Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Won't Idle Down

rustydale

I own a 89 4x4 pu and just put a new fan clutch and thermastat in and while I had the air duct off to the throtle body I looked in at the throtle flap and saw some gummy stuff all around the flap, not to bad but I wanted to clean. I sprayed some carb and choke cleaner in the area and cleaned with a tooth brush, wiped off and it looks clean. Put everything back togather and cranked it now it want idle down to idle. I took the air duck back off and re-cleaned around the flap again and what I could in those little holes that I could see and sprayed again with the cleaner. Still idle's way high. Maybe I need to drive It some.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds to me that now things are back to what they were originally, you may have to go and have your engine re calibrated. Maybe it would be worth having someone like "Home Tune" or the like to put their diagnostic equipment on it. Once you start fiddling with air/fuel bits and bobs this quite often happens.

One way to help stop clogging up is by using something like RedX in your tank.

Far better to get your engine set up correctly again than fail MOT's due to emmissions being way too high.

Chap I used to work with many years ago ,him being a motor mechanic, told me the after the war people were comming to him to get their cars sorted out due to the length of time they were laid up, the engines being seized. He originally stripped and rebuilt the engines but discovered that back in those days if he poured neat REDx into the engine via the spark plugs, and cranked the engine by starting handle, bit by bit the engines freed up and got going again. How true this is I don't know butI have heard it is a very good product to keep engines clean.

Don't know if this is of any help but worth considering.

Realspeed

The most common cause of not idling down is a vacuum leak. Make sure all the vacuum pipes are secured from the intake manifold to wherever they go. Also make sure they are in the correct position.

Toyotas normally have a high idle speed until fully warmed up though. 1800rpm is not uncommon when cold.

As a last one, make sure the throttle flap is closing as it should, like that there are no obstructions inside the body and outside. Outside can be the throttle cable incorrectly adjusted etc.

If i'm stating the obvious to you then i'm sorry, but everyone has varying levels of knowledge. Just ignore the stuff you already know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links