Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broadband 22mbps

sotal

Just had an email from Ukonline saying I could upgrade to 22mbps from 8mbps for free and it won't cost anything else.

So I phoned up and they said are you aware you will need an ADSL 2+ Router, I said yes I'll pop down to overclockers and get one for £55, they said no you have to buy a Netgear one from us for £79.99. Are they allowed to force you to buy from them?

The other annoying thing is they have reduced the price of 8meg to £24.99 but I have to either stick with 8meg at £29.99 or pay £80 to upgrade to 22meg. :ffs:

I started out thinking great a free upgrade - now I feel ****** off!

22mb for only £29.99!?

I'll have some of that! I need a new Router anyhow and netgear are the next best thing after Cisco if you ask me :D £80 is rather reasonable :)

You will probably have to use there router at the mo dude give it a couple of months then you will be able to do a self install :thumbsup:

Just checked the exchange near me on ukonlines website I can get 22mb adsl.... hmmmmmm :ph34r::ph34r:

I'll just stick with my 100mb uni connection thanks very much! But when I go home its only 2mb and it feels soooooooooo slow! :thumbsup:

Is that 100mbit shared between 1000 uni students :lol:

£80 isn't too bad but seeing as I can buy it for £60 it seems a bit of a rip off! I'll probably wait till just after xmas as I'm redecorating at home at the moment and can't get to my main pc, and my laptop is only on 802.1b wireless so it can't even use the full potential of 8mbit!

Should be quick to download stuff at that speed though!

If any of you are thinking of swapping to ukonline be aware that their tech support is worthless.

Wouldn't normally be a problem but with such a cutting edge product it has a few bugs and most people won't get 22 or 24 mbps (wish they'd make their mind up which it is it's different all over their website!) So they then have to limit it at their end to stop it crashing out - so you need to speak to them and you just get fed up in the end! My 8 mbit service is on 7mbit. It was on 8 but everytime I got above 800Kbytes/sec download the router reset itself, since dropping to 7mbit it's stable at 800 Kbytes.

The 22mbit service will be unbelievable though, that's nearly 3MB/s at max speed

I think you have to practically live in the exchange to get 22Mbps though ;)

I get around 6.5 from my up to 8Mbps UKOnline service, apparently there isn't really any point upgrading to the 22Mbps one as I'd only see 8Mbps or so anyway and I'd have to fork out for a new router too.

I expect if you wait a couple of months the router might well become cheaper / free, that's what happened with the 8Mbps service when they launched it last year.

I contacted ukonline to get a 'accurate' connection speed.

Apparently where i am i will get 12.5mb per sec. Not bad considering im on freeola 2mb broadband for the same money near enough.

Although i will have to move my domain if i move isp as i get free hosting...

:(

I'm about 1km away from the exchange and get 7mbit from an 8mbit service and they reckon I should get around 20mbit from ADSL 2+ which I would be happy with.