Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Problem...

ferrariboyuk

ABS is terrible in the snow though as it actually increases stopping distances by a large amount..though granted still maintains steering. some cars now you can actually deactivate ABS for driving in snowy conditions.

You don't say! :rolleyes: :P

this is true cars with abs takes longer to stop in the snow, that is why audi has switchable abs on some of their cars

ABS is terrible in the snow though as it actually increases stopping distances by a large amount..though granted still maintains steering. some cars now you can actually deactivate ABS for driving in snowy conditions.

You don't say! :rolleyes: :P

this is true cars with abs takes longer to stop in the snow, that is why audi has switchable abs on some of their cars

I do say..as most of these forums people repeat the same thing has already been said..so I thought I'd start doing the same.

Yaris only has EBD on the rear though, really used in cornering when the rear is unloaded.

Are you sure about that? Because in my brochure it says 4 wheels...

If it’s only the rear wheels if I under steer while braking the whole system is pointless?

Yaris only has EBD on the rear though, really used in cornering when the rear is unloaded.

If it’s only the rear wheels if I under steer while braking the whole system is pointless?

Please do not confuse EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) with ABS (Antilock Braking System)

I understand that EBD only functions on the rear wheels to evenly distribute the braking load.

Please do not confuse EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) with ABS (Antilock Braking System)

I understand that EBD only functions on the rear wheels to evenly distribute the braking load.

see ryan! :P

your right.... that's why I mentioned active Yaw control..which prevents this.

EBD as said works with ABS..when cornering obviously the forces over each wheel vary...and helps stop the back end coming steping out.

Active Yaw control analyes steering input, throttle position / acceleration/deceleration of all four wheels...and reduces throttle/applies individual braking to individual wheels...regardless of what your doing.

I have it on my Volvo DSTC Dynamic Stability Traction Control...which is Volvo's version of it. ... Audi Quatro have been doing it for years.......but slightly different flavour again.

Vipes

EBD as said works with ABS..when cornering obviously the forces over each wheel vary...and helps stop the back end coming steping out.

Active Yaw control analyes steering input, throttle position / acceleration/deceleration of all four wheels...and reduces throttle/applies individual braking to individual wheels...regardless of what your doing.

I have it on my Volvo DSTC Dynamic Stability Traction Control...which is Volvo's version of it. ... Audi Quatro have been doing it for years.......but slightly different flavour again.

Vipes

Please don't muddle the issue between Volvo's an Yariis.

The EBD on the Yaris only functions on the rear wheels.

The ABS functions on all four wheels.

The Yaris does not have Active Yaw Control or any fancy name that Volvo calls it.

Yeah plus YAW is combining elements of EBD with a Differential to get grip between the two in both cases.

So basically the yaris has ABS but EBD on the rear wheels so they can be controlled to stop the back end sliding out.

Yeah plus YAW is combining elements of EBD with a Differential to get grip between the two in both cases.

So basically the yaris has ABS but EBD on the rear wheels so they can be controlled to stop the back end sliding out.

Precisely :thumbsup:

So EBD is only on the rear right?

strange I said that umpteen posts ago...when questioned about it..I replied accordingly indicating the differences..with an example.

no doubt someone will come along soon and say it's only on the rear....

and if your not sure RTFM. people who don't know how their brakes work shouldn't be allowed out on the road.

vipes

So EBD is only on the rear right?

strange I said that umpteen posts ago...when questioned about it..I replied accordingly indicating the differences..with an example.

no doubt someone will come along soon and say it's only on the rear....

and if your not sure RTFM.  people who don't know how their brakes work shouldn't be allowed out on the road.

vipes

No EBD is on BOTH rear wheels, not just the right wheel ;)

Yes I know how my car works :yes: :) (It is dangerous to generalise)

Vipes

Please don't muddle the issue between Volvo's an Yariis.

The EBD on the Yaris only functions on the rear wheels.

The ABS functions on all four wheels.

The Yaris does not have Active Yaw Control or any fancy name that Volvo calls it.

Does my Yaris have EBD?

Do I have ABS on the rear wheels aswell?

confused.jpg

Mr T site says:

Anti-lock Braking System with Electronic Brake force Distribution and Brake Assist are standard

Well on the new yaris :P

Can't find any info yet on the old yaris and my handbook is in the car :rolleyes: !

From the Haynes service manual:

"Yaris models from May 2003 have an anti-lock braking system (ABS) as standard, and it was available as an option on earlier models"

"A load-sensitive proportioning valve (LSPV) is fitted to the rear brake circuit on models without ABS, to prevent rear wheels lock-up under hard braking by limiting the flow of fluid to the rear wheel cylinders....Models with ABS are also equipped with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD). Simply, this is an electronically-managed version of the rear brake regulator valves fitted to non-ABS models...."

I am contemplating installing an ABS in my 2001 Yaris after reading all this! :yes:

--

Bee.

From the Haynes service manual:

"Yaris models from May 2003 have an anti-lock braking system(ABS) as standard, and it was available as an option on earlier models"

"A load-sensitive proportioning valve (LSPV) is fitted to the rear brake circuit on models without ABS, to prevent rear wheels lock-up under hard braking by limiting the flow of fluid to the rear wheel cylinders....Models with ABS are also equipped with Electroni Brake Force Distribution (EBD).  Simply, this is an electronically-managed version of the rear brake regulator valves fitted to non-ABS models...."

I am contemplating installing an ABS in my 2001 Yaris after reading all this!

--

Bee.

Good information Bee :thumbsup:

I think that installation could be rather expensive and might cause you a problem with your insurance as you would then have a "non-standard" braking system on your car.

Sadly insurance companies do not like brake modifications.....even if it increases braking performance.

Yes I know how my car works :yes:  :) (It is dangerous to generalise)

<chuckles>

Yes I know how my car works :yes:  :) (It is dangerous to generalise)

<chuckles>

:) :group-cuddles:

Had to emergency brake recently and got the pumping effect happen, didnt bother me at all tho as i knew it was the ABS. It was quite a harsh judder aswell. Didn't get any scraping noises as far as i can remember tho. I'd be more worried if there were noises coming from the brakes when normal braking.

I know about abs and what it does (basic understanding anyway). As jane b says, changing direction and all that.

But flip, I couldn't believe the noise of it, or the feel through the pedal. Its awfull. You loose all brake power in snow. In one case on friday (was it we all had snow) i only had about 2cm's of brake movement before the crappy ABS tried to make me crash.

Would my other 1.0 ltr gls yaris have ABS anyone know?

easiest way to check

a- look under the bonnet where the big round brake booster is, if theres a simple alloy thing stuck on the end... no, if its got a mass of tangled pipework coming out it the yes!

b- find a quiet road, get to 40mph, jump on the anchors, if it locks up then no