Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Question

worboren

Hello all,

A quick question: have just bought a 1999 Avensis second hand and am having issues with the insurance company who insist I must have 2 keys and 2 alarm controls in order for them to do the full insurance. :unsure: I've only got 1 key and 1 control from the previous owner but when I tried asking around someone at a local alarm systems shop told me 1999 Avensis came from the factory with 1 key/immobilizer only. Anyone could shed some light on this for me please? Today's Saturday and I can't call any Toyota dealers but I'd love to know the truth by Monday morning. :rolleyes:

TIA

Also a grey key with no alarm and a grey tab with a code on.

I've got my keys in my hand and i always thought it was to get a spare cut from if i every lost one but it's shaped differently at the end,can anyone shed any light on this grey key then :unsure:

I've got my keys in my hand and i always thought it was to get a spare cut from if i every lost one but it's shaped differently at the end,can anyone shed any light on this grey key then :unsure:

Heh, certainly not me :D

Thanks for the quick reply! :thumbsup:

No problem mate.Just wondered on the security side of things how many owners has the car had because if it's one then he definately had 3 keys in total.

yeah i just bought 2000 avensis, 2 keys wiv alarm on and a grey key with tag and code printed on it.

only the end bit of grey key differes from other two, huh?

Hi everybody! :thumbsup:

Yep, three keys! Two black ones that control remote central locking/alarm and a grey one.

Oh yeah, the grey one is different because it only opens the doors and starts the car. It's a servicing key. Basically you can lock the boot and glove box so nobody can get in if they only have the grey key. This has no real function for the boot on a hatch back cause you can get in from inside the car. But on the saloon model you can safely lock things in the boot.

Sorry in toyota speak that's the liftback verses sedan? Basically you give it the greasy mechanic!

:rolleyes:

bought mine two weeks ago came with three keys. two black and one grey, the grey one is supposed to only open the boot and doors i think, it is not coded, the grey tab is the key code no for security so i am led to beleive, my insurance company tesco did not ask how many keys i had though

:wacko: sorry i just got owners manual out and it states vehicle is supplied with two kinds of key,

master key (black) does all

sub key (grey) this key does not work in the trunk/back door and glove box

the tab with the number on is the key number plate, used by toyota dealers to issue a spare key with the right code for engine immobiliser

sorry for the mistake :thumbsup: