Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 D4d Speedometer

druand

I have recently purchased my first RAV4 and find when speedometer shows 70mph actual speed is only 63mph and showing 80mph actual is 72mph.

Toyota dealer comfirms this but Toyota G.B. will not take any action as it is within 10% , an industry accepted tolerance.

Anyone had similar problems or better still a cure as it is a bit worrying when on motorways and cruising around 80mph with needle showing 90+?

I've driven several makes of car, with my Raod Angel installed, and they were all out on the speedo. This includes Mitsubishi, Vauxhall, Renault, Pugeot and Ford. If you look in the specs you will see it gives a +/-10% for the speedo accuracy, so no, Mr T probably will not do any thing about it as it is within spec.

Have you checked the wear on your tyres. If they are low on tread this will make the speedo reeding further off as the wheels have to turn a little bit more to go the same distance. My tyres are down from the 8mm of tread when new to between 4 and 5 mm of tread and my speedo reading has gone out by another 2MPH. All manafacturers rate the speedo on a full tread pattern.

I have recently purchased my first RAV4 and find when speedometer shows 70mph actual speed is only 63mph and showing 80mph actual is 72mph.

Toyota dealer comfirms this but Toyota G.B. will not take any action as it is within 10%  , an industry accepted tolerance.

Anyone had similar problems or better still a cure as it is a bit worrying when on motorways and cruising around 80mph with needle showing 90+?

I own a Garmin GPSMap60C and have noticed that the speedo on my Rav underreads too! Approx 8% or thereabouts. It is not just common to the Rav though, as my corolla used to, as does:- dad's seat, my bro's passat, the Nissan Sardine-Tin (sorry, Micra) I hired in Tenerife.

I emailed Garmin asking whether, in their opinion it was all the cars speedo's that were out or whether is was the GPS. They replied and said, that the GPS is 100% accurate, and to rely on the speed that it indicates and not the cars.

Hhhhm, wonder if PC Plod would accept that?

Phil.

Nearly all speedos under-read - by design This let's the makers off the hook if you are caught speeding.

And although it's acknowledged, a test case was thrown out when a motorist got caught speeding suggesting that he knew the speedo was under-reading so he went faster than the speedo read!

With better electronics (and sat nav as standard in some cars) there will be a tendancy (or potential at least) for some cars to actually show an accurate figure.

Clearly though, just because a car has (in built) sat nav, it isn't necessarilly linked to the speedo.

I am using a Medion Sat. Nav. in my new xt3 d4d and the results I obtained are in my original post.

To clarify, vehicle is new, now 3,000mls so tyres as new.

Comparison with same sat.nav. when fitted in my 2004 Mondeo is within 3-4 mph and in partners 2000 Alfa 156 it is accurate at 60mph and only 2mph difference at 70. both of which tyres have about 1/2 worn.

From replies posted most vehicle understate true mph but still think Toyota could be a bit more accurate.

Thanks for replies

Drew

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links