Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ah Bobbins.... Gearbox Problem

Jinxed

just when i was starting to trust my 2 again its developed a problem.

driveing it nicely all slow like and suddenly find out on gear change im stuck in 2nd. gearsticks gone kinda floppy/chunky and does nothing. cars stuck in gear, can use clutch. no horrible noises before or after ...just went.

looked under car and cables are ok. theres movement all the way to inside the gearbox.... oh dear ....here we go again.

anyone got any idea about what might have happened and if its easily remediable

or is it looking like mrT going to be looking after her again for a lil while ...... hope this doesnt cost major money again.... :(

sorry jj looks like im not gonna be making any meet this monday in her. and if mr T ends up sorting it and they give me a yaris courtesy car.... im gonna be staying in till shes sorted cos theyre nasty :crybaby:

looking forward to a time where shes all better

i havent got the know how or stuff to do such a job sadly :(

was having a look lil earlier and... my dad reckons the selectors gone. hes leaning towards MrT'ing her again as i suspected would be case. He doesnt like messing with cars anymore himself soooo.... looking like its a money jolt again .... thanks for the headsup tho :)

gonna be a mighty skint xmas for me this year ....oh well after this surely nothing else can go as all major bits will have been replaced...... gulp speaking too soon maybe lol

maybe Shell be nice for and all the coming summer :rolleyes:

anyone know how much a paintjob on a porsche 944 costs? cos the guy who sold this car might be needing one sometime fair soon grrrr lol

Seems strange for the box to give up without any warning like that. Don't know much about the selector, presume that means a re-con job? My box has had a crunch in 3rd gear for nearly 18 months and is still going :unsure: .

try the bushes, u can get a set on eBay for a score that are made of brass and dont perish, i had a smiliar probley and that sorted it out a treat

looks like its gonna be a recon job.... hoping i can get her into MrT tomoz. those guys are gonna be like oh man hes back lol .... just dont want to be without her for xmas .... if they can get her back before xmas im gonna be content, skint ....but content :D

hope this is the last of the major troubles ill be having with her! :yes:

It will be miles cheaper for you buying a second hand gbox mate. I lost 5th gear a while back with no warning what so ever.

Got a 2nd hand box from gtschris for £200 inc delivery. Not had any probs to date. Gear changes feel smoother than my old gbox also.

I've gone through 3 gearboxes so far :crybaby: (there crap)

Oh and damn right they do go "without any warning" :help:

but in saying that i've become pretty profeciant at fitting them now :rolleyes: :arrgg-matey:

Got a 2nd hand box from gtschris for £200 inc delivery. Not had any probs to date. Gear changes feel smoother than my old gbox also.

I'd hope so too, your old gearbox was nasty, I would know! :D B)

Jinxed, why Mr T? Can you not take it to a local garage? They'd be a million times cheaper! :thumbsup:

And what's this you're saying about Yaris'? :censor: :P

gulp ummm it wasnt me erm it was my evil half twin :lol: j/k i am the evil half twin :P j/k :)

i got a 1.0 yaris courtesy car last major job on the 2. it was just a standard nuttin special courtesy car so it obviously wouldnt compare to a yaris someone loved and made their own, ...or an mr2 turbo :) in essence there wasnt anything wrong with it bar small probs like reverse being hard to select n stuff. it was just far too sedate a car for me, im used to fuel injected 1400-1800's and had just been getting thrilled by a 2.0 tubby 2. im sowwy yaris owners .... i was jus bein a mouthy :censor: cos i was in pain :D i have no doubt that some of the toc yaris's are far more special than that courtesy yaris i was in :thumbsup:

as for why MrT, though i appreciate it could get done more cheaply elsewhere, there isnt anywhere else i or my dad trust with it. a number of places have flatly refused to touch her, had it looked at for couple of small jobs by a few locals and they made ubikups of fixing small things after reassurrances they knew what they were doing. :(

If I knew of a good garage that would do the job expertly or knew a mechy who could do it skillfully for only a reasonable price id be all for it :thumbsup:

also .... beggining with really small things im trying to learn about her but itll be a long time before im anywhere near able to mess with the big stuff.

MrT has the honour as theyve done the jobs theyve done well, and theyre local, and theyve given great service. not cheap i know, but gold member discount has helped dramatically and saved a packet. Also, the staff at MrT in Bolton are really really nice and its feeling kinda like a loyalty thing too, theyve done a lot to make this car mechanically sweet so far and by the way theyve been with us, i know theyre wanting this car to be all it can be as they love mr2's also, their faces when shes been sorted have had that misty eyed 'in love with someone elses partner' kinda thing goin on, for this I trust them implicitly as we have a shared interest in the wellbeing of my 2 :) i know they love this car and all other 2's almost as much as i love her and love other peoples 2's. i know some lucky people get 'better' cars. But imo anyone whose found love with a 2 found something very very special that deserves preserving for time immemorial.

I guess this is my effort to immortalise a car, and the love its let me experience(man i musta had some pretty crappy girlfriends thus far bar one lol) :thumbsup:

peace all and ....as the story unfolds ill keep posting the trials and tribulations of a resurrected 2 :)

well shes down at MrT now :) as always they were wonderful. They had a quick look while i was there and reported that although it isnt just a cable thats come off or a cataclysmic problem with the gearbox for definate, it seems the selector shaft thingummybob has fallen apart, (i was in shock, was expecting really bad news to go along with the rest of the bad news i had this morning so i dont recall their exact words lol) :unsure: .

though theyre going to have to look more closely to be certain of whats happened it might only be a relatively minor job compared with new gearbox ...whew for the moment :thumbsup:

heres hoping some news filters in tonight and im looking at having her back in only a couple of days....that long i think ill last without getting caustic from driving the volvo estate :D yep a courtesy yaris would be heaven compared to that :yes:

if ever im in a position to buy a new car from a showroom.... i think its gonna be a T from MrT. Theyve definately looked after and are continuing to look after me. My hats off to them :thumbsup:

ooo and ....to get at the thing they think is guffed apparently all thats required is to remove the starter motor and apparently the thing comes out of the gearbox as a unit so..... hopefully itll be quick and if ever someone on here experiences something like this theyll have a bit of info that might help them :thumbsup:

if it's a new selector, it's a easy and cheap change.

and I've had a yaris as a replacement car, and you DO feel short changed. If the garage wasn't so far away, I'd rather pack a skateboard.

and I've had a yaris as a replacement car, and you DO feel short changed. If the garage wasn't so far away, I'd rather pack a skateboard.

heh Bibbs mate id agree if i wasnt having to drive the volvo lol glad if it is selector im looking at getting her back soon :thumbsup:

heh Bibbs mate id agree if i wasnt having to drive the volvo lol glad if it is selector im looking at getting her back soon :thumbsup:

I've been through new selectors, g'boxes and driveshafts .. All at separate times :(

It's an expensive hobby.

It's an expensive hobby.

too true...i had no idea how expensive when i bought :yes: but its looking like the thing that will stop me smoking as its the car or the cigs.... and the cars winning hands down :D :thumbsup:

I seriously cut down tomorrow and then by end of week im stopping it dead :rolleyes: hope i manage okay as last time i tried i was a monster after 3 days :lol::thumbsup:

the saving grace to all the probs ive had thus far is that im thinking when its all sound its gonna be an ideal platform to make a 400+ bhp car.... i cant even imagine that lol

Out of interest, how much did you spend a week on cigs? You can put the money saved towards the car now  :)

presently on 20 a day thereabouts... and not happy about it. so approx 35 quid a week :eek: i keep thinking things like 3 weeks no smoking and i can have a dumpvalve with what ive saved :thumbsup: just wondering what my insurance company might say if they ever look at the car and find it most certainly isnt standard anymore if half the things i want get done :lol:

got some news also... it is the selector shaft... snapped in 2 ... looking at wednesday to get her back(tho im thinking it might really be thur or fri :rolleyes: ) and the cost.... omg lol approx £220 but obviously its way cheaper than a whole gearbox replacement whew :yes: maybe not quite as skint as first thought at xmas :D

ive had 4 bad things in last 2 days now .... wheres the other 2 :unsure::ph34r::wacko: ;)

one day down in my wait with the volvo. :)

st helens and back in the battering ram. of all things about that car thats the one fun thing, people get awkward and dont want to let you in ..... and most of the time theyre playing russian roulette with someone armed with grenades. i try and play nice with them ....but with all the roadworks moving about up there and the stupidity that ensues with people not letting others in even if theyre 800 yards from the roadworks and trying to get in the que without going right to the end....... i couldnt help sacking them off and barging in way further down the line to their probable annoyance.

was told itll probably be ready about dinner but as i wont be able to go get her till teatime they have a lil longer in which to get done. will it wont it.... dear god i hope it will. gotta go for a drink with colleagues from work in st helens on friday and the boss is probably going to be accepting a lift after its done ... ok a volvo might be a more sedate safe journey but.... a lift in ma tubby :D hmmm should i make like its stolen? :lol::ph34r: looool

fingers x for tomoz .... be a truly crap day if she isnt ready and Shell be a saving grace if she is :thumbsup:

well shes back :D and the gear shift is nicer than it was before. going to take her for a spin a little later and i hope its resolved a slight crunch i had in 5th and a bit of dificulty selecting reverse sometimes. came out at a reasonable price and .....it was bliss to get back in her. It was a crap day.... and then it wasnt anymore :D

MrT even washed and vacuumed her ....how nice are they for doing that :thumbsup: the guys n gals of RRG Toyota Bolton have been wonderful .... i highly recommend them even if they cost more than independants :yes:

hopefully my 2's on the up n up now :D

the spin was nice :thumbsup: altho the crunch in 5th is still there, reverse is eminently selectable now :yes: car sounded a lil bit diferent.... not sure about that and will be keeping my ears open next few days... sounded like noise was getting inside from somewhere new but ... oh after the volvo it was bliss. so much power the back wheels were losin traction in 3rd, enough to make me think hang on im gonna slide offroad if i do this round a bend lol

lightkit was on and again all of the police i drove past didnt even bat eyelids, tho i bet one of these days one will. after an hour of just cruisin about i came home had a brew and watched 'the devils rejects'. nice end to a nice evening. sheri-moon zombie is a hottie espescially when shes A) being a psycho and B) dancing

:thumbsup: