Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Box Problem

ghecko

OK about 3 months after getting my car last year (Bought for £3,200 Non tubby but with K&N Air Filter, Air Con etc etc ). I started to have an issue with third gear. 8 months later the problem is still there exactly the same and I'm fed up with it. I've changed the oil in the gearbox and also changed the bushes from rubber to metal(bearings) and no change (Apart from slightly tighter gears).

I took it to some friend of the family machanic who said it would cost 1k to look at the gear box as its so hard to take out.

The symptoms are as follows:

When I go from 2nd or 4th to 3rd is makes a very quick crunching sort of noise - not too loud and last less than 1/2 of a second. Moving into 3rd it seems as though something is out of line somewhere but the noise also seems to come from the gear stick not behind where the gearbox is. I have also found that if I move into 3rd slightly to the right of center it goes in fine - also slowness of changing helps too. The problem has never gotten any worse - doesn't effect any other gears and everythiong else runs like a dream.

I am looking to upgrade soon to a tubby however I feel that I'm going to have a lot of trouble selling a car with the fault.

Does anyone have A) Any ideas what it could be, and B) Whats going to be the best way to deal with it.

I don't want to spend 1k so someone can look at the gearbox and say it all looks fine must be something else.

I've been toying with the idea of selling private and seeing what the reaction is from private sellers, but don't want to look like a tit when they ask whats up with 3rd gear sometimes.

Selling part ex and get crap money for it.

Or trying to find someone who can diagnose the problem for less than 1k

Any help appreciated guys.

Ta

sorry to hear your 2 is havin a prob :( from previous threads concerning this kind of crunch noise... a lot of 2's seem to have crunches so maybe it wont be that hard getting decent money for it if rest of car is sweet as most may not expect to get an absolutely perfect car.... they are fairly old cars now despite their timeless beauty :thumbsup:

gl solveing it if you go that way, and gl getting nice money if you go that way.... if someone offers you pennies you can always cough and tell them to go stroke a bhudda statue and see what happens regarding getting the 2 :)

best of luck :thumbsup:

£1000 to look at the gearbox?? WTF?!?!?.. that is taking the PIZZ!!!

My local garage will open up my old gearbox, remove the diff. Remove my current one and fit the the diff into it.

All for about £180 ish!!

It's a bit awkward to get out if you're doing it yourself, but for a garage it should be no problem. Especially if they know what they're doing.

Worst case scenario... buy a 2nd hand box. I lost 5th gear a while back now and got a 2nd hand gbox for £200 inc postage!! A mate then fitted it for £50!!

OK about 3 months after getting my car last year (Bought for £3,200 Non tubby but with K&N Air Filter, Air Con etc etc ). I started to have an issue with third gear. 8 months later the problem is still there exactly the same and I'm fed up with it. I've changed the oil in the gearbox and also changed the bushes from rubber to metal(bearings) and no change (Apart from slightly tighter gears).

I took it to some friend of the family machanic who said it would cost 1k to look at the gear box as its so hard to take out.

The symptoms are as follows:

When I go from 2nd or 4th to 3rd is makes a very quick crunching sort of noise - not too loud and last less than 1/2 of a second. Moving into 3rd it seems as though something is out of line somewhere but the noise also seems to come from the gear stick not behind where the gearbox is. I have also found that if I move into 3rd slightly to the right of center it goes in fine - also slowness of changing helps too. The problem has never gotten any worse - doesn't effect any other gears and everythiong else runs like a dream.

I am looking to upgrade soon to a tubby however I feel that I'm going to have a lot of trouble selling a car with the fault.

Does anyone have A) Any ideas what it could be, and B) Whats going to be the best way to deal with it.

I don't want to spend 1k so someone can look at the gearbox and say it all looks fine must be something else.

I've been toying with the idea of selling private and seeing what the reaction is from private sellers, but don't want to look like a tit when they ask whats up with 3rd gear sometimes.

Selling part ex and get crap money for it.

Or trying to find someone who can diagnose the problem for less than 1k

Any help appreciated guys.

Ta

Could be a few things. First of all are you sure that the clutch is disengaging properly? Is the bite unusually low?

If its not that its probably the synchros. Probably the best thing to do would be to get a reconditioned gearbox and put that in. I wouldnt have thought it would cost as much as £1K tho, thats taking the ***** a bit.

If anyone knows a good garage in the Berkshire area and any good gearboxes going cheap please let me know.

Thanks

Find out if the Turbo one fits .. I've got a spare ..

I go to Millway in Andover (and I'm in Reading) as they are the best local.