Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 Corolla Sr

philjones1978

Hi guys. I have a few technical queries that I was hoping one (or some) of you could help me with. I've just bought a 1998 Corolla SR and obviously want to modify it in a few ways. I was wondering how the Toyota emblem, 'Toyota', Corolla' and '1.6' badges were attached to the bodywork so that I could de-badge the car. Also, does anyone know the speaker sizes for my car? Halfords didn't have a clue. I suppose I could always measure them myself after removing the trim. Finally (!), I want to fit alloy wheels but have heard of about 4 different offsets for my car. Does anyone out there actually know the correct offset? I don't want my car to handle like a pig. Cheers in advance for your help.

Hi mate great choice of car!!! :D

All the badges are attached by glue but get someone who knows what they are doing to take them off! :D u can really stuff the paint work if yo dont :censor: I have read on the internet, and have tried to remove the badges with boiling hot water and some string and it seems ok until you dry the area and realise that u just stuffed your nice shiny paint work :censor: yes i did do this :thumbsup: :ffs:

Halford are dicks when it comes to Speakers mate. :lol:

The rear Speakers are an ***** to get replaced :ffs: I could not find the correct size so went and got some 6x9's put in the rear shelf!! :thumbsup:

The fronts I belive are eaiser, I have alpine in mine can't rember the size but get some one to fit them taking those door pannels of is a pain :ffs: ill get the size for you tomorrow and put up here ill try and take a picture of my insatll also :lol:

Not sure about the offset on the wheels mate. There is another guy on here ae111sr who will be able to help you out with that :thumbsup:

Finally (!), I want to fit alloy wheels but have heard of about 4 different offsets for my car. Does anyone out there actually know the correct offset? I don't want my car to handle like a pig.

The offset is a strange one. It's 42mm which will retrict you choice of aftermarket wheels somewhat. I assume that you still have the original 14" Wolfrace Racelites on the car - if so remove one of them and have a look at the back of the rim. You will find the offset shown as a number ET 42, that's the offset. With 7x16" rims and 205 tyres I found ET38 caused a lot of "tramlining" and when I lowered the car the tyres fouled the arches so badly that I ended up selling the wheels for half what I had bought them for. I ended up with League 7x16 GT-R wheels (ET42) with 195x45x16 Pirelli P-Zero tyres and still needed the arches to be modified.

The offset is a strange one. It's 42mm which will retrict you choice of aftermarket wheels somewhat.  I assume that you still have the original 14" Wolfrace Racelites on the car - if so remove one of them and have a look at the back of the rim.  You will find the offset shown as a number ET 42,  that's the offset.  With 7x16" rims and 205 tyres I found ET38 caused a lot of "tramlining" and when I lowered the car the tyres fouled the arches so badly that I ended up selling the wheels for half what I had bought them for.  I ended up with League 7x16 GT-R wheels (ET42) with 195x45x16 Pirelli P-Zero tyres and still needed the arches to be modified.

There seems to be different offsets depending whats Your country in europe... My rolla has ET 39 with default steel wheels and 175/65x14 tires.

I have also probs with 7x15 ET 35 wheels and 195/60x15 tires, yes; they oversized but I like the smooth ride. And ofcourse; not lowered with those tires ;)

ET 38 should do fine in My Car (mine will be soon after some lathe work); it hits fenders only when heavy loaded. With ET 40 205 wide tires should be fine (with stock susp)?

I have found wheel recommendations with offset 40 to 44 for 98-01 rolla. Dont know whats the inner limit thought...

Thanks for your help guys, especially with the offset. I'd all but given up on getting new alloys. All I need to do now is find a nice 7-spoke design with the correct offset and I'm in business! Might get them in black like my cars bodywork. Then again, it might look c**p.

I have a black Sr can you put a pic up? Have you done anything to it?

My wheels are 16" 205/45 speedline 2010's white :thumbsup::thumbsup:

At the moment my car is completely standard. (apart from removing all the crappy dealer and toyota stickers from the windows) Obviously I have plans! I think due to limited funds i'll drop it, put 15" alloys on it, greenstuff pads, a chip, an induction kit and a mongoose 'zorst, debadge it, remove the rear seats, and the usual interior and ice mods.

At the moment my car is completely standard. (apart from removing all the crappy dealer and toyota stickers from the windows) Obviously I have plans! I think due to limited funds i'll drop it, put 15" alloys on it, greenstuff pads, a chip, an induction kit and a mongoose 'zorst, debadge it, remove the rear seats, and the usual interior and ice mods.

Sounds like a good plan mate! keep me informed on what your doing to it! :thumbsup::thumbsup: have a look at my website at what I have done to mine :D :D :D

Nice web site. Tell me, does your friend's Corolla look goood with a drop and 15" alloys. I was worried that mine will look too small but thought that as I was only aiming for 130-ish bhp 15"'s would be fine.

If your mate Pete does get new wheels, let me know...as you know Im in search of replacement G6R wheels! :thumbsup:

Nice wheels. According to some info I found the PCD and ET of the SR is the same as the Mark1 Renault Clio so getting wheels shouldn't be too problematic. I can't wait to get it sorted. First thing I'm doing is getting it de-badged and a few dings and chips sorted out at a bodyshop. Then in August I'll have enough money to drop it and maybe change the wheels. I can't wait to feel the difference in the handling. At the moment it's quite twitchy with some snappy lift off oversteer, fun but scary. I'm chuffed I got this car though. I was looking at Saxo VTR's but they're so flimsy and overpriced. I managed to get my SR for £4800 from a main dealer with one OAP owner, fsh and 25,000 on the clock. I was well chuffed. I turned up to look at a GS but when i saw the metallic black paint I just had to pay the extra!

Nice wheels. According to some info I found the PCD and ET of the SR is the same as the Mark1 Renault Clio so getting wheels shouldn't be too problematic. I can't wait to get it sorted. First thing I'm doing is getting it de-badged and a few dings and chips sorted out at a bodyshop. Then in August I'll have enough money to drop it and maybe change the wheels. I can't wait to feel the difference in the handling. At the moment it's quite twitchy with some snappy lift off oversteer, fun but scary. I'm chuffed I got this car though. I was looking at Saxo VTR's but they're so flimsy and overpriced. I managed to get my SR for £4800 from a main dealer with one OAP owner, fsh and 25,000 on the clock. I was well chuffed. I turned up to look at a GS but when i saw the metallic black paint I just had to pay the extra!

If your going to drop it mate get TTE springs :thumbsup:

Are you coming to the JAE?

Saxo's Pah :lol: I had a 106 rallye i would eat saxo's for lunch in that :lol: The corolla is a much better car mate good choice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

£4800 is a good price for that mileage mate :thumbsup:

I was going to go for the Fensport springs and dampers package. Fairly pricey but should be good quality.

I won't be going to the JAE, not until I've made enough modifications to it. Maybe next year or the year after.

As for Saxo's, I agree. So poorly built. I'm pretty confident that with my SR I'll have a fairly sporty car that will last me 150,000 miles.

Don't worry about moding your SR before going to JAE. All Toyota cars are welcome on the TOC pitch - standard or modified. Just come along and meet the peeps - you'll be made welcome :group-cuddles: :meet: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I won't be going to the JAE, not until I've made enough modifications to it. Maybe next year or the year after.

Dont worry about it mate come anyway the TOC stand is not just for modified cars its a toyota car stand for all toyota models :group-cuddles:

come on you know you want too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

What does the JAE stand for? I definately won't be making it this year. All future funds have been allocated for my car and my girlfriend!

Yeah you definitely gotta come.

Doesn't matter if your car standard, modified, new, old whatever, everyone is welcome :D

Least you don't have a great dint in your boot :lol:

You'll all have to look what I mean at JAE :angry:

Spoke to my friend the other day, he about to start work on my new boot lid B)

Then he's having my car in Sept while I'm on holiday B)

Not this year sorry lads.

Going slightly off topic, I live in West Wales. Anyone recommend good tyres for wet weather performance? I was thinking about Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Also, are the fensport springs any good?

Are KYB dampers good or am I better going for the Koni's?

Eagle F1's are the dogs :censor: but they are expensive but you get what you pay for :D a top tyre

Dont know anyone who has the fensport springs but there the same as my TTE +20% Stiffer and -35mm so there probably ok <_<

If your going to uprate the dampers I would go for the koni's :thumbsup: I have heard good things about the KYB's but dont know anyone with them in there car. The standard dampers will be ok mate depends what you want to do with the car :thumbsup: