Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise Control On New Avensis

Norbreck21a

Hi All,

This may have been discussed before, if so apologies.

I have a 1.8 T3-X 04 Avensis, and have started to do a lot of motorway miles. I was considering getting a newer Avensis to get cruise control, but then found it it's only available on the T-Spirit.

Does anyone know if it can be retro fitted to a 1.8. I know, I know, the parts would be very expensive from Mr T, but what if say I found a T-Spirit scrapper? The only thing i'm not sure about is whether the 2.0L cars have a fly by wire throttle, which I beleive the 1.8's don't. Other than the stalk, I can't see it being a huge job - anyone any comments.??

While i'm at it, my car just missed the spec increase in March last year (by 2 weeks) of have traction control and VSC fitted as standard. VSC would be very expensive to fit, but as the traction control just works in conjunction with the ABS computer, is this also a possibility to fit ?

I know what you are all thinking - why doesn't he just buy a new car. I would, but I bought mine new, and planned to keep it for 5 years. If I sold now, the depreciation would be horrendous !!

Cheers

Andrew

Get a nearly new Camry instead if you think of changing it. There a much better car quality and ride wise, and have all the spec you want in every model anyway.

If it's a fly by wire throttle then fitting cruise control would be very easy. But obviously if you were taking the kit off a fly by wire car, things are gonna get difficult cause you need throttle opening kit etc for a non fly by wire model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Avensis 'sol' here in Finland seems to be the equivalent of a T3-x -- retractable wing mirrors, heated screen for wipers, auto-dimming rear view mirror, auto air-con etc. (heated seats are standard with even the base models of the smallest car here).

One of the 'gifts' you get for buying through a business is cruise control. The Spirit isn't sold here, just a luxury packet for 5,000 euros with the electric leather seats. This retro-fitting is done to minimize our extremely high import duty. Besides, leather seats are freezing in winter before the heating kicks in.

I was actually expecting the Toyato cruise to be fitted, but that wasn't what Toyota fitted after import. It was a 'LiteOn' after market jobby. Works like a dream -- you can accelerate, let off the gas and it goes back to where it was, turns off when you brake, remembers your last speed to resume afterwards, has a rev limiter in case you depress the clutch etc. Best of all it has 3 presets (hold in buttons 1-3 at a given speed, it beeps, the preset is set.) Automatically swiches off if you drop 15 kmh, could happen if going steeply uphill in 5th, but I've never had a problem with my 2.0 litre petrol.

Great functionality, my only qualm is that 'CRUISE' doesn't light up on the dashboard and the green/red light that comes with the steering column stick can be hard to see during the day and is sometimes obscured by the steering wheel (can it be fixed so that the proper dash light comes on?).

In summary, this particular after market gives greater functinality than Toyota's own but lacks the prpoer display light.

Hope this helps.

Can you give us a bit more info on this lite-on unit mate part no or something? I'd like to fit cruise to my T3-X if its an easy job. :thumbsup:

Ok, tricky.

BUT -- I've found a Finnish url that features my cruise control -- I have the 'stalk' in the first picture and the grey 'presets' pad in the last picture, which is listed as on optional extra.

Defo the right products here

I've found a somewhat spubik web page by a company of the correct name (there are several 'lite-ons').

In the 'products' section, the products seem to have the correct 'number-names' (e.g. AP500 which I think mine is and seems to be the most expensive)

Probably the correct company link here

Looks more like a company supplying businesses/the automotive industry than individuals -- e.g. Toyota Finland for retro fit -- but at least it's a start on the trail and I can personally vouch for a good experience as already described.

If you look into it, maybe you could let us know if you find a supplier.

TIP: Try to avoid things you clip to the steering wheel as they look tacky and catch on your hands. The stalk is best!

Ok, tricky.

BUT -- I've found a Finnish url that features my cruise control -- I have the 'stalk' in the first picture and the grey 'presets' pad in the last picture, which is listed as on optional extra.

Defo the right products here

I've found a somewhat spubik web page by a company of the correct name (there are several 'lite-ons').

In the 'products' section, the products seem to have the correct 'number-names' (e.g. AP500 which I think mine is and seems to be the most expensive)

Probably the correct company link here

Looks more like a company supplying businesses/the automotive industry than individuals -- e.g. Toyota Finland for retro fit -- but at least it's a start on the trail and I can personally vouch for a good experience as already described.

If you look into it, maybe you could let us know if you find a supplier.

TIP: Try to avoid things you clip to the steering wheel as they look tacky and catch on your hands. The stalk is best!

Hello, I'm from Spain, and this is my first message.

You can search at www.avensisclub.com to learn how to install cruise control in D4D and 2.0 Sol. (information in Spanish, sorry). Car is ready for cruise control and you only have to buy the stick of the cruise control and a wire (for Corolla Verso). The cruise control is installed in many dealers for about 150 €. Pieces cost 90€ aproximately.

Best regards

Thanks for the info, will have a lookie see!

Let us know how you get on....might do the same ie add cruise to my T4(if I get it) :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I also want cruise control in mi 1.8 VVT-i, but this is not possible (by now). In this link (it is from a spanish forum) you can find all the information about how it could be the installation, but only one person has tried it and we don't know if he got it or not.

http://www.avensisclub.com/modules/pbboard...opic.php?t=2028

Personally, I think that maybe it is possible for avensis 1.8 VVT-i manufactured after February 2004. But I can not demonstrated in practice. Specifications of the car are the same than Corolla Verso with the same motor, and this model includes cruise control as standard comfort element (at least in Spain).

Hi All,

This may have been discussed before, if so apologies.

I have a 1.8 T3-X 04 Avensis, and have started to do a lot of motorway miles. I was considering getting a newer Avensis to get cruise control, but then found it it's only available on the T-Spirit.

Does anyone know if it can be retro fitted to a 1.8. I know, I know, the parts would be very expensive from Mr T, but what if say I found a T-Spirit scrapper? The only thing i'm not sure about is whether the 2.0L cars have a fly by wire throttle, which I beleive the 1.8's don't. Other than the stalk, I can't see it being a huge job - anyone any comments.??

While i'm at it, my car just missed the spec increase in March last year (by 2 weeks) of have traction control and VSC fitted as standard. VSC would be very expensive to fit, but as the traction control just works in conjunction with the ABS computer, is this also a possibility to fit ?

I know what you are all thinking - why doesn't he just buy a new car. I would, but I bought mine new, and planned to keep it for 5 years. If I sold now, the depreciation would be horrendous !!

Cheers

Andrew

:thumbsup:

Well, I also want cruise control in mi 1.8 VVT-i, but this is not possible (by now). In this link (it is from a spanish forum) you can find all the information about how it could be the installation, but only one person has tried it and we don't know if he got it or not.

http://www.avensisclub.com/modules/pbboard...opic.php?t=2028

Personally, I think that maybe it is possible for avensis 1.8 VVT-i manufactured after February 2004. But I can not demonstrated in practice. Specifications of the car are the same than Corolla Verso with the same motor, and this model includes cruise control as standard comfort element (at least in Spain).

Hi All,

Still trying to get the hang of this stuff, anyway here goes. Re the cruise cintrol situation the aftermarket company i was on about is HOWARD MAY AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS. The telephone numbers I have are 07921 361661 which should get you through to a chap called Steve Jones who is very helpfull and can answer most questions. the units he deals with can be sold as a self fit or you can arrange with him to fit it. He is a very knowledgeable man and a great help. I had mine fitted by him to my Manual 1.8 vvti 2001 avensis and the system works a treat.

Hope that helps.