• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GiJoe90

• GIDDLEPIN

• knowlson

• Calisto

as everyone else has said really, glad hes alright! the car was an absolute stunner! one of the best/unique on the forums but the main things hes alright.

very sprry to hear this - wishing him an easy recovery...

Rash.

i to have only just read of this...

is awfull, but very grateful hes alive.

thoughts are with joe and laura, and his family. x

Only just noticed this post, this is just terrible, my best wishes for a speedy recovery go out to you, my thoughts are with you all at this time

Charlie

:( All my best to joe hope he recovers quickly, Been speaking to joe since he had the rolla. Tell him to take it easy :thumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to let us all know

Get well soon, my thoughts are with you and his family.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks here's an update. Yes it's me and I'm at home!! Was sent home yesterday but felt a bit rough by the time I got home.

I've broken the post down into sections so it's easier to read. Sorry it's long but I've been through a lot and thought I'd let you know where I am right now.

The Accident

This occured on Christmas Day (Early afternoon). I can't remember anything of Christmas day itself even my Mum's fine roast dinner!

Those of you who know me & have been in a car with me will know that I don't drive like a nutter & I'm no buy racer. Ok I'm 24 & like fast cars but I always drove the MR2 with maximum respect as I know they can bite back from my friends past experiences with a couple.

Where the accident happened I can only presume the back end of the car went as I came off a large roundabout which I then Carrered through a fence and into a tree backwards. If I’d hit the tree going forwards I think it would have been a different storey! (Pictures to follow)

I managed to get 3 ambulances, a couple of fire engines (Had to be cut from the car) and several police who closed one of the main dual carriageways into Scunny for 3 hours.

The police took my mobile and Rev 6 headlights (Must have liked the look of them!). Nothing wrong was found with the car surprise surprise.

Road

The dual carriageway is one of the main routes into Scunny from the motorway and passes by the steelworks.

It has a bit of a reputation & is called Mortal Ash Hill. I know a black MR2 that met its maker on there in the summer just gone. I’ve also seen a car flip on this stretch of road a few years ago.

On the way back from the hospital yesterday we drove past the accident site which was a bit weird. There are loads of pieces of fence missing just by the roundabout which I presume are where other vehicles have gone off in the past. I’ve left my mark on the tree!

As it was Christmas day the roads were dead & the weather wasn’t bad, maybe a little greasy. I’d love to say I hit some oil/ice or had a blow out which caused it but I have no recollection of any of it.

Passenger

I was taking my cousin out for a quick blast as he hadn’t been in the car before. Luckily he got out of it a lot better than me. He has some spinal injury but nothing major. He managed to get out of the car when it came to a stop. Badly shaken & I’ve put an end to his B-ball season this time around but he’s looking forward to a snowboard holiday in a couple of months time. He’s between Uni and home until he fully recovers. I am so sorry he was involved but glad he got away with fairly minor injuries.

Car

Those who saw my car will appreciate the effort I put into it and what a beautiful example she was. My absolute pride and joy!

I bought the car in January 2005 (virtually standard) modded it up and managed (to my absolute surprise) to win TOC car of the show at JAE this summer just gone.

She drove like a dream & I could only describe the performance/acceleration as relentless. The sound of the induction/turbo/Bov made me smile so much every time. :yes:

This was one of my dream cars to own & I don’t think I’ll ever understand why it ended so badly.

I was due to take her off the road Jan-Mar and get her totally sorted for spring/summer.

Hospital

I was in hospital for exactly a month, the first 10 days I know nothing of as I was out of it altogether. I immediately went into surgery and had my back brace fitted. Apparently I looked like the Michelin man as I swelled up that much! I’m so lucky to be here and it was touch and go for those first few days. Even when I regained my consciousness it was debateable as to what state I was going to be in. I have to say someone was watching over me and I’ve had a lot of prayers said for me.

I’ve had some pretty major surgery carried out on my head which involved removing some skull to get rid of a blood clot. This was then left out for a few weeks whilst the swelling was allowed to occur and screwed back in a week last Monday. At least I knew what was going on this time around but the next 3 days I felt terrible. I’m still getting head pains but nothing major.

It was decided against putting some plates in my spine but let it naturally heal, this will take time.

All of this time I had to lay flat until January 23rd when I took my first few steps. I made good progress and the phycios where pleased with me enough to let me come home. I’m very steady on my feet and have to wear the back brace for some time yet but I can manage stairs slowly & walk around. My calves and ankles are so stiff from not doing anything for a month!

I have to go back tomorrow to have the stitches and staples removed from my head (40 of them!) 10.5 inch scar on my head but it should be hidden by my hair (until I go bald!). I have a picture but you probably don’t want to see it!

All of the doctors and nursing staff were absolutely fantastic from my stay in Hull and I can’t fault them at all.

Support

Big up to all the people on here for your kind words and support, there’s a lot of love out there. :group-cuddles:

Big thanks to those who visited me:

JJ

Mo (Thanks also for sorting the bits with the car mate)

Les & Anne (I know your not up to much at the moment Les but surely not visiting poorly me all the time, thanks) I got moved from the windows due to TOC stickers appearing every time I was near!

Moffmo

Kev – Thanks for the call, hope Leia is better now

Thanks for the donations too you naughty people.

Finally thanks to my family who have been a massive support. 60 mile round trip + £5 bridge toll + hospital parking every single day. Especially my Mum and Fiancée for stopping over when it was looking touch and go. My finacee for getting a £140 taxi to hospital when I was admitted!

You guys are amazing. I am so lucky.

Conclusion

Be careful out there, never underestimate anything. At the same time live life to the full and enjoy every minute of it. Don’t let things hold you back.

Don’t take people for granted and show a little love & appreciation, you never know when they’ll be there for you and it’s a great feeling when they are.

The doctors are amazed with the progress and recovery I’ve made (been called a miracle case) but when you get support like this it’s difficult not to.

I’m going to be off work for a while and it looks like I’ll have to surrender my driving licence for 12 months due to the surgery but I’ll keep positive, it’s worked so far for me.

Thanks guys

Joe

Loving life!

Joe,

Firstly welcome back lad! :thumbsup:

Its so good to hear you have managed to get home so quick considering the situation at hand. I will catch up with you properly later maybe on MSN since you will have some time on your hands bud! :P

Keep getting better and dont stress your body too much..

All the best lad...

Fizz :)

Hope you got a good warranty on all the parts you had fitted while in hospital :P

Want another Toc sticker for your bedroom window? ;)

Les

Here are a few pictures my Mum took at the storage place. Made the local paper a few times, I'll get it scanned in and posted as soon as I get someone to bend over to reach the scanner!

IMGP4707.jpg

IMGP4701.jpg

IMGP4704.jpg

Think I did a good job of it!

Joe

Glad everything's going well Joe :thumbsup:

*Edit*

Whoa, nobody's going to be asking you for a spare part out of that mess :eek:

Your one very lucky fella thankfully :D

Sounds awful but good to see you're through the worst part. Makes me realise how lucky I am. Really important message in the conclusion there, hopefully your experience will help us all live better lives & not take as many things for granted. Good luck with the recovery.

[Edit - having just seen the pictures I think 3 words sum it up: Oh. Be. Jesus. Hard to think that 5 weeks ago that was a beautiful, roadworthy car. Could so easily have been so much worse, thank God it wasn't]

Edited by Kev Mc

hey joe mate, glad to see youv made (imo) a swift recovery!!

couldnt belive how well you looked considering i had seen the pictures in the newspaper.

Glad to hear that you're on the up and up. I think that's what insurance groups call "beyond economical repair"!

Take your own good time and take care. :thumbsup:

Guest rev3turbo

great news that you're back at home buddy,

won't have so far to go to visit you now :lol:

if there's anything u need or anything i can do to help just gimme a call m8, or catch me on msn.

take it easy bro !

Mo.

Hey Joe, Im very glad your home and on the way to a full recovery.

KITT will miss her M62 play pal as im sure we all will. :yes:

Take care, love and hugs.... Ash.x