Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Leak

yoclick

Hi (new onto the site :) )

Having a bit of problem with my Toyota Previa 2.4LX (1995). When I fill up the fuel tank, fuel starts to leak between the entry to the tank and the nuzzle. However, after a few minutes it stops. The fuel only comes out in a very thin continous flow. I havent noticed this before and am wondering what is the cause? I didnt think it was a proper leak because otherwise it should just empty the fuel in the tube and stop but it comes out for a good few minutes.

Are you overfilling it? Your supposed to stop filling when the pump clicks off the first time. Could also be that the breather pipe that goes from the filler neck is fractured allowing fuel to spill. :unsure:

PS.. Welcome to TOC. :thumbsup:

Cheers :D

Nope aint overfilling, once pump stops, i stop! If the breather pipe is fractured, wont it mean it will empty quickly or go down into the tank instead of continuingly (sp?) flow out for a few mins :huh: ?

Cheers  :D

Nope aint overfilling, once pump stops, i stop! If the breather pipe is fractured, wont it mean it will empty quickly or go down into the tank instead of continuingly (sp?) flow out for a few mins  :huh: ?

Possibly....Yes. But if your not over filling then it`s probably not the breather, as they tend to be at the top of the filler tube. I think it`s going to be a case of having to do a physical inspection of the fuel lines, pipes and tank. Are they in a hard to get to area? :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi (another newbie to the site :thumbsup: )

I have the same problem, with our '90 2.4GL (and also have a santed driveway!!).

Have you had any luck with sorting out your leak?

I recently purchased both the top and bottom pipes that make up the filler system and went to replace them myself but I am now going to put it into a garage to have it sorted. The reason being is (after removing seats to remove the side panel etc) it looks like where the two pipes join, there is re-enforced tubing, but the only way to access this is underneath the car and it in the tightest spot you can get, ( I can't even see the jubilee clips!) It also looks like there is quite a bit of involved work removing other parts to access the underside pipes. After abit of probing it loos like the problem may be with perrished rubber tubing that joins the two metal pipes. I will post when it's been completed and let you know the outcome. The pipes cost about £40 and the garage has quoted us £40 to replace them. We'll see!

I am also hoping that this is a contibutary fact to the abysmal fuel consumption we are getting at the moment, but I have seen other post refering to a 'Lambda' can anyone explain what this is as we are getting the car serviced as well.

Lastly. Is the previa fitted with special spark plugs, and what type are they?

Thanks - Nige

• 2 months later...

We had a petrol problem with our 1994 GL - a smell of petrol in the cabin, especially after filling up or on cornering. The Toyota franchise diagnosed it as coming from corrosion in pipes between the filler inlet and the tank, nearer the former than the latter. They advised: either do not fill the tank beyond say threequarters full or pay £250 for installation of new pipes. We followed the advice for a few years, but eventually had the job done.

I had this problem as well and got my friendly local mechanic to replace all the petrol pipe between the filler and the tank. He showed me the old pipe sections and they were quite corroded and pinholed. He also said that when he rang up the Toyota dealer to order the parts, he was told it was a common problem and the spares guy knew straight off which parts to send!

As for cost, I was only charged £100 for the parts and fitting - but this is a local guy rather than a main dealer.

After the fitting, no more petrol smell, slightly better consumption and a lot less anxiety when I see people flicking !Removed! ends near the rear wheel!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi (another newbie to the site :thumbsup: )

I have the same problem, with our '90 2.4GL (and also have a santed driveway!!).

Have you had any luck with sorting out your leak?

I recently purchased both the top and bottom pipes that make up the filler system and went to replace them myself but I am now going to put it into a garage to have it sorted. The reason being is (after removing seats to remove the side panel etc) it looks like where the two pipes join, there is re-enforced tubing, but the only way to access this is underneath the car and it in the tightest spot you can get, ( I can't even see the jubilee clips!) It also looks like there is quite a bit of involved work removing other parts to access the underside pipes. After abit of probing it loos like the problem may be with perrished rubber tubing that joins the two metal pipes. I will post when it's been completed and let you know the outcome. The pipes cost about £40 and the garage has quoted us £40 to replace them. We'll see!

I am also hoping that this is a contibutary fact to the abysmal fuel consumption we are getting at the moment, but I have seen other post refering to a 'Lambda' can anyone explain what this is as we are getting the car serviced as well.

Lastly. Is the previa fitted with special spark plugs, and what type are they?

Thanks - Nige

Nige

The Previa is fitted with Platinum tipped plugs - They'll stand you about £12.00 each from your high street store (more from Toymota!) You can use NGK - BKR5EP11 or Denso - PK16R11... I fitted standard NGK ones, intending to replace them after 1 year (now 20 months on..) They've been OK, but we've had a couple of recent incidents where the engine has flooded and taken forever to start thereafter, so I've just bought the Denso ones from www.buypartsby.co.uk (less than £30 for the four... The platinum ones last 60k miles and as you have to rip the car apart to fit them, it's probably worth the extra expense to avoid doing that quite so often...

eBay often has sellers offering the latest Iridium plugs too, but the Previa ones are very expensive - Still over £40 and I don't know if they're noticeably better then the platinum ones...

Your choice... good luck...

Jeff

• 7 years later...

Are you overfilling it? Your supposed to stop filling when the pump clicks off the first time. Could also be that the breather pipe that goes from the filler neck is fractured allowing fuel to spill. unsure.gif

PS.. Welcome to TOC. thumbsup.gif

Hi, is overfilling a big deal ?

My good wife filled out Rav up last night and this morning there's a terrible smell of petrol around and in the car , there's also a petrol /oil patch onnthe floor - under the fuel cap . The wife says she MAY have overfilled !!

Surely any excess petrol would have just evaporated overnight !!???