Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blimey, How Strong Is My Avensis?

funkyg

My lovely Avensis was hit side on at the weekend.

My fault, pulled out when I shouldn't have. Anyway, the only visible damage to the car is a bent wing and gouged alloy, rest of it seems fine. Oh and the ABS and VSC lights are on permanently now. Hoping the chassis is OK, I'd hate for them to write off my car. The car that hit me was a 15 year old metro, at around 30mph and it's been written off. Chassis was like a banana, roof buckled.

Her car just hit mine and bounced off! Mine just sat there. Protected me and my family very well

Should my side airbags have gone off though or would she have had to hit me on the door to activate?

Mike

Glad your alright. Hope they get your car sorted out quickly.

Should my side airbags have gone off though or would she have had to hit me on the door to activate?

Mike

If the other car hit your wing, then the side airbags should not go off. I think the sensors are located in the doors. They should only go off if the door is hit.

I am fairly sure thats how it works anyway.

Yes, the impact has to be of a certain severity before they go off too.

Your VSC lamp may be on due to the cables being damaged that side of the car, like the ones to the wheel sensors etc. Only a thought, but the system may just need re-setting you never know!

Glad your OK. My car got hit on the side passenger side front wing and door on a garage forecourt by an elderly chap who could hardly walk and was deaf. He reversed into me twice and would have hit me a third time if it was not for an observer banging on the chaps side window. My car was only a few months old. His insurance covered everything and the repair shop said it was a good job it was a toyota or the damage would have been a lot worse. They did a good repair you would never know it had been damaged.

I was very angry at the time though.

Glad your OK. My car got hit on the side passenger side front wing and door on a garage forecourt by an elderly chap who could hardly walk and was deaf. He reversed into me twice and would have hit me a third time if it was not for an observer banging on the chaps side window. My car was only a few months old. His insurance covered everything and the repair shop said it was a good job it was a toyota or the damage would have been a lot worse. They did a good repair you would never know it had been damaged.

I was very angry at the time though.

I was told once that if you have a crash (in a decent, modern car) and the airbags actually deploy then you can expect the car to be a right-off or near enough not to matter. Purley because the engineering that goes into modern cars to protect the driver and passengers is so good that the airbags are the "last line" of protection, along with collapsing steering columns and other gubbins. Don't know how true that is but it kind of makes sense.

Yes, the impact has to be of a certain severity before they go off too.

Your VSC lamp may be on due to the cables being damaged that side of the car, like the ones to the wheel sensors etc.  Only a thought, but the system may just need re-setting you never know!

That's what I thought about the wheel sensors/cables. It's in the hands of the garage/insurers now, sat here waiting for them to ring!

Here's a question, at what point do they write a car off? I paid about £7K for mine at the beginning of the year. How close does the estimate have to come to the value of the car before they write it off?

Mike.

They just normally say it's when it's beyond economical repair, whatever that means.

Sad to hear about ur crash

Glad the avensis stood up to the test, i have a 114gta as a weekend car there pretty frail anyways, so anything a metro would hit it wouldnt cause much damage at all

Hopefully ur avensis wont be wrote off but who knows what the labour charges will be for something relatively easy to replace

cost to repair has to be 50 % ie half the price not what you paid but current market price ie mid way between trade and retail

you can always buy the car and ask a local garage to fix ???

this can save money

are you fully comp ??

if so then leave to ins comp

hope you are feeling ok

have a good xmas

and remember cars can be fixed people carnt :hokus-pokus:

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoken to the garage that have my car should be ready by Monday. I asked them out of interest what they've done, loads of stuff!.

New wheel, tyre, track rod, wheel bearing, suspension, rack and pinion, wing, mouldings and respray.

And that's only the stuff I can remember! I'm guessing a couple of grand, even the receptionist said "ooh, that's a big job!"

Can't wait to get it back, the 1.2 Fiesta is doing my head in. Great for whizzing down the country lanes near work, but pants getting up to speed on the motorway before I get there.

Mike.