed the rattling noise sounds more of a plastic rattle. Also took back seat out and feel about in the crevices to see if anything has been left anywhere by previous owner that could be rattling about – didn’t find anything. Replaced all the plastic panels cushioned with foam rubber, but rattle still there. Fitted both new anti-roll bar linkages as old ones seemed loose, but didn’t make any difference. The anti-roll bar bushes looks in good condition, as when I tried to move the bar it’s solid – no movement when pushed from side to side or up and down rocking - only up and down pivoting, which I think it should do. Got my mate to sit in the back to find out exactly where rattling is coming from. He said it sounded like it was the tailgate – left side; but we checked it out, inc. spoiler, but couldn’t find anything loose. I noticed the rattling started suddenly (next day or so, after the night) when I hit a hole at a speed bump; or, it was after I fitted a new number plate, which I’d put some foam rubber under it, but no difference. Also checked suspension/springs - they’re ok. Two people (inc. mechanic) mentioned; could be loose brake pads...checked those - also ok.

Toyota told me; the only things that could be causing the rattling are the anti-roll bar linkages or bushes; but it seems they don’t know themselves! I need to fix this annoying rattling as it’s driving me nuts!!! I spent hours...trying to sort it!

might be worth taking off your rear number plate aswel and checking theres nothin underneath it thats making it rattle huh.gif

I have same rattling problem with my gen 7 celica. What is the name of the something you found in rear suspension? I'm eager to know what it is!

You might be waiting a little while for a reply, Magik hasn't been on the forum for 6.5 years!

• 8 years later...

On my 2002 Celica it's the hatch lock rattling over bumps. No adjustment other than the rubber stops on each side.

Tried some half insulation on the sill, noise gone. Looking for a permanent solution

The bottom of the trunk's plastic cover hits on the plastic panel on bumps, causing rattlign noise.

The trunk cover has 2 rectangular holes in the bottom, which should have 2 rubber chunks to dampen out the noise.  Stick 2 pieces of rubber pieces into those holes, or glue them on the body panel's edge.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links