Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance

Starensis

My 17 year old son has just passed his test ( Today ) & wants to get his 1998 Ford Fiesta 1.25L insured.

I've been getting quotes between £2400 - £7500!

Anyone know of a Insurer with reasonable prices/cover?

:thumbsup:

To help it along, put three OLD, EXPERIENCED drivers on the policy, and say that he does drive another car on a regular basis..

I did this with elephant and it knocked about 500 quid off this year :o

As Moffo said - try getting it insured under your name with your son as a named driver...

either that or try one of the bonus accelerator deals that build up the no claims

J

Is he doing Pass Plus? Should get some reduction with that.

I used Endsleigh for my 1st year of Insurance..I was 18 and had a 1.1 Fiesta Classic which was a P-reg/1996 model which, with pass plus cost me £750 ish on TPFT. However as I'm Female that also reduced it.

As Moffo said - try getting it insured under your name with your son as a named driver...

either that or try one of the bonus accelerator deals that build up the no claims

J

I don't think that's what Matt said, and it puts you in a dubious position if you're not really the main driver (last thing you want with an insurance company looking for any excuse not to pay out). Having said that, plenty of people do it and get away with it.

Adding low risk drivers to his policy as named drivers is a good idea though, and will help to reduce the premium.

Need him as the main driver, and a woman as a named driver.

Got my older sister on mine.

Try Elephant/ Bell/ Admiral (Same company - although last quotes for me all differed between them).

Try the Co-op (CIS) for an insurance quote.

They were by far the cheapest when my nephew insured his first car (a 1.2 Fiesta)....

Yeh CIS is good, I just got my quote for my Yaris 1.3 SR at £800 under my dad's name, which is £400 cheaper than the cheapest on confused.com.

Tesco's is apparently very good for new drivers, but it was around the same as the lowest Confused.com ones for me.

Also, I find the yearly mileage affects it hugely - it goes up £200 if I say i'm doing 8-10000 miles a year, rather than 6-8000.

HTH

norwich union is also good ive got mate who was 17 and got on his 1.2 8v punto for 1200 fully comp by him self

im the main driver with third party fire and theft cover with my dad as named driver paying £1400 on the yaris

Insurence really does my head in. one of my mates drives around with no insurence and has never been caught ( in a £12000 bmw Y plate)

yet everyone else has to pay :censor: stupid prices!! i was quoted £2500 on the G6R ( a 1.6 ) with some companys with 4 ncb!!! It really makes ya wonder if its worth the hassle.

Insurence really does my head in. one of my mates drives around with no insurence and has never been caught ( in a £12000 bmw Y plate)

yet everyone else has to pay  :censor: stupid prices!! i was quoted £2500 on the G6R ( a 1.6 ) with some companys with 4 ncb!!! It really makes ya wonder if its worth the hassle.

Why not just make the anonymous call about your "mate" if it does your head in that much

I've been trying all day today for a reasonable quote. I've tried all configurations with myself, the wife & my son as main driver with the other two as additional.

The best I can get ( when they will quote ) is £2105. :censor:

I've tried all the sites you have kindly mentioned. One of the insurance companies told me it was due to it being a Ford 16 Valve. Ford because they are popular with thieves & 16V states that it will be raced!

I can get him as additional driver on the wifes 2005 1.3L Yaris for £1400 though!! How do they work that out. :wacko:

As mentioned before, this is the reason why youth drive around without insurance. When they do get caught. they get £100 fine! Nothing compared to what they would have paid for insurance!!!!!

Will just have to keep on trying. Thanks for your suggestions so far. :thumbsup:

Might be worth changing your insurance company for the Yaris. Some companies may seem okay with adults, but as soon as you have kids, they whack it up masses, and most people are okay with this so they can get away with it.

DirectLine charged me £800 *extra* just to go on my mum's policy for her Micra 1.0l, coming up to £1200 total (she has a few other drivers defined too).

Seeing as the average quote we could get online for it was about £800, cheapest being near to £600, its crazy!

As mentioned before, this is the reason why youth drive around without insurance.  When they do get caught. they get £100 fine!  Nothing compared to what they would have paid for insurance!!!!!

I know what you mean ..... reading the Coventry Courts section - No insurance, no tax, no MOT, incorrect licence = fined £183

How :censor: is that!

Back on topic ..... when I was 18 I couldn't get insured on my dads 2.0L Astra, so he got a smaller car!

Just had a quote of £1500 through CIS. I added myself to the quote, in addiiton to the wife. Seemed to reduce premium.

Accepted it as it's the best one I've had by £700.

Get the little :censor: off the road then!!!! :ffs:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links