Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot Area Light

BelgarumVenta

As the title suggests, I'd like to fit a light in the boot/load area, automatically activated off the rear door.

The load area is really quite dark at night and any light from the interior fitting is masked by the rear shelf.

Has anyone done this and can offer advise on the best place to fit it (for the cabling etc) and the best light fitting unit to use/where to get it from? Ideally, I'm looking for a recessed unit (maybe one on each side) so it sits flush.

Hi mate, I have just fitted one a coupe of days ago. It is absolutely chucking down at the moment so when it stops I will post a picture or two. I have also fitted footwell lights so I will let you have a look at those too.

I bought a couple off e-bay and only fitted the one to see what the illumination was like. It requires a hole to be cut as it is a recessed type and is also fitted with a switch so that it can be turned on permantly, with the door or off, a normal interior light set up.

Removal of the rear panel is dead easy, see this link

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aim_Searc...0&strAccGroup=0

and look up the fitting of a 'vehicle security system' or 'parking aid system' in the Accessory Group category, both show how to remove it. Wiring is taken straight from the exisitng rear interior light (two wires plus a local earth) and need to be fed back to the new light. I done this by pulling off some of the rubber door seal and took them down the rear pillar along an existing wiring harness (securely clipped to it with cable ties) and terminated them with spade connectors where the light will be when the panel is re-fitted. Don't worry about pulling your car apart it does so easily and goes back without any rattles wnen driving. Remember to put foam around any part of the wiring that touches the car as this will prevent any future rattles or noises.

I think I am going to stick with the one as the lighting level is good enough. If you are interested I paid twenty pound including P+P for them both so you can have the one for a tenner including P+P. Definitely a job worth doing even if you source your parts locally.

Incidentally, don't you think it beggers believe that Toyota put the RAV on the market with the rear area as it is, ie the parcel shelf carry on, no illimination in the boot area, only a partially opening rear door, no parking sensors but we all live with it or as I do modifiy it to suit my needs.

You've made a good job of them.

Nice one!

Hi mate, I have just fitted one a coupe of days ago. It is absolutely chucking down at the moment so when it stops I will post a picture or two. I have also fitted footwell lights so I will let you have a look at those too.

I bought a couple off e-bay and only fitted the one to see what the illumination was like. It requires a hole to be cut as it is a recessed type and is also fitted with a switch so that it can be turned on permantly, with the door or off, a normal interior light set up.

Removal of the rear panel is dead easy, see this link

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aim_Searc...0&strAccGroup=0

and look up the fitting of a 'vehicle security system' or 'parking aid system' in the Accessory Group category, both show how to remove it. Wiring is taken straight from the exisitng rear interior light (two wires plus a local earth) and need to be fed back to the new light. I done this by pulling off some of the rubber door seal and took them down the rear pillar along an existing wiring harness (securely clipped to it with cable ties) and terminated them with spade connectors where the light will be when the panel is re-fitted. Don't worry about pulling your car apart it does so easily and goes back without any rattles wnen driving. Remember to put foam around any part of the wiring that touches the car as this will prevent any future rattles or noises.

I think I am going to stick with the one as the lighting level is good enough. If you are interested I paid twenty pound including P+P for them both so you can have the one for a tenner including P+P. Definitely a job worth doing even if you source your parts locally.

Incidentally, don't you think it beggers believe that Toyota put the RAV on the market with the rear area as it is, ie the parcel shelf carry on, no illimination in the boot area, only a partially opening rear door, no parking sensors but we all live with it or as I do modifiy it to suit my needs.

What a brilliant link to toyota-europe ,some great information, top find :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info - any especially for the link which is fantastic!

I think I'll try both the interior light and the rear parking sensors armed with this information.

Do you have any other information on the eBay supplier of the recessed lights? I'd like to go for one either side.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info - any especially for the link which is fantastic!

I think I'll try both the interior light and the rear parking sensors armed with this information.

Do you have any other information on the ebay supplier of the recessed lights? I'd like to go for one either side.

Thanks again.

This is one area we all should do... Bad part on Toyota for not doing it. Wonder if they have in the new version. Only ever seen pictures inside the front and not the boot.....

Will attempt this now I have all the docs required .. :thumbsup: Top find for the pdf doc's though very handy :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links