Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Brakes - Anti Squeal Shims

joebw

I have an 18-month old Avensis 1.8 T3X which has done 22000 miles. Recently the brakes started squealing, only when braking at low speed, such as whilst moving slowly in heavy traffic. Now it's happening more and more often I decided to phone the Toyota dealer in the UK where I had it serviced and was told that this is a known issue and will be fixed under warranty by fitting anti-squeal shims.

As I now live in France I'd be grateful if anyone can advise of a French translation for 'anti-squeal shims' :D

Also, has anyone had this done, and did it cure the problem - would be helpful to know.

Many thanks

I have an 18-month old Avensis 1.8 T3X which has done 22000 miles. Recently the brakes started squealing, only when braking at low speed, such as whilst moving slowly in heavy traffic. Now it's happening more and more often I decided to phone the Toyota dealer in the UK where I had it serviced and was told that this is a known issue and will be fixed under warranty by fitting anti-squeal shims.

As I now live in France I'd be grateful if anyone can advise of a French translation for 'anti-squeal shims'  :D

Also, has anyone had this done, and did it cure the problem - would be helpful to know.

Many thanks

Hi,

I would say in French : cales anti-couinement pour les freins

The best thing for you would be to get the spare part number from your UK dealer for these shims, it will make then easier for the French Toyota dealer to find it.

Good luck

Francois

In french I would say it sommet like this...

break pads (point to them) non EEEEEEQ... :rolleyes:

In french I would say it sommet like this...

break pads (point to them) non EEEEEEQ...  :rolleyes:

Cheers for the suggestions... I like them both! Yes, getting the part number would probably be the easiest. If that fails I'll try yours Nightstalker. Also a fair bit of shrugging of shoulders will be in order I suspect.

Thanks

As I now live in France I'd be grateful if anyone can advise of a French translation for 'anti-squeal shims'  :D

Many thanks

Hi, I have a 2003 1.8 T3X automatic and had the exact same problem. My local dealer fitted the shims and they cured the problem until they slipped out from behind the pads. I took it back to the dealer and they fitted new ones and smothered them with brake grease which has held them in place since.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know the cost of these 'shims' for a 99 Avensis?

Are there aftermarket ones available, or is it an OEM thing only? I'm due to change my front discs and pads, and am pretty sure mine don't have this.

Thanks.

Informative document for the newer models, but was it me or does it not mention anything about models prior to 2003? :unsure: