Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina Alarm - Again!

last resort

I have read through many of the posts on this excellent forum - but any help would be MUCH apprerciated!!.

Been ill this year so Carina 1.8GL (owned from new) in my garage - Battery died - fitted a new one - car immobalised. Heard this one before.

Alarm - black fobs (have 2 originals) with red and black button PLUS 3 pin connector in side of fob.

Can it be resync by me - have tried every suggestion I have found on this board.

Is the side connector relevant - help!!

Many thanks

I had this problem a few weeks ago, I rang Toyota and was given the sequence below to try... I worked for me anyway.

 Disconnect Negative Battery terminal leaving positive connected.

(Make sure drivers window is down as car may lock)

 Put key in ignition and turn on, Leave on.

 Reconnect Battery terminal.

 Switch off ignition and remove key.

 Press black button and hold for ten seconds.

 Alarm should work.

Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...
I had this problem a few weeks ago, I rang Toyota and was given the sequence below to try... I worked for me anyway.

 Disconnect Negative battery terminal leaving positive connected.

 Reconnect battery terminal.

 Alarm should work.

Good Luck.

Cannonc you are a star , came out of work this morning to find that my live wire had come loose on the Battery. when i reattached it the alarm fired and wouldnt reset. called out green flag who couldnt reset it but got me home. i was just resigning myself to getting in an auto electrician to disconnect the whole thing when i stumbled upon this site and your post......5 minutes later and normal service has been resumed.

thanks mate

• 8 months later...

Silly question, but can anyone help me out- is it possible to change the Battery in these fobs? I have exactly the same one as described above. I have two fobs - one was chucked in a bucket of water by my son, so no longer works, and the other is started to behave erratically so I'm worried that the Battery is dying.

BTW, what IS the three pin thing on the side for? :wacko:

Cheers! :)

• 3 months later...

yes trhe Battery can be changed unfortunately i have no idea what the three pin connector is for. i foyu find out please post as i have the same fob

Silly question, but can anyone help me out- is it possible to change the battery in these fobs? I have exactly the same one as described above. I have two fobs - one was chucked in a bucket of water by my son, so no longer works, and the other is started to behave erratically so I'm worried that the battery is dying.

Dear All,

It seems that I could get extra remote control in e-bay or any retailers. Then, I should follow the above sequences. Am I correct?

In my remote control,

it says,

RTT/D/X1123

Type:08191-00880

ALR 9546

Which item shall I check in my extra purchase?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Batteries were easily changed - just needed to prise the thing open from the strap-end (looked like a sealed unit though!). Still no idea what the connectors are for, though :wacko:

yes trhe battery can be changed unfortunately i have no idea what the three pin connector is for. i foyu find out please post as i have the same fob

Silly question, but can anyone help me out- is it possible to change the battery in these fobs? I have exactly the same one as described above. I have two fobs - one was chucked in a bucket of water by my son, so no longer works, and the other is started to behave erratically so I'm worried that the battery is dying.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

New here - but along the lines of this thread just thought i ought to fill you in on what happened to me last week.

Firstly, for the guy who asked earlier in this thread, the three pronged thing on the side is the section where Toyota plug your key fob into their diagnostic system to resynchronise your alarm and diagnose alarm faults - see makes sense now doesn't it? :thumbsup:

Secondly, my car - carina E 1.6 M reg, with exact alarm as you guys, the alarm/immobiliser wouldn't deactivate so having looked at your website I used the method explained in the hope that that would work and unfortunately for me it didn't. Though, after months of wondering what that silly round key was on the ring, realised that it turns off the siren lol.

Rang several auto-electricians in the hope they could help and unfortunately they all laughed as soon as I said word Toyota, and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. :crybaby:

Rang my toyota dealership and they have informed me in no uncertain terms that this model of alarm/fob is notorious for being problematic and due to it's age it was highly unlikely it would be repairable, though if i trailored the car in they'd see what they could do.

Got the car there yesterday and Toyota attempted to resynchronise it and they couldnt' and they now inform me that they no longer do the alarm systems for cars over a certain age and are unable to provide replacement fobs for the alarm that is fitted.

As such they have sourced (from Halfords no less) a new standard alarm immobiliser and it will cost me the sum of £395 to have the old one removed and the new one fitted.

So if the method in this thread does not work for all of you then the above is what will happen. Just so your prepared.

Hope the information helps.

Cara xx

Hi, please advise me whether give up now or try other solution?

1. I have Carina-E CD 19.8 AUTO with two immobiliser key and one remote fob.

2. Now, I want to make one more remote fob for my wife. Because, it is not easy to share one remote fob for two. Once, she for got to lock the door with key then Carina-e had been alarmed automoatically after certain seconds, hence she should have left the car in parking lot until I brought back to my home.

3. I bought two remote fob with same part number from e-bay, then tried to sync these fobs. But failed.

4. What I did is to press both two button and count until 10 times, but failed. After Inginition switch is ON and disconnes and reconned car Battery, Ignition OFF, then press both buttons, but failed, albeit my original remote fob still works well.

5. In some of thread, somebody mentioned about green switch to reset remote system. What is the sequence of them? Any guidline or procedures for this job?

Thanks in advance for your kind & prompt advise.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would add my tuppence worth to this immotive topic.

Like many of you, my car had immobilised (after a flat battery), and having read ALL the suggestions here, I could not resync the key fobs....

Toyota were charging £200 to remove the alarm, as nor can they resync it, it is so old!

RAC said they could MOST LIKELY remove the alarm, but if not could tow me to Toyota (total £350, as not a member of RAC)

Then HURRAH! My local car mechanic gave me the number of an auto-electrican. 10 mins and £35 was all it took.

Obviously this method is no good if you want an alarm, but my car is so old, and has so many miles that (hopefully) no one will want to steal it :unsure:

Good luck. Julie

If you read my another post below mentioning about 3 remote fob, you might interestingly add more remote fob for your carina-e.

Thanks for your reply.

• 10 months later...

Hi...

i have to say first, this !Removed! TTDS alarm is irritating the life out of me.

I bought my Carina E 1.6 GS last year and the only problem really was that the remote central locking and alarm system did not work, but with a remote switch from maplin and a bit of wiring, i added a remote to operate the central locking, this was all i needed.

I just had to garage my carina because i tore the flange from the CAT section of the exhaust and do not have money just yet to repair, so I disconnected the Battery to conserve power and make sure i could start it again later.

I reconnected the Battery today to unlock the car and start it to make sure it still started ok, immediately the hazard lights started flashing, i thought maybe i'd left them on, so unlocked and checked, i hadn't, the immobiliser has kicked in and i can't disarm it. i have 2 fobs which light up although the batteries are a bit passed their best as i haven't needed to use them since buying the car so i don't know if they work or not because the light dims when i press the button and they don't do anything to the immobiliser. i cannot disarm by using the key in any of the locks, because the drivers door doesn't activate the central locking anyway and the passenger door lock has never turned, i can start the engine by disconnecting the - Battery terminal and putting the key in switching on and reconnecting the battery terminal, this allows me to start the engine, but once i stop it and take the key out, i'm back to square one.

does it make any difference what position the switch on the side of the fobs is in, is there a way of checking they work and does the little flat blade screw under the toyota name mean anything?

what can i do, and is there anyway to bypass the car's alarm ecu or immobiliser without going to an auto electrician, i'm competent with car electrics myself by experience, but i just need to know where to start as the haynes manual says nothing about the toyota theft deterrant system at all.

anything u can give me would be fantastic...

before you disconnect the Battery you must turn the circular key in the black box - i think this is where a lot of you are getting problems. i also have a carina e 2.0gli estate on an 'm'. when the Battery dies on you and the fob isnt recognised hold the black button until in resync's.

edit. you will struggle to get manuals for the alarm for obvious reasons!

• 1 month later...

:D hello folks

had problem today with car immobiliser, could not start car.

called RAC out, told that i would need to have the immobiliser removed, expensive job.

so what i done was to remove glove compartment, behind which i found box with a little screw and a three pin connector, same as on my plip.

so i turned this little screw split my plip aprt and moved the little screw inside until they synced with each other, now doors lock and unlock as well.

my plip has the red button black button and three pin connector.

hope this helps

• 9 months later...

 Disconnect Negative battery terminal leaving positive connected.

 Reconnect battery terminal.

 Alarm should work.

Good Luck.

Just carried out this procedure to the letter, after struggling with the problem for a couple of weeks, worked first time, ( had to buy a new Battery for the fob, £1 49 from Maplin). make sure the window is open as the central locking activates and locks the doors. thanks for all your good advice.

• 5 months later...

I have tried the series of steps mentioned in other responses and was able to start my car (1995 Carina) but about a week later, I had the same problem again. The alarm goes off when I open the boot with the key. We lock the car at night with the key and in the morning the door is unlocked. Our Fob is old and the top of the black button is worn away so we prefer to use the key. Any suggestions?