Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4d Problem

right-on

Yaris D4D - Registered March 2004, now 27,500 miles on clock.

Has anyone else had a problem with a D4D cutting out?

The problem started about 2000 miles ago. The engine cuts out when starting to accellerate after (for example) descending a hill, turning a corner etc. The engine can be restarted after removing the key from the ignition, then re-inserting it but the engine malfunction light remains lit. After four or five restarts the light stays out.

Also, occasionally the engine seems to 'cough' - same circumstances as above.

It has been back to the dealer three or four times but each time the computer says that the engine 'stalled'. Their best suggestion was to stop using supermarket fuel - now been using 'Shell' for last 1500 miles and problem recurred yesterday.

Also, the problem appears worse when the car is driven gently. (No cracks please - better to drive it gently in current snow and ice!)

sounds like a duff ECU to me, take it back to !Removed!... i mean Toyota and give them an ear full, theres obviously something wrong somewhere other than 'stalling'

I think I'd try a new air/fuel filters and a healthy squirt of Redex diesel inj cleaner before paying Mr T's labour charges.

I think I'd try a new air/fuel filters and a healthy squirt of Redex diesel inj cleaner before paying Mr T's labour charges.

Thanks for the suggestions.

A letter will be in the post tomorrow to Toyota GB asking for their help.

Just had new air filter at 30k service (Mr T dealer) and been using Redex for past 1500 miles. Dealer has not suggested fuel filter though, but I'll see if the letter provokes any suggestions from Mr T first. The car is still under warranty so labour should not be a problem.

may sound daft..but do you having any other electronic gizmo's on your keyring?

They can interfere with the transponser in the key and activate the immobiliser.

however... this wouldn't make the Eninge management light come on.... well wouldn't think so.

Mr T are taking the mic about not using supermarket fuel. Even if the Engine Management light has extinguished..the error codes will still be in memory..and easily readable.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with a response from MR.T as you may need it!

Woody - It looks like you could be right - no reply yet from Toyota.

may sound daft..but do you having any other electronic gizmo's on your keyring?

They can interfere with the transponser in the key and activate the immobiliser.

however... this wouldn't make the Eninge management light come on.... well wouldn't think so.

Mr T are taking the mic about not using supermarket fuel. Even if the Engine Management light has extinguished..the error codes will still be in memory..and easily readable.

The problem has occurred using both keys - the only 'extra' on he key-rings is the alarm control - only active when buttons pressed. (no immobilizer other than standard Toyota one).

I thought that about the Tesco fuel, but used to have a Punto that didn't seem to like a diet of Total!

Hmmm... The only time either of mine have cut out was once when I ran out of diesel.

Speaking of which, if its any consolation my diesels have both run on an almost exclusive diet of Tesco. In fact, I can't remember the last time I filled up with anything else (actually, I can't remember the last time I actually put anything in it!)

Hth and good luck...

A

• 2 months later...

At Last!

The dealer has done something. Took it in last Monday and they replaced the Injection Pump. I pick it up tomorrow.

Pity it's taken so long.

Have you drained the fuel pump of water recently?

Ours has an exclusive diet of cacky cheap diesel and runs with a tdi tuning box on max setting with no problems. It gets a squirt of Redex when I remember and I drain the pump twice a year.

Done about 50 miles so far and car seems much better.

Never drained the water - shouldn't the dealer have done this as part of the services (10, 20 and 30k miles)?

• 1 month later...

Yaris D4D - Registered March 2004, now 27,500 miles on clock.

Has anyone else had a problem with a D4D cutting out?

The problem started about 2000 miles ago. The engine cuts out when starting to accellerate after (for example) descending a hill, turning a corner etc. The engine can be restarted after removing the key from the ignition, then re-inserting it but the engine malfunction light remains lit. After four or five restarts the light stays out.

Also, occasionally the engine seems to 'cough' - same circumstances as above.

It has been back to the dealer three or four times but each time the computer says that the engine 'stalled'. Their best suggestion was to stop using supermarket fuel - now been using 'Shell' for last 1500 miles and problem recurred yesterday.

Also, the problem appears worse when the car is driven gently. (No cracks please - better to drive it gently in current snow and ice!)

My March 2004 D4d cut out in similar way after 600 miles!!. Had new injector pump fitted, did same again 1000 miles later. Had second pump fitted and fuel system cleaned. Done 35000 uneventful miles and cut out again three days ago, 30-40mph, acceleration round gentle bend, just warmed up. RAC got code out P1229, didnt know what it meant. Driving ok last few days but booked into Toyota for "diagnostics"

I wonder if anyone else has had this or similar problem?

I no longer have the Yaris (lost all confidence in Toyota and local dealer).

When it was with Mr T early April, they also replaced the Common Rail and I only did another 500 miles (trouble-free) before getting rid. We are going to Norway soon and didn't want a dead engine half way down the side of a Fjord!

Can't be bothered to complain to Toyota - I don't think they are really interested.

• 2 years later...

Prado d4d, 60,000 kms

My prado has cut out three times now since new with no codes shown to identify the problem, also idles very rough at times when just off cold, (almost as if out on 1 cylinder), fuel consumption is also higher now than when new, had turbo replaced recently under warranty due to failure and is starting to use oil (not severe but around a litre in 10,000 kms), vehicle has been seviced at every 10,000 kms.

• 2 years later...

Hi i have same problem, yaris 2004 d4d. The engine cuts out when starting to accellerate. 1,2,3 gears over 3000rpm and cut out on 4 gear. But if i drive gentle, dont give more than 2000rpm its no problem. The check engine light is on. Diagnostic show fault code p1229. Changed fuel filter and SCV valves. Help i dont know what to do more.

Hi i have same problem, yaris 2004 d4d. The engine cuts out when starting to accellerate. 1,2,3 gears over 3000rpm and cut out on 4 gear. But if i drive gentle, dont give more than 2000rpm its no problem. The check engine light is on. Diagnostic show fault code p1229. Changed fuel filter and SCV valves. Help i dont know what to do more.

• 4 weeks later...

I find the problem. It was injector. I checked self how diesel coming back from injectors. It easy to do self before going to garage and spending lot of money. I was in lot of garage, changing 3 fuel pump, common rail and ... and i had same problem and nobody knows what is wrong. So i fixed self:) How to check: need 4 rubber pipes (about 30cm one), 4 small glass, take out intercooler, take out small rubber pipes from injectors and put on long pipes. One end on injector and another end to the glass. Injectors is connected all together, so you will need also to cloce one side of injectors and one hole on the fuel pump. You can use also rubber pipe and put in some screw. I dont have foto and my english not very good, so it is not easy to explain. But when you take out intercooler you will understand everything:) I start engine without intercooler and look how much diesel going to the glass. I dont know how much must be, but per 30s was about 20ml in 1,3,4 glass. Second glass was full after 2s. So i changed second injector and my big problem was solved:)