Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris D-4d Or Corolla D-4d

DaveSR

Right .... I have a new job and it looks like i'm going to be a two-car family (Well me and the missus). My job is pretty far away at 75miles although I don't have to travel everyday as I can work at home, so because of these facts I'm looking at getting a diesel.

My only thought was the Corolla 1.4 D-4D/2.0L D-4D, however on my visit to Mr T the Yaris D-4D has popped into the equation. As I have never driven a diesel before I have booked a test drive on Tuesday in the Corolla 1.4 D-4D to get a feel of the car and one being powered by diesel.

Now i'm not able to afford a brand new car, but I am looking at a Yaris/Corolla being no more than the 8k mark, 6 months to 1.5 years old (these are the details Mr T told me in my price range/being most suitable).

I love my yaris and I like the way it drives, however now i'm getting older and have a good job I would like to move up in the world, hence looking at the Corolla.

The insurance would be okay as both the yaris and the 1.4 D-4D Corolla are in the same band as my current yaris, but the 2.0L D-4D is only one band higher so not a problem there.

As you can probably guess, the yaris is the cheaper option and gives a better mpg figure as well as cheaper road tax, however I would like to move on up even though the Corolla has a lower mpg than the yaris.

So my predicament is - what do I choose?

The yaris is the best option but I would really like an Corolla. Shall I just buy the yaris and then a few years down the line (hopefully with a pay rise) trade it in for a better car, or shall I just splash out that little bit extra, lose the extra mpg compared to the yaris and buy the Coralla?

Boy it's a tough choice ..... I know it's my decision, but I would like to know what you guys think especially the D-4D guys and their performance on the road (mainly the motorway) Does the 1.4 D-4D do the job or shall I get the 2.0L version?

BTW - sorry for the essay, I look forward to your comments!

I've got a 1.6 02' corolla, its not a diesel but i think its a comfortable car to drive on the motorway, not too soft and not to harsh. Road noise is kept ok. If i was you i'd spend the bit extra and get the 'rolla, its a bigger car and you'll enjoy it.

also if you get a pre-facelift T-spirit, you get an optronic dashboard display-look fantastic @ night, but on the face-lift model it comes standard

Edited by bhinderharminder

Hmm I would go for the 'Rolla seeing as you have got the finances to allow, but as I have never driven a diesel I cant comment on that side of things.

Just looking over the figures again and the Corolla 2.0L D-4D is not worth looking at, as the mpg isn't that fantastic to what I currently have.

So the choice is the Corolla or Yaris 1.4 D-4D. They both have the same 89bhp however the yaris is in taxband B (£85) and the Corolla is taxband C (£115). The Yaris's mpg figure is 62.8 and the corolla figure is 58.9.

The yaris is the cheaper car overall and would be cheaper to insure, space isn't an issue however it would be nice!

hmm - two yaris's on the drive :wacko:

I've narrowed it down to two I guess ..... oh and the T3 spec ;) !

I am, unsurprisingly, going to "up" the Yaris D-4D...

You know most of the plus features about the Yaris, so there's no point going into them (the comfy seats over long journeys, economy, space, etc) but what you won't be used to is the low-revving torquey motor. Sure, on paper its no quicker than a 1.3, but the power delivery from low down means that you can use more of the perfarmane more of the time.

The diesel is also considerably quieter than the petrol models when cruising as the motor isn't having to rev like a demented wasp to keep you at speed. Just think - acceleration up hills, even on the motorway!

Of course, the Corrolla will probably be able to do these things too, so in the end it depends how much you need the extra space really. Personally I would go for the Yaris as there's just me. Its not as though your going to make a "bad" decision either way though...

:thumbsup:

Alan

PS Once you get used to a diesel you do wonder if you'd even have another petrol car that isn't an out-and-out sportscar...

2.0 D-4D Corolla is nice - very peppy and economical - we might be selling ours soon if you might be interested? 52 reg T-Spirit 5 door! :thumbsup:

The 1.4 D-4D Corolla in all honesty isnt as good as the 2.0, I'm not saying that because I'm biased, but the 2.0 has more pep about it and doesnt feel so sluggish!

Get the Yaris D4D, more power to weight ratio

and can always get the same kit as yoru current SR and make them both look awesome on the drive!!!

Just a idea

Nick

They both have the same 89bhp however the yaris is in taxband B (£85) and the Corolla is taxband C (£115). The Yaris's mpg figure is 62.8 and the corolla figure is 58.9.

Just to note, the new 2006 Yaris D4D has the 89bhp D4D whilst the old ones are 74bhp.

Get the Yaris D4D, more power to weight ratio

Nick

I agree and like Em says the 2.0 will probably be better but like you said the MPG isn't favorable. See how it goes on your test drive I'd also recommend, if possible, to get a test drive in the Yaris as well so you get to feel the difference.

In terms of performance and on the motorway the Yaris D4D was great and highly underestimated, effortless overtaking even up hills like Alan said, guaranteed to leave a big grin on your face. :D

hi,i think petrol engines are better,they're more dinamic and quiet and also clean and responsive :D ,but you said you like diesel.i have corolla vvt-i,but drove for testdrive corolla 1.4d4-d and i didn't like the dinamic :( --it's not responsive and is a little sluggish,my old corolla 1.3 12v has better acceleration.but that diesel engine is very economical. :D :hokus-pokus:

They both have the same 89bhp however the yaris is in taxband B (£85) and the Corolla is taxband C (£115). The Yaris's mpg figure is 62.8 and the corolla figure is 58.9.

Just to note, the new 2006 Yaris D4D has the 89bhp D4D whilst the old ones are 74bhp.

Thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup: !

But if you spend a few bob on a diesel tuning box the 74hp model gives out close to 100hp.

We used to fight over the keys to our 100hp 1.9tdi before we fitted the box to our 74hp D-4D. They both feel UTTERLY different to drive, but now there's not much in it performance wise.

Search flea bay for Mini D tuning boxes, it's the same engine.

... and those mpg figures, were they obtained by Big Foot? We regularly get over 70mpg from ours.

Just an idea but why not look around for a car with an LPG conversion???

But if you spend a few bob on a diesel tuning box the 74hp model gives out close to 100hp.

[snip

Search flea bay for Mini D tuning boxes, it's the same engine.

I've had contact with a Mini tuner chap called Will at

http://www.mini2tuning.co.uk/index2.html

He mentions the ECU map on the Yaris is a bit different from the Mini, but he can remap the Yaris to similar spec, which gives enormous torque and 104 BHP :drool: for £195. Takes 1-2 hours and a few days' notice. On a car this light, that will be a quick, but economical motor.

You're talking about a 104hp remap of the ECU for £195, I've got a 100hp tuning box for £150.

I made similar discoveries when I was fact finding, however on balance I thought that extra 4hp was a bit expensive.

Also to bear in mind: If the car needs to go back to Mr T for any work to be done I can put the car back to standard within 30 seconds ... bit difficult with a remapped ECU?

You're talking about a 104hp remap of the ECU for £195, I've got a 100hp tuning box for £150.

I made similar discoveries when I was fact finding, however on balance I thought that extra 4hp was a bit expensive.

Also to bear in mind: If the car needs to go back to Mr T for any work to be done I can put the car back to standard within 30 seconds ... bit difficult with a remapped ECU?

I thought that, but all the links I tried are now asking about £250. If you can point me to a nice, fresh £150 link I would be well grateful :thumbsup:

Dave, diseasels you will find are a doddle to drive. The clutch can be abused like nothing else! If you stall a diesel then you must've been trying to do it!

You may notice the extra weight in the front if you press on with pace, but other than that, the only difference is the hideous rumble!

Cheers for the info folks!

Just to let you know that I test drove the Corolla 1.4 D-4D CC today and I was amazed. It had more pull and got to 70mph at easy, the engine noise wasn't that bad either! The speedo dials looked fancy too!

Who said diesels where pants cars? I'm loving it!

I'm quite impressed really, so this is what I'm going for :D ! as it covers all my needs and has a lot of extra kit/space/comfort that the yairs don't!

However it's not all good news as there's non in the market :crybaby: ! It's all 2.0L and there cheaper than the 1.4's lol

So I've got to make my mind up ..... spend more and get the 1.4 or spend less and get the 2.0

:wacko:

What do you think :rolleyes::lol::lol: !

Also while I'm here .... anything I need to know about diesels?

I know that servicing the car will cost more than a petrol (or so I'm lead to believe?), but is there any other facts/points I need to look at before making the plunge?

So, you've made a decision. To be honest you were on to a winner either way so I hope you find one that you want soon.

As regards servicing, quite frankly I've noticed no particular difference in costs from my first 1.0 Yaris. Servicing schedules are just the same (every 10k - or about 6 months for me) so its not as if you're paying for more services.

Hth,

Alan