Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MKII Yaris Review Thread

gordypix

Because of the Latest Yaris to be launched and the ambundance of Reviews that are popping up it would be appreciated if anyone with links to these reviews or such could post them in here to prevent numerous threads on the same subject.

It is easier to monitor one thread and keep it tidy than to go through many.

Thank You. :thumbsup:

Cheers for the pinned thread Gordy.

A few more...

2006 Yaris TS? Thread | Review Posted by: Nam & Red Yaris 54

Demonic Angel Test Drive Thread Written by: Demonic Angel (Em)

Personal review. Thread Written by: Ironwrench

Canadian Driver Magazine. Thread | Review Posted by: Flashman

Richard Hammond for Mirror Motoring. Thread | Review Posted by: jane-b

• 2 weeks later...

Less convincing is the keyless entry system on higher spec models, which is an unnecessary complication in a budget car.

lol. Easily the coolest feature on that car, that makes the whole experience less complicated. I still keep wondering why reviewers talk about things they did NOT experience, why not limit yourself to the car you have on hand and review what? Same goes for new MMT, which he obviously did not try at all....

• 2 months later...

New Yaris 1.4 D4D MMT arrived two weeks ago. Very expensive but persuaded by all I'd read and heard - it's my first Toyota.

Engine now 90 bhp. Very powerful, but SO NOISY! Toyota haven't made a good job of mounting it and then insulating it. Poor economy. Forget 62.8 mpg; 50 driven quietly is about tops on a run. Engine light comes on and kills power then goes off of its own accord. Dealer cannot find a fault.

MMT. Dreadful. Slow clutch take up and SLOOOOW upchanges - or is engine management strangulating the engine? But it changes down far, far too early and often - and in so-called manual mode it still changes down for a hobby.

The whole thing just isn't developed. I'm so bitterly disappointed that unless the dealer can make dramatic improvements to noise and transmission next week, it will be rejected and a refund demanded.

Is this what a Toyota is really like?

New Yaris 1.4 D4D MMT arrived two weeks ago. Very expensive but persuaded by all I'd read and heard - it's my first Toyota.

Engine now 90 bhp. Very powerful, but SO NOISY! Toyota haven't made a good job of mounting it and then insulating it. Poor economy. Forget 62.8 mpg; 50 driven quietly is about tops on a run. Engine light comes on and kills power then goes off of its own accord. Dealer cannot find a fault.

MMT. Dreadful. Slow clutch take up and SLOOOOW upchanges - or is engine management strangulating the engine? But it changes down far, far too early and often - and in so-called manual mode it still changes down for a hobby.

The whole thing just isn't developed. I'm so bitterly disappointed that unless the dealer can make dramatic improvements to noise and transmission next week, it will be rejected and a refund demanded.

Hmmm I have a diesel MMT like you and am very surprised by your comments here. I don't find the engine noisey at all, unless its really being pushed. I fully agree with you on the fuel though, definitely wouldn't have forked out the extra for a diesel given the disappointing fuel figures.

As for the gearbox, I do agree with the slow clutch up take, have been caught in a few sticky situations where the car has been slow to pull away but I certainly don't find it slow to change up or changing down too early. Did your dealer offer to take you on a "lesson" to learn how to drive it? Mine did so maybe you aren't quite driving it right, there is a bit of an art to it.

Hmmm I have a diesel MMT like you and am very surprised by your comments here. I don't find the engine noisey at all, unless its really being pushed. I fully agree with you on the fuel though, definitely wouldn't have forked out the extra for a diesel given the disappointing fuel figures.

As for the gearbox, I do agree with the slow clutch up take, have been caught in a few sticky situations where the car has been slow to pull away but I certainly don't find it slow to change up or changing down too early. Did your dealer offer to take you on a "lesson" to learn how to drive it? Mine did so maybe you aren't quite driving it right, there is a bit of an art to it.

Well folks, I finally drove a P2 Yaris diesel at the weekend and I have to asay that I had slightly mixed feelings.

I did a quick 20 minute tour around Perth that included al little bit of every type of driving. I was impressed by the ride and handling of the car as well as the cabin comfort and layout. Speed-wise I wouldn't say it was any faster than mine (post chippage) but significantly quicker than standard Mk1. I t should be remembered, though, that in my experience these engines don't really feel properly run in until they've done at least 10-15k and the dealer's example only had 750 miles on it.

The aspect I was disappointed by (and its been mentioned above) was the amount of noise at around 70 - it was so much louder than my P2 and I think that it could annoy me on long journeys. The only other hole I can think of to pick is that some of the panel-matching in the interior wasn't so hot, but these are early vehicles of a new model so there should be expected to be some small issues that will be sorted in the next few months.

One last thing - the leather trim in the car I drown is from the same type of pachyderm as the Hilux Invincible. They must be some weird cows :rolleyes:

Now, the new T-Sport....... :unsure:

A

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea why you can't get a factory alarm for the new Yaris 2006? It's not listed as an option, so an aftermarket system seems the only opway forward.

Does the Yaris lack that much street cred that no-one wants to nick them? LOL

Any idea why you can't get a factory alarm for the new Yaris 2006? It's not listed as an option, so an aftermarket system seems the only opway forward.

Does the Yaris lack that much street cred that no-one wants to nick them? LOL

It's only a group 1 car, i'm sure Mr Tea Leaf would rather nick a Scooby for speed, or an Ovlov if they are ramraiding..

• 1 month later...

Got myself the new yaris 1l as a courtesy car today ..... the more I look at it the more I like it's quirkeness.

The inside is a bit of a disapointment and feels that they have taken the design from the old one and redesigned it on the cheap, plus the seats dont go back far enough for a 6'4 person although there's plenty of headroom.

Engine wise ........ NOT VERY FUN BEING OVER TAKEN BY LORRIES :ffs:

:lol::lol:

Would I buy one - nope I would rather buy an Aygo/Jazz :thumbsup:

The turbo diesel version is much better. I can imagine the 1L being a little sluggish...!

The turbo diesel version is much better. I can imagine the 1L being a little sluggish...!

Yeah ..... I apologise if I have offended anybody too - however it's better than any other hatchbacks out there :thumbsup:

The engine felt like it had no go after 60MPH and slowly creaped to 70MPH .... although when you was braking using the engine it had none of that jerkiness that you would normally expect. The sound was Different and was very free with the revs although when you started it up and set off it didnt sound to good :wacko:

th_DSC00597.jpg

AAaarrrrhhhhh - 2 red-uns

Having said that - the Aygo is great fun, I had one the other day as a courtesy car. Sounds a lot faster than it is, but a cool little car!

Yeah ..... I apologise if I have offended anybody too - however it's better than any other hatchbacks out there :thumbsup:

The engine felt like it had no go after 60MPH and slowly creaped to 70MPH .... although when you was braking using the engine it had none of that jerkiness that you would normally expect. The sound was Different and was very free with the revs although when you started it up and set off it didnt sound to good :wacko:

th_DSC00597.jpg

AAaarrrrhhhhh - 2 red-uns

Got myself the new yaris 1l as a courtesy car today ..... the more I look at it the more I like it's quirkeness.

The inside is a bit of a disapointment and feels that they have taken the design from the old one and redesigned it on the cheap, plus the seats dont go back far enough for a 6'4 person although there's plenty of headroom.

Engine wise ........ NOT VERY FUN BEING OVER TAKEN BY LORRIES :ffs:

:lol::lol:

Would I buy one - nope I would rather buy an Aygo/Jazz :thumbsup:

Yeah, my dealer only has 1.3 and diesels as demonstrators - even they admit to the 1.0 being a bit underpowered. Have to admit that I only had the budget for a 1.0 I would be inclined to get a higher spec Aygo instead...

A

is there no way of getting a new yaris with a proper auto box instead of this MMT crap in the UK?

could one be imported?

or how much for fitting a proper box ?

which would be the best place to import a RHD propr auto from?

is there no way of getting a new yaris with a proper auto box instead of this MMT crap in the UK?

could one be imported?

or how much for fitting a proper box ?

which would be the best place to import a RHD propr auto from?

I have been driving an MMT Yaris for nearly two years and can honestly say it is not at all crap as you say :rolleyes:

The MMT system uses a conventional gearbox with a fully automated selector system.

Mine has been faultless and very economical and I choose to own the MMT Yaris as it makes for stress free driving (I do hold a manual licence and occasionally drive cars with manual gearboxes, although my last two cars have had sequential MMT style shift systems)

The MMT has all the advantages of a conventional auto box without the poor economy of the "normal" auto and IMO is the way to go with automatic transmissions :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

. Speed-wise I wouldn't say it was any faster than mine (post chippage) but significantly quicker than standard Mk1. I t should be remembered, though, that in my experience these engines don't really feel properly run in until they've done at least 10-15k

A

a mates driven a chipped mk2 110 bhp 170 lbft torque

he said it was very entertaining and it didnt sound like a diesel at speed!!

I've talked my girlfriend into getting a T3 D4-D Yaris. Its the best car i've had the use of ever, super economy, £50 road tax, good handling, its really perkie, and lots of other features. Its truely an excellent car. 2003 T3 D4-D

I've talked my girlfriend into getting a T3 D4-D Yaris. Its truely an excellent car. 2003 T3 D4-D

Please note that this topic is for Mk II Yaris reviews ONLY (That is those built 2006 onwards) :rolleyes:

Please do not get the MK II (All New Yaris) confused with the MK I Phase II (Teardrop headlights)

• 4 weeks later...

Merci pour ca Musashi-sama!

I'm glad its the 1.8 litre engine - now to start saving...

:D

A

Merci pour ca Musashi-sama!

I'm glad its the 1.8 litre engine - now to start saving...

:D

A

Amen to that Al!

Bet it goes like poo off a spade! :thumbsup::yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links