Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed

immy1

hi guys,

having a bit of a weird problem can anyone offer any advise.

i have a '91 gti, up until two days ago everything was fine, i was sitting in traffic, behind a police car, and my car started to rev itself!

it revved upto about 3000rpm and kept dropping between 2-3000 rpm. when i got moving again, the car drove like normal, but everytime its in neutral or very low speed( even when in gear) the car revs itself.

when its being driven it fine. i have no idea what it is?

can u help?

thanks in advance

Hmm, that is weird. Unfortunatly i cant solve your problem, but i can say that i have noticed something similar. When stationary when i put my foot on the brake, or turn the steering wheel to the left or right my revs do increase.

James

Immy1,

"it revved upto about 3000rpm and kept dropping between 2-3000 rpm. when i got moving again, the car drove like normal, but everytime its in neutral or very low speed( even when in gear) the car revs itself."

Once had a very similar prob on my AE82. Turned out to be the heater matrix leaking and the coolant dripping on to the ECU. Very embarassing, loads of revs like pumping the throttle pedal. But it never happened while sitting behind a cop car hahahaha...

Cheers

Andy

have a look on the air box. there is a small unit on it with a wiring plug and a small vaccume pipe. if the pipe or wiring is disconected this can cause erratic idling. also check for vacume leaks. other thatn that it may be the idle control valve thats malfunctioning

check the water level in the rad, if they get low on water this can happen, or if you have a air lock in the pipes. I had a hose on my ae82 (same engine) that was leaking, every time it started running like you said yours is, it needed more water, then i would stop again

hi guys,

having a bit of a weird problem can anyone offer any advise.

i have a '91 gti, up until two days ago everything was fine, i was sitting in traffic, behind a police car, and my car started to rev itself!

it revved upto about 3000rpm and kept dropping between 2-3000 rpm. when i got moving again, the car drove like normal, but everytime its in neutral or very low speed( even when in gear) the car revs itself.

when its being driven it fine. i have no idea what it is?

can u help?

thanks in advance

Almost certainly a sensor in the cooling system. If your water temp guage is fluctuating then it's probably low coolant level so the temperature sensor either gets hot air or hot coolant as it is pumped roound the system. Could be caused be a leak, faulty radiator cap or the expansion bottle is empty and the system is sucking in air. Maybe it's the temperature sensor or the electrical connection to it, if the coolant level is OK.

thanks guys,

problem now solved :thumbsup:

turned out that just the coolant was low. soon as it was topped up problem solved.

thanks for the help, knew i could count on u guys :)

thanks guys,

problem now solved :thumbsup:

turned out that just the coolant was low. soon as it was topped up problem solved.

thanks for the help, knew i could count on u guys :)

thought it would be, dont let it do that again :D