Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt And Servicing

pank

Hello.

I am new to the cars maintenance. I bought my first car - corolla, an year back. Its time for service, etc. etc. and I am not sure how careful I should be? This appears to be a very useful site and it will be great if you can share yr useful views to my questions:

1. My car is 5 yrs old and has done 30K miles. Is it highly recommended to get the timing belt replaced?

2. Its time for its service. Should it be done at auth. dealer or pvt. is equally good if it saves money? Anything in particular I should be careful about?

More q might follow based upon your response:)

Thanks a lot.

P

Others will need to confirm this, but I am under the impression that all the VVTi engines are chain driven, and that this does not need to be changed for at least 100k miles, possibly the life of the engine. Anyone else?

David.

Yeh I was told by the garage that sold me mine that its a 100k mile/10yr check of the timing chain for slackening, otherwise its maintainance free :)

Yep it's chain driven, although it can be difficult to locate the ruddy thing. I personally think the chain will outlive your ownership of the car. More importantly, I'd get the oil checked ;)

Edited by londoner

Thanks everyone for the valuable comments.

It is surprising why Toyoyta Dealers do not know all this!!! This dealer sent me a letter saying its time for belt change for my car. When I went back with the information you filled in, this guy asks me to ignore the letter sent earlier for replacement - it is not required! This is unbelievable for dealers of such reputed car makers.

Anyway, thanks again for the time and suggestions.

I have got my intermediate service done from them - I hope they are sincere to what they do. Else, I might come back here for advice:)

cheers!

P

Boy am I glad I read this thread!

Excuse my ignorance but will I need to get the cam belt changed on my 70k engine soon? Local dealership told me it needed doing asap!

I feel so inept some times! :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links