Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'03 Avensis 1.8l Vvti

toner

Hi

Has anyone else expierienced/ heard abut excessive oil burning or engine failure on this model? I'm having problem in this regard and have heard from a few sources that it is a common occurance on this particular 2003 / 2002 model.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's one of the few potential problems a small number of earlier VVT-i Avensi can have, although it is a major one if you are unlucky enough to get it. As such it's one of the few fault topics here so I suggest you read through -- posts about this are quite prevalent.

But to sum up, with the 'faulty batch', Toyota set the oil consumption at a particular level per miles, and if it exceeds that you may be entitled to a new half engine, for example, to sort it out once and for all. People talk of an 'unpublicized' five year guarantee on the engine due the faulty batch. Find info about assessing your situation and, if necessary, approaching your dealer with the facts at hand from this forim. Good luck!

ring toyota uk with your engine block number toyota have modified the parts ie they are aware what is faulty it is to do with bore wear and low sulphur fuel

ring toyota uk with your engine block number toyota have modified the parts ie they are aware what is faulty it is to do with bore wear and low sulphur fuel

[/quote

Hi, Do you reckon the oil consumption problem is related to just a batch of engines 18vvti. fitted in early 2000 Avensis, Give you an example. My Avensis is an 18vvti X reg 2000, And i bought the car to use as a taxi, Now done 81000 miles and i oil change at 6000 intervals. and never yet had to top-up between changes, (honest) , This car had a dealer stamped history, so i know it was never short-motored ,

By all the posts on this subject a 2000 would fall into the problem area. Could i just have a lucky one? Jim

Good luck with contacting Toyota. I tried this and asked quite specific questions about whether my engine fell into the faulty ones. I gave them all the details of my vehicle and they even read my question back to me to confirm they had it right - I wanted to know if my engine was in the batch of known faulty ones!! :lol:

Two days later I got an answerphone massage saying "Yes, there was an extended warrenty on these engines" :huh:

That is it!! Nothing else!! And certainly not the answer to my questions. :censor:

A genuine error - or Toyota trying to avoid the question. :wacko:

Hi, Do you reckon the oil consumption problem is related to just a batch of engines 18vvti. fitted in early 2000 Avensis, Give you an example. My Avensis is an 18vvti X reg 2000, And i bought the car to use as a taxi, Now done 81000 miles and i oil change at 6000 intervals. and never yet had to top-up between changes, (honest) , This car had a dealer stamped history, so i know it was never short-motored ,

By all the posts on this subject a 2000 would fall into the problem area. Could i just have a lucky one? Jim

Here's hoping Jim! :thumbsup:

I have just bought a 2000/X (unaware of the potential problem) and am waiting to see if it has the dreded oil problem.

Fingers crossed then!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links