Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Died - Help !

mikecheshire

Hi - my first post and it's a sad one! I was driving my Rav4 (2002 2L GX) the other day and the timing chain snapped - got hauled into the Toyota garage and they advise that it has caused lots of damage and I need a new engine. The car has done 93,000 miles since April 02 and looking at the book price is worth around £7300. Toyota apparently don't do engine exchanges and a new engine from Toyota will cost me £7000!

The Toyota dealer can source a recon engine for £2800, and I have contacted a couple of other engine manufacturers who can supply one for around £1500.

Couple of queries, if anyone can offer their opinion I would be grateful.

1 - What would my Rav be worth if I just sold it as is ? No other probs at all other than no engine!

2 - Does anyone know of a recon engine supplier in the Cheshire/Staffs area?

Any advice would be appreciated - I am tempted to sell the car and cut my losses, but at the moment don't know what to do !

Cheers

Mike

Hi - my first post and it's a sad one! I was driving my Rav4 (2002 2L GX) the other day and the timing chain snapped - got hauled into the Toyota garage and they advise that it has caused lots of damage and I need a new engine. The car has done 93,000 miles since April 02 and looking at the book price is worth around £7300. Toyota apparently don't do engine exchanges and a new engine from Toyota will cost me £7000!

The Toyota dealer can source a recon engine for £2800, and I have contacted a couple of other engine manufacturers who can supply one for around £1500.

1 - What would my Rav be worth if I just sold it as is ? No other probs at all other than no engine!

Any advice would be appreciated - I am tempted to sell the car and cut my losses, but at the moment don't know what to do !

Cheers

Mike

Sorry to hear about your Rav.

Do you have a full Toyota service history ? Who fitted the last timing chain and at which service ?

I once had a vauxhall vectra where the idle control valve went after 65000 miles . It had a full vauxhall service history and I wrote a letter to Vauxhall who then reimbursed the full cost .

Sometimes these large car manufactures will listen to customers if you have a full service history with them.

Cheers

Mike

Sorry to hear about your Rav.

Do you have a full Toyota service history ? Who fitted the last timing chain and at which service ?

I once had a vauxhall vectra where the idle control valve went after 65000 miles . It had a full vauxhall service history and I wrote a letter to Vauxhall who then reimbursed the full cost .

Sometimes these large car manufactures will listen to customers if you have a full service history with them.

Your car would be worth very little in its present state £2-3k max

:crybaby: Sad News.

As it is your RAV will be worth very little. In my opinion the best option would be to fit a Exchange Engine from one of the Engine Importers or go for a Engine rebuild but not from Toyota. Shop around because £7000 is alot to loose

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike

Any news on your RAV. Breaking a cam belt is never a good thing :crybaby:

Hope that you have got it sorted...

Cheers

DarrenP

HI,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

What damage does the Toyota Garage actually say the engine has suffered?

Rather than replacing the engine, it may be worth going elsewhere and having your own unit repaired.

Chances are that the damage is to valves and they could easily be replaced.

Good Luck hope you get it sorted for a reasonable amount.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the VVT engine not a 'non-interference' engine? In which case, it should've suffered minimal damage..........:unsure: