Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oh What Fun It Is To Have ....

b1ackb1rd

A Yaris D-4D with a tuning box fitted :D

I wound the adjustable power setting to full today for the first time ... it now torque steers, and JUST HOW MUCH FUN IS THAT ? :drool:

when you plod the accelerator a normal 'open-diff' will struggle to maintain constant torque to both wheels

therefore one wheel can spin faster than the other under torque which will pull the car to one side

hence 'torque steer'

its not dangerous as such, but can be a bit undersirable, but yes it is good fun when you toe it and the cars fighting to go in a straight line :D (if that makes sense)

the use of a Limited Slip Differential (known as a Slipdiff, or LSD) can help eliminate torque steer as under load it forces both wheels to spin at the same speed

:)

I wound the adjustable power setting to full today for the first time ... it now torque steers, and JUST HOW MUCH FUN IS THAT ?  :drool:

Very useful for icey/snowy roads :rolleyes:

Surely it cant be good for the engine to leave it on full power for to long :rolleyes:

Very useful for icey/snowy roads :rolleyes:

Actually, it's very similar to the standard car, smoooth until 2000rpm then the fireworks start ... that's ok in bad weather.

I'd be interested in the actual power figures myself, the D-4D feels MUCH slower than our 100hp 1.9tdi Skoda but the speedo shows there's really not that much in it.

But as said, surely its bad running the stock turbo and internals for long at these higher settings? or even for a short while if thrashed at these higher settings wont it go kaboom?

like anything, if you make it over perform you going to reduce the life expectancy, like my MR2 if you choose to wind up the boost then more heat and pressure is in the engine, probably getting close to the standard parts limits

but its not as if 10 years turns into 3 weeks, and when it goes bang, replace it with something better ;)

true but you also have to think about the fact its a diesel engine also - an engine not designed to be 'sporty'

i remember seeing a diesel golf running in the vw racing series this year - it was the 2.0 fsi model (designed as a sporty diesel unlike my mum's 1.9 tdi) an yes it was fast but the noise and amount of thick black smoke that came out of suggested that as a race car a diesel is less desirable

now with the yaris d4d you've got a non sporty diesel fitted with components (intercooler etc) that are parts there soley to make the car run, unlike fitting an aftermarket intercooler that would boost performance and keep the engine running better

im not a big tech wizz but all i'd say is go easy on the power first sign of high temps and you could be looking at something alot worse - just keep a check on coolant and oil is what id do ;)

true but you also have to think about the fact its a diesel engine also - an engine not designed to be 'sporty'

i remember seeing a diesel golf running in the vw racing series this year - it was the 2.0 fsi model (designed as a sporty diesel unlike my mum's 1.9 tdi) an yes it was fast but the noise and amount of thick black smoke that came out of suggested that as a race car a diesel is less desirable

now with the yaris d4d you've got a non sporty diesel fitted with components (intercooler etc) that are parts there soley to make the car run, unlike fitting an aftermarket intercooler that would boost performance and keep the engine running better

im not a big tech wizz but all i'd say is go easy on the power first sign of high temps and you could be looking at something alot worse - just keep a check on coolant and oil is what id do ;)

i do completely agree with all that :)

high temps are an engine killer. if you up the power, you up the heat, specially on turbos, so your looking at bigger intercoolers and things like water injection :)

The racing tdi Golf with the black smoke was simply overfuelled!

The D-4D engine temp remains exactly the same, I wouldn't run the tuning box if it was going to knacker the engine !

The resistor chip fools the ECU into injecting a bit more diesel, there's no increase in boost pressures like in a remap.

Fuel consumption is better than standard, with the extra torque there's no need to flog the engine to get up to speed. It's much more relaxed and civilized until you put the rev counter between 2-3000rpm (hardly revving the nuts off it?) when there is a noticable step in performance.

Country lanes etc are much more fun cos it stomps out of bends - indeed performance is not altered with 3 passengers, try that with a standard D-4D. (Or any other Yaris?)

The resistor chip fools the ECU into injecting a bit more diesel, there's no increase in boost pressures like in a remap.

o right cool i thought it was one of those superchip thingys that boost the turbo pressure. So thats the same as those resistor chips you get for petrols that are dodgy? How come it works so well on a diesel? I would have thought on a turbo engine the fueling being correct is even more important but i guess its to do with the diesel engine being different (where my knowledge lacks!)

Anyway have fun with it!

o right cool i thought it was one of those superchip thingys that boost the turbo pressure. So thats the same as those resistor chips you get for petrols that are dodgy? How come it works so well on a diesel? I would have thought on a turbo engine the fueling being correct is even more important but i guess its to do with the diesel engine being different (where my knowledge lacks!)

Anyway have fun with it!

im guessing the turbos on a diesel engine aren't as precisely set up as in a performance turbo engine so you get a bit leaway

Its the simple theory the more you get the less time it will last.

You don't get ought for nought!!! :P

With most manufacturers TDI motors you can actually get ought for nought ... most tdi owners clubs, diesel magazines etc will give you the same story.

More relaxed drive, more mpg - and cheap bolt on stomp ... why buy petrol???

why buy petrol???

I don't want to sound like a tractor and I want to actually turn at a corner and not just go straight on when the wheel is turned! :P

Ahhh, you bunch of cynics !!

The Yaris diesel is really quite refined compared to the VAG 1.9tdi PD100 motor in our Skoda, and it's a hell of a lot quieter.

I'm happy sticking at this performance level, it's brisk, rewarding to drive and I can put it back to standard in 15 seconds and that'll do me

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving an old thread here... You convinced me to buy one of these boxes rather than go for the more expensive ECU remap. Hope to have it in a day or so.

I am hoping I can eliminate any black smoke overfuel issues when ramping up the limits of the fuel measure screw (as I probably will...) , as the acetone I use reportedly cancels that out in diesel trucks by giving a more complete combustion. Should be well interesting.

I looked at the item on eBay yesterday and the price was £125 with some time to go until the auction ended.

Diesels are different to petrol engines in that they don't need such a precise mixture in the cylinders, so a simple way of boosting performance is simply to put in more juice (which is what the tuning box does via a simple resistor chip) ... once the engine reaches it's optimum mixture it just throws unburnt mixture and soot out of the back, which is why you sometimes see smoking diesels. This is not doing any harm to the engine, it just ain't much fun for the car behind :)

I have the screw on my tuning box up to maximum and the car doesn't smoke, which means there's probably more ooomph to come but I won't be seeking that last bit.

Was it still £155? ;)

A

Less, sort of, they are going for £125 starting bids with postage paid. The buy it now was £145. I woz daft and didn't realise they had a lot of 6 going at the £125 price so paid the extra for buy-it-now -I bet if I just put in a £126 bid I would have got one at that price at the end of the auction... but what the hey.

Can't wait...