Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Gt (first Post)

Special Red

Firstly I'd like to say hello to all as this is my first post. :thumbsup:

This weekend I saw a nice shiney Celica for sale so went to the bank withdrew some money and bought the thing! Now, I would at this point like to point out that I was and have been into my Vauxhalls for most of my driving life and so to go out and buy a Toyota was a toughy. I now think that I have made a big mistake over the last 7 years and dont think I could go back, unless a nice clean As...... no I wont even say it!

The problem In buying on a wim is that I know little about the Performance figures so could someone please direct me to or give me some specs for a 96 Celica GT???

Cheers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Special Red

• GT4 BOOSTER

• adamgt

• daktari

GT, you'll have the 1998cc 3s-GE ..

about 170bhp .. same engine in the NA mk2 MR2 ..

(oh, and I'll move the post to the Celica section where peeps can give you more details.)

Congrats on your purchase :thumbsup:

I too have owned a vauxhall (and a citroen :wacko: ) before going Toyota.

Now im on my third Celica Gen 6 but have also gone through 2 supra mk4's, an mr2 and for some strange reason a lucida :lol:

Yep you have about 170bhp and a 0-60 of about 7.8secs if i remember correctly.

The thing with the celica is its a very plesant car to drive slowly and is quite comfortable and refined.

But keep the revs up between 5000-7000rpm and it turns into a monster.

Im sure you'll have a lot of fun with it :thumbsup:

Lee

cookci has got a section that is pinned called celica generation 6

that should be loads of help for you

WELCOME :thumbsup:

I have noticed that at about 6000rpm it seems to get a second wind, but the trouble is Im used to vauxhalls so I get paranoid its going to blow up when revved!!! Its fast enough but its more the drive thats got me, It feels so tight even after 112,000 miles.

It feels so tight even after 112,000 miles.

are we still talking cars here ?

Its the first car Ive bought I actually believe the owner took genuine care of. It puts your mind at ease when the ONLY previous owner lives in a 6 bed detached and has two 55 plate cars, one a Scooby and the other a Lexus.

i cant remember selling it to you.

:Jumpy: it really should lift off about 4k on the revs IN SECOND GEAR , its a twin cam so = a high revving engine - go on boot it she will thank you for it . Celicas love it.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB :thumbsup:

I know it starts to fly at 4000rpm but then it seems to really shift at 6000rpm.

Are there any common faults I should look out for????

some say they have a kind of vvti lift at 6k . i was going too fast to notice . common faults i'd have to say no . none.

I know it starts to fly at 4000rpm but then it seems to really shift at 6000rpm.

Are there any common faults I should look out for????

Yeah.... Boy racers in vauxhalls trying to come through the tailgate, :D

Welcomr to TOC matey. :thumbsup:

you know i drive a corsa auto . grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Really ???? Silly me. I forgot. :lol:

please do .

Ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol::lol:

thats funny!

oh, and sorry to add this here... but i sent you a PM GT4_BOOSTER

glad i can be of some humor - he he , pm answered mate

Welcome to TOC, this is a great forum. I purchased a Gen 6 (ok it's the 3s-fe) last year on a whim and I love the car. In fact for the first time in my life I have stripped the thing down and am replacing parts, painting hubs, backplates, calipers etc cause I like the car so much.

Now the peeps on here have got much faster cars than my version and I have had it for 6 months but I can tell you that driving the car puts a smile on my face it feels so good. (yep still talking cars here)

The only thing is that I really cant understand why it has taken me so long to get one. I have been driving scrap (vauxhals, fords, pugeots, rovers) for years but now I am there It will take a lot for me to be without either a Celica or a MR2. In fact I am for selling the house later this year and if I do it right I will be trying to hive off enough cash for a little MR2 as well.

Martin - I agree mate there a nice car to drive and to look at and fair enough there are some GT-4 owners out there who would leave us behind but to be honest my c20LET GTE would have been more than a match for most on here ;) (Im not bragging or wanting to cause a 'My cars faster than yours' argument) but its the overall package that makes the Celica that much better than most older cars (and newer)!!

Any one know the best people to host pictures so I can put a picture of my car up?

photobucket is popular ..

and you are right about the "package" .. I'm a Honda boy now (boo, hiss) and it's so much nicer overall compared to my old 'yota .. it's probably not as quick in a straight line, but it's a lot better on a lot more things.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links