Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have You Lost You Number Plate?

Bob69

Hi, I'm a freelance journalist writing about personal number plate insurance. I'm looking for people who have lost the right to their number plate after their car was written off or stolen. :crybaby:

Has this happened to you or someone you know? If so, please get in touch.

Many thanks

rubyspeechley@btopenworld.com

Never had this problem, although my dad did get a phone call off some1 who had bought the remains of his old car when that was wrote off & offered to sell him the plate back for more than he (the fella) had paid for the car, my dad just told him it hadn't given him much luck so he could keep it.

This is one of the topic's that you never hear about until it happens. Okay I probably wouldn't have a private plate, but I do have extra things on my car which if it did become a write-off I would want back.

I have no idea on where I would stand with the law, but I assume that there is a price to pay to get your stuff back ..... as there always is!

I would be interested to read you article when completed :thumbsup:

I've never even thought about number plates but to answer your bit Dave

I had one car written off, and I asked about going to get bits off it and they said I could visit the yard it was in and take anything out of the car that didn't come as standard.

I took my Stereo, cd changer, amp, wiring, Speakers, floor mats and even the philips bulbs I had put in the headlights! (although they only lasted a month after!)

I have a private plate on my car - and would be interested in reading your article when its finished.

I have nothing to contribute to it I'm afraid, as my car has not been stolen or written off - but I would be interested in the finished article

As far as I can make out, the number plate is assigned to the car. The registered keeper of the car effectively owns the rights to the numberplate. If the car is written off, then the insurance co. will want the log book in order to take ownership of the car. Presumably you must get the plate off the car before you hand over the log book otherwise you will loose it.

If the car is stolen and not recovered, then it appears to be a bit more complicated. The registration is quarantined by the DVLA for 12 months, after which the original keeper of the vehicle can request it back.

DISCLAIMER

**All this is just my interpretation of how it works, it could be total rubbish**

This problem is totally avoidable...

I have written off cars with pesonal plates... as long as the tax, mot, and insurance is still valid, you can remove it!!!

AS for stolen plates, you never "own" a private plate, you merely pay for the right to use that registration!! So the actual vehicle being stolen, should not affect it, unless you are "lax" in re registering the plate!!!!!!!

One way you can lose it is if you forget to pay your retention fee.... but you'd have to be a muppet to do that too......... *cough*