Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Problems

stephenc

1987 SV21 Camry Auto

When I adjust the throttle position sensor correctly, I have noticed that the car surges when cruising to a stop and rpm reduces to about 1,000. As a temporary fix, I have adjusted the TPS so that the IDL points do not close. What causes the engine to surge when the contacts are closed. I have also turned the idle screw completely close, yet the engine seems to idle a touch above factory settings. I have also noticed a lack of power when accelerating from stationary. Once moving, the car has plenty of power. It also now tends to ping on hot days. Any help would be much appreciated. The air intake pipes looks fine. No cracks. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have just recently replace the Battery in my car after not being able to crank it this morning. It wouldn't even turn over. But it still has the problem that it had for a few months before it died this morning. When I crank it, initially, the car shakes and the rpm drops fast like the car is going to cut off. My dad suggested to tighten the idle screw, but I don't know where that screw is. Does anyone have a diagram of the camry engine with the idle screw labeled? or have a suggestion as to what might be going on?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links