Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Amazon

Avensis wagon

Ordered stuff weeks ago from Amazon. A nice little text came up indicating that the goods would be received on or before the 24th.

Only today: an e-mail tells me they can't get hold of one item (so why advertise it?) and after checking my order status (no e-mail this time) the text next to another item I ordered weeks ago has now changed to say that it won't be delivered until after the 25th. I only went through with the order due to the initial guarantee.

Seems to me that Amazon would rather promise what they can't deliver rather than lose a sale.

Anyone else had this?

Ordered stuff weeks ago from Amazon. A nice little text came up indicating that the goods would be received on or before the 24th.

Only today: an e-mail tells me they can't get hold of one item (so why advertise it?) and after checking my order status (no e-mail this time) the text next to  another item I ordered weeks ago has now changed to say that it won't be delivered until after the 25th. I only went through with the order due to the initial guarantee.

Seems to me that Amazon would rather promise what they can't deliver rather than lose a sale.

Anyone else had this?

Something similar but I just got them to send the stuff they could get and send the other stuff later on, which they did at no extra charge... But then both items fell under the free delivery thingy.

Could be that the stock was shown wrongly. Stock control systems are notoriously rubbish... I have to write them so I know the pitfalls, which are always human problems. ;)

Cheers,

Jim

Hi,

This seems quite unusually poor for Amazon service. Was it the european site that you ordered from?

If so, everything is shipped from a depot here in the UK and this week is our last Christmas posting dates for Europe. Perhaps they could not fulfill the order before these dates.

I would contact customer services about this and see if they can chase the order or cancel it for you :)

I've got fed up of using Amazon. It said to me once when i ordered some books for a friend that they would be back in stock in 2 weeks. THREE MONTHS later they finally showed up. Took 6 weeks for a DVD to come as well, and that was in stock. Poor service and high prices IMO. Play.com all the way, free delivery on everything and excellent prices

I ordered from the .co.uk site -- I am a UKadian after all!

I had forgiven Amazon for the early years when nothing came before Xmas as promised, but recently orders have been increasingly slow. And now, I order weeks in advance, promises for pre-Xmas delivery to locations both here and in the UK are made at the time of ordering, and at the last moment, and in one case without notification, the promise is broken. And that's quite a promise to break with Xmas toys. I will certainly be cancelling the outstanding delivery and consider other online store options.

What I have noticed through out this year is that if Amazon haven't written 'usually despatched in 24hrs or 2-3 days', it could be an eternal wait. Just like the Xbox 360 or preorders for video games, perhaps they should only sell what they actually have rather than take the money and hope they can source it. That's not customer-oriented service and I'm starting to think they've missed the point entirely.

A disappointed Andrew.

My experiences this Christmas are mixed....

I ordered Gift A (just incase he reads the forum!) for Rich at the beginning of December and it arrived within a matter of days

Gift B I ordered on the 8th.... said 24 hour dispatch but not delivered til the 16th December according to them.... and when I go to my accounts it just says "Dispatching Soon"

If I dont get it before Christmas, I'll be mightily peeved considering I ordered it on the 8th and it claimed to be in stock! :rolleyes:

I've noticed this too...

My copy of "Half of these Songs are about you" by Nizlopi is now almost a fortnight overdue and I only found out that they might not have it until after Christmas when I e-mailed their Cust Service people the other day.

On the other hand, they did get back to me quickly...

Play.com you say? I'll be right over...

A

I forgot to mention another Amazon naughty ths Xmas. My folks ordered 'Tumble Time Tigger' (no worries, the recipient can't read yet). It turned up soiled, didn't work properly... and had a sticker saying it was a display piece from Amazon's shop. How exactly did this item migrate back to the warehouse to be despatched with the new stock?

The folks solved the problem at Woolworths. It seems the only way you can be totally sure and not get stuck at the very last minute with defective goods is to fetch it yourself from a 'normal' shop. The online discount, if there is one, might not be worth the risk if you have a deadline, i.e. Xmas.