Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Imagining Engine Rattle?

foft

Just took my Yaris (1.3 colour collection 05) up to the Lakes for a week. On the way back I think I noticed a new metallic rattling from the engine. After accelerating hard the engine seems to rattle when I lift off to change up a gear. e.g. change to 4th after accelerating to 70 in 3rd on a slip road. I think this started after I took it over (a very wet/rainy/flooded) Hard Knott pass. However it may have always done it and I'm just being paranoid. Its still driving fine, I'm just suspicious of new noises! At some times it sounds like my old Triumph 2000 did when it was Pinking.

If I drive the car easily, don't rev much it behaves itself...

Any tips on tracking this down. Is it normal? Just wondering if its worth taking in for a check.

Thanks,

Mark

Just took my Yaris (1.3 colour collection 05) up to the Lakes for a week. On the way back I think I noticed a new metallic rattling from the engine. After accelerating hard the engine seems to rattle when I lift off to change up a gear. e.g. change to 4th after accelerating to 70 in 3rd on a slip road. I think this started after I took it over (a very wet/rainy/flooded) Hard Knott pass. However it may have always done it and I'm just being paranoid. Its still driving fine, I'm just suspicious of new noises! At some times it sounds like my old Triumph 2000 did when it was Pinking.

If I drive the car easily, don't rev much it behaves itself...

Any tips on tracking this down. Is it normal? Just wondering if its worth taking in for a check.

Thanks,

Mark

hart knott pass, thats near my kneck of the woods, wots an essex boy doing down there? :thumbsup:

hart knott pass, thats near my kneck of the woods, wots an essex boy doing down there?  :thumbsup:

Just up in the Lakes for some walking. Had a climb of Hellvelyn in the cloud then various other shorter walks to recover. It was somewhat damp and flooded when I was there.

Anyway had to drive over Hard Knott, just because its a nice scary road and Aleisha said I wasn't allowed:-) The Yaris had to prove itself!

Mark

Thats a serious bit of road - check your oil etc - could be something and nothing

Yeah I'll give that a check - not looked for a bit. Is it worth an early change in a new Yaris or should I wait for the service? My first car so I'm not to hot on maintaining it well...

Thanks,

Mark

Hi mate, it's under warranty so take it in for a check. :yes:

Excellent choice of car by the way! :thumbsup:

Just took my Yaris (1.3 colour collection 05) up to the Lakes for a week. On the way back I think I noticed a new metallic rattling from the engine. After accelerating hard the engine seems to rattle when I lift off to change up a gear. e.g. change to 4th after accelerating to 70 in 3rd on a slip road.

Slightly off topic - Do you accelerate to 70 in 3rd often??

Take it to MrT if you are in doubt.

Slightly off topic - Do you accelerate to 70 in 3rd often??

Take it to MrT if you are in doubt.

Only on short sliproads where I need to get up to speed or if I need to overtake quickly. So not really very often. I notice it more accerating to 30 in 2nd -> or 20 in 1st. Is that bad?

Is changing up late bad for it? I never hit the red parts in the rev counter...

Mark

Only on short sliproads where I need to get up to speed or if I need to overtake quickly. So not really very often. I notice it more accerating to 30 in 2nd -> or 20 in 1st. Is that bad?

Is changing up late bad for it? I never hit the red parts in the rev counter...

Mark

Bad? No no no. You're not using the engine properly yet!

1st takes me to 34, 2nd to 60, 3rd to whatever speed is required to join the motorway safely and then 4th and 5th are to cruise!

It's a very revvy engine, therefore revving it is what it's designed to do... make the most of it. (Unless you like your petrol to last a long time.)