Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Byte Point Is Very Close To The Floor

action_man

I have had my Rav 4 XTR 2 weeks now and I am having difficulty with the gear change, when my lazy foot does not put the clutch pedal right down to the floor.

The clutch byte point is about 25mm of the floor.

Is this noraml?. I have already been back to the dealer, to get it sorted. The mechanic at the dealer says that it is correct and the pedal will raise as the clutch wears. My previous car was a focus which is completely different, it was so easy to drive.

I've got a 98 model, and mine bites quite early too. I suspect yours is normal just like mine, they aren't adjustable anyway being hydraulic.

You'll get used to it.

I'm glad that's all you can find wrong with the car anyway!! :lol:

The clutch does bite low but 25mm does sound a bit low! It took me a little while to get used to the low clutch but once your both used to it its a very nice drive. :D

I bought my XTR D4D back in Aug and went through the same scenerio as you did. I was convinved the mechanic was giving me some bull, but I can honestly say the clutch has bedded in (4000 miles) and now operates quite normally with a bite about 50mm off the floor.

It also took about that long for the engine to bed in and become more responsive to the right foot. Up till then I felt as if there was no real flexibility in the engine and was making a lot of gear changes.

I think the transition from a normal car makes things worse because you are constantly doing the comparison for the first few months.

I've got a 98 model, and mine bites quite early too.  I suspect yours is normal just like mine, they aren't adjustable anyway being hydraulic.

You'll get used to it.

I'm glad that's all you can find wrong with the car anyway!!  :lol:

Thanks for the info regarding my clutch, my mind is at rest now.

However thats not all that I have wrong with this car.

I have to hold on tight to the steering wheel so that the car does not go to the right. The tracking probably need adjustment.

I get a bit of vibration through to the steering wheel, which is uncomfortable.

The paint on the bonnet has camoflag stripes in the base coat. Whats happened to Toyota's quality control?.

Cheers I am happy otherwise.

I've got a 98 model, and mine bites quite early too.  I suspect yours is normal just like mine, they aren't adjustable anyway being hydraulic.

You'll get used to it.

I'm glad that's all you can find wrong with the car anyway!!   :lol:

Thanks for the info regarding my clutch, my mind is at rest now.

However thats not all that I have wrong with this car.

I have to hold on tight to the steering wheel so that the car does not go to the right. The tracking probably need adjustment.

I get a bit of vibration through to the steering wheel, which is uncomfortable.

The paint on the bonnet has camoflag stripes in the base coat. Whats happened to Toyota's quality control?.

Cheers I am happy otherwise.

Have you checked your tyre pressure. Mine was doing the same thing.... :o

Check tyre pressure and all four were out...

On the inside of the drivers door is the sticker saying how much to put in them. I have mine at 29psi and the ride/Handling & mpg has improved...

I also brought a Mitchelin Typre Pressure Pump (dont trust the garage ones never very accurate).... Enjoy your RAV :D :thumbsup: