Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav Advice Please

ainsml

I've had the Tom Tom 300 for a while. In general it is excellent, but occasionally you find a road which isn't on the map. I keep meaning to look and see if there are any updates, but haven't got round to it yet.

One thing which did confuse me for a while, though, is that the perspective on the 3D view doesn't match up with what you see out of the windscreen. Obviously the draw distance on the unit is set quite short to prevent overloading the cpu.

This means that when you see a left turn off the motorway at the top of the screen, you have to move pretty quickly to actually take that turn on the road. In fairness it does warn you 800m in advance of a slip road, but sometimes you just aren't paying enough attention :D

Er like when you are at the front of a convoy :D

Paul.

we have the tom tom 300 at work and overall I think it's great. If you do go for it I would seriously consider getting the optional AC adapter so you can charge it in a wall socket at home - that you way you don't have the ugly 12v lead running down to your cigarette lighter all the time.

The 2 things I don't like about it are reflection in windscreen at night and can be slow to locate GPS when first fired up - especially if you turn it on in a different place than when you last used it (hope that makes sense) !

Oh by the way you can get it about £29 cheaper if you join Gold so thats more than the membership saved in one purchase !

:thumbsup:

I've recently got the Navman 520, i'd recommend it :thumbsup:

Cheapest place seems to be PC World order online for £299.98 and go pick it up from your local PC World an hour later, saving your self a few quid :D :thumbsup:

I've recently got the Navman 520, i'd recommend it :thumbsup:

Cheapest place seems to be PC World order online for £299.98 and go pick it up from your local PC World an hour later, saving your self a few quid :D  :thumbsup:

Another Navman 520 owner here ..... it's got a bigger screen than the tomtom plus it looks better and is alot thinner.

Got mine from pcworld to ...... but gotta look for those updates :ph34r: !

I've got TomTom on my mobile phone and it's excellent, there is a gps receiver in my car which is wired in so it's always powered (that way it doesn't take time to find satellites) It stays completely hidden - I've stashed it away in part of the dash so it can't be nicked!

Then I just drop my mobile into the holder in the front of the car and press and hold "3" and it loads up. Warns me of all the speed cameras and tells me how to get to places.

It does get a couple of things wrong, like it thinks there is a roundabout at the end of my road, but there is traffic lights, but you can't blame it too much seeing as every map you can buy shows a roundabout as well!

I've got TomTom on my mobile phone and it's excellent, there is a gps receiver in my car which is wired in so it's always powered (that way it doesn't take time to find satellites) It stays completely hidden - I've stashed it away in part of the dash so it can't be nicked!

Then I just drop my mobile into the holder in the front of the car and press and hold "3" and it loads up. Warns me of all the speed cameras and tells me how to get to places.

It does get a couple of things wrong, like it thinks there is a roundabout at the end of my road, but there is traffic lights, but you can't blame it too much seeing as every map you can buy shows a roundabout as well!

wht phone do u hav and software i got the p910i and looking to put the software on there but does it not cost to use the gps ??

I have a Mitec (?) Mio 168.... its a PDA and you can get it with TomTom software... I run Tomtom5 on mine... its a fantastic little device and you cna upload the speed camera database to it and do full postcode look up....

Definately worth looking into as a possible cheaper alternative...

wht phone do u hav and software i got the p910i and looking to put the software on there but does it not cost to use the gps ??

Nope it's free plus look on good old eBay for software ...... all you need is a gps reciever which will cost a few bucks :thumbsup: !