Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong To Be Tempted?

Robie

I'm looking at getting a new car and would be willing to fork out a bit more for a new one for warranty, 3 years of trouble free motoring.

Looking at the figures the Diesel variant of the Yaris is faster and quicker than either of the petrol models. Obviously I would have to test drive both but are there any other disadvantages of diesel, or any other comments you would like to add to the discussion, that I should look out for.

I don't like tractors but it seems pointless to have a 1.3 yaris just because I dont like the noise of a diesel engine when the diesel is both faster and quicker!

Max Speed:

1.3L Petrol = 106

1.4L Diesel = 109

0-62:

1.3 = 11.5

1.4 = 10.7

Also I have a limited understanding of VVT-i and obviously the Diesel engine dosen't have this. Clearly the performance figures dont reflect this so I'm assuming it has something similar?

The diesel engine is:

1.4 litre D-4D 90 1ND-TV

Chars :thumbsup:

T6 be honest japanese diesels seem to be alot better these days, mum has just changed her 04 golf 1.9 tdi for a honda crv 2.2 i-ctdi and the difference is amazing

The Yaris diesel is about as far removed from the old tractor type diesels as you can get!

Mine is quiet, and compared to our other tdi it's quite revvy, you need 2k rpm on the clock to get REAL power - if you keep the needle between 2-3k rpm you find yourself moving along nicely.

Forget the quoted mpg figures and 0-60mph figures, we regularly get over 70mpg even with the tuning box screwed right up. The Yaris diesel is only slightly slow 0-60mph as standard, but if you buy a car out of warranty why not fit a tuning box. It means our Yaris is now only slightly slower than our 100hp 1.9tdi.

Also I have a limited understanding of VVT-i and obviously the Diesel engine dosen't have this. Clearly the performance figures dont reflect this so I'm assuming it has something similar?

Chars :thumbsup:

it has TURBO!!!!! :D :D

Totally different to a petrol one mind you :blink:

I test drove the Corolla 1.4 diesel the other day, and according to Mr T it's going to be the same engine in the yaris!

I was very surprised by the quietness of the engine as well as the amount of pull it had - I also agree with you that the diesel is the best option to get :thumbsup: !

No shame in the diesel... but then I would say that! :D

A

There's not a lot of difference between them though, is there? Ok, maybe the 0.8s to 62mph might be noticed but how often are you going to find yourself at 106mph and wanting to do 3mph more? :D

Test drive both, then decide. :thumbsup:

Just the tractor noise i cant stand with a diesel i know there getting better but there not the same

I went from a smooth quiet 3.2 V6 petrol to my diesel Yaris. I tell you, when you are inside and drive off, you hardly notice, its very well insulated. Up to speed when warm there's no difference at all in noise.

Keeping up with the traffic, especially overtaking on long hillclimbs, the torque from that motor lets the D-4D show a clean pair of heals to much more expensive cars. And as Blackbird says, for a few quid you get a safe 100bhp and tons of extra torque to make the car even more special. And still have 65mpg+ in your pocket.

The most desirable BM's, Mercs and Audi are... diesels...

M3, M5, all the AMG's, RS4, RS6...

Need I go on? Are any of them diesels? Didn't think so! :rolleyes:

M3, M5, all the AMG's, RS4, RS6...

Need I go on? Are any of them diesels? Didn't think so! :rolleyes:

Nope, really! Folk who don't want to go for pure performance will want the diesels now. What X5 has the best depreciation by a clear mile? -the 3.0D A new 325D is a far quicker, far better drive than a 320 petrol and returns bags more economy, with monster torque. The Audi 4.0 Diesel is astonishing. On british roads, torque really makes the difference. Sure petrols have faster top speed, but to be honest who ever explores their cars' top speeds, or anything near it, without looking over their shoulder these days?

To play fair, IF I could afford to buy an M5 (V10) or RS6 etc, AND afford to run it, then yeah, I'd go for one of them. That's why I play the lottery... ;)

Yep ...... I'm starting to notice ALOTof diesels on the road :yes: !

And alot of them are damn quick

The only thing that give's it away from being a petrol is the difference in noise if you can notice it ..... oh and the diesel Badge :P

I would say my Dad's BMW 530d is pretty desireable... Actually, the only vehicle our family has that isn't diesel's my little sister's 1.0 Yaris CC.

Unless I buy something overtly sporting as a "weekend" car then I don't see me buying petrol over diesel tbh...

A

PS Have just realised the 2CV's petrol - but its so weird it doesn't really count... :rolleyes:

The only thing that give's it away from being a petrol is the difference in noise if you can notice it ..... oh and the diesel badge :P

You'll have to pull up along side of mine to know that it's diesel cus I haven't got the D-4D Badge on the back (I don't think any Avensis has) unlike most other manufacturers :P.

The only thing that give's it away from being a petrol is the difference in noise if you can notice it ..... oh and the diesel badge :P

You'll have to pull up along side of mine to know that it's diesel cus I haven't got the D-4D Badge on the back (I don't think any Avensis has) unlike most other manufacturers :P.

D-4D Badge is on the side under the repeater....

Well thats where it is on our Corolla.... :thumbsup:

No it's not wrong to be tempted. I'll confess I was tempted about the D4D when I got the Yaris Blue but funds didnt allow me to stretch to it. Do agree with test driving it obviously before making the final decision.

Diesels have lower depreciation...much easier to sell on.

80K in a petrol engine..against 80K in a diesel.....you'd always choose the diesel...just about run in. High Torque, low RPM is less engine wear. Less gear changes...less clutch wear

As the water is taken out the fuel...one exhaust pretty much for life....same with similar components.

Performance 0-60....what's the point.. 30-70 - most important..much better figures with Diesels.

Bad points...take much longer to warm up... very poluting when cold/cat cold.

noisy when cold..but not overly.

Engines are more complicated, little you can do yourself when they do go wrong, it can be expensive..but they hardly ever do.

I've always had diesel's other than the Yaris TS, very glad I switched back to diesel...won't be swayed again.

vipes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links