Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starter Motor

freddunn

Can anyone tell me where the starter motor is on my Previa 2.4GL Auto 95/96 UK spec. Is it a diy option and where would be the best place to buy a new one.

Thanks

if you look under the motor directly under the the n/s sliding door you will find the starter motor easy to get at and take off.dont know best place you to get a spare

ray spalding in lincs

if you look under the motor directly under the the n/s sliding door you will find the starter motor easy to get at and take off.dont know best place you to get a spare

ray spalding in lincs

Thanks M8. eBay or my local breakers will have one. :D

ray spalding in lincs

Thanks M8. eBay or my local breakers will have one. :D

Thanks for that

Had to change my user name as I could not log in anymore ( was known as freddunn)

• 2 weeks later...

Had problem with my starter motor on my lucida got given estimate of £600 just for starter motor itself so took mine off and had it rebuilt for £130

now its good as new.

Thanks telme

Was that quote from a main dealer? £6oo seems very steep

Had problem with my starter motor on my lucida got given estimate of £600 just for starter motor itself so took mine off and had it rebuilt for £130

now its good as new.

The estimate was from a main dealer didn't try japanse importer though this may of been cheaper there were at least ten diferent srarters to chose from need vehicle chassis no to find out, a car part supplyer suggested the rebuild they take it apart replace parts test it and garantee the starter,hope this is of some help although it may be cheaper for the previa.

9 out of ten you dont need a new starter motor. There is a copper contact in it ,which gets worn away on one side. Only costs a couple of quid to buy. You have to take the starter motor off though, which if a garage is doing it, will be an hours labour.

Cheers

Pete

• 1 month later...

now its good as new.

Hi,

My starter has developed an intermittent problem that sounds to me like the solenoid high current contacts are not connecting properly. You can swing off the ignition key and hear a click for a couple of dozen swings and then the motor spins and starts the engine.

Any ideas please?

Also, where did you get the parts to rebuild your starter, or who did your rebuild please??

Many thanks

Steve White

deeeeps@aol.com

9 out of ten you dont need a new starter motor. There is a copper contact in it ,which gets worn away on one side. Only costs a couple of quid to buy. You have to take the starter motor off though, which if a garage is doing it, will be an hours labour.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for that. Where did you get the bits from please???

Sounds like my starter may have the same problem.

Many thanks

Steve White

Isle of Wight

deeeeps@aol.com

Hi,

I have a Lucida with intermittant starter motor operation. You can hear the solenoid clunk, but it does not always spin.

I took it apart and sure enough the copper contacts in the solenoid are pitted and worn. Does anyone know how to fix this, other than paying £160 for a recon motor?

In Hope!!

Chris.

You should be able to get the contacts from any parts place. They might have to order it.

My mate did mine (he is a qualified Toyota mechanic).

Cheers

Pete

You should be able to get the contacts from any parts place. They might have to order it.

My mate did mine (he is a qualified Toyota mechanic).

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

You couldn't check with him where they came from. My local motor parts shop cant supply them. They went through there books and only came up with the full motor for £470 !!.

Thanks

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

we get all our estima spares from www.nipponspares.com

we have had a recon gearbox for £250 and a starter motor for £40 and the price includes delivery :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links