Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Wheels

Dann

Hey there!

Not long had my Aygo Sport (Carbon Quartz!). This is my first car and I love it!

However I'm not that fond of the stock alloys, I was wondering what size alloys would fit on it.

Stocks are 14", you reckon 15",16" or maybe even 17" would fit?

I'm looking at these currently, they come in 15" and 17"

Click To View Alloys

Also any news on body kits other than the TTE. And what would the cost most likely be for the TTE mods.

Many thanks

Dann

Oh and here is a pic of my beauty

myaygo.jpg

It all depends on what you are looking for...

15 16 inch wheels is possible, but do not forget that the tyres will be bigger too, and bigger tyres means less economic in petrol and less performance of speed, and even less adherence on wet, muddy and snowy roads.

Another problem is that the turning circle will become wider, or the tyres will hit the carrosserie.

TTE has 15 inch tyres 175/50-R15, which is about the maximum reasonable without loosing to much performance,

but if I were you I would stick to 14 inch wheels with 165/60-R14 tyres and some lowering springs.

The wheels you mention have an ET38..., the original ones are ET39, so thats not too bad, but be carefull here again, when you widen the wheels the forces on the suspensions and bearings will increase...and will last shorter.

Take a look here for the lowering springs:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.comforum/viewtopic.php?t=65

and here for wheels and tyres:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.comforum/viewtopic.php?t=10

And take a look at this topic for all kind of alloy wheels:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.comforum/viewtopic.php?t=34

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I generally get what your saying, I know NOTHING about tyres,wheels or cars in general for that matter. I've only been driving about 3-4 months, although I am a keen admirer of good looking cars ^^. I do plan to learn more about what I'm driving, it's just listening to the right people.

My problem is, I love my Aygo, I just want to make it look like a sportier car to compensate for the fact I can't afford any bigger engine cars :( . But I do believe the Aygo is a great template, I've recently mailed my local Toyota dealer asking for quotes on the TTE mods, although I don't expect a reply.

Anyway thanks again for the info, much appreciated. I'll try stick to 14-15" wheels and lowering springs. The Images in the TTE catalog don't really do the mods justice as there is no "before" - "after" shots, and doesn't help not being in the same color as I have :P (yes I lack imagination)

Cheers

Dann

Dann

I had TTE springs fitted by Toyota for £330 all in. I would recommend getting this done.

For 2 very cheap but worthwhile changes get a new gear knob and a shorter aerial. Next I'm looking at debadging the rear as it has 4 lumps of badges on it.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there,

I just bought 4 days ago a aygo. I dont like the normale alloy's so now I bought 16" stilauto SR 800 alloy's the go with a 195/45/r16 semperit tire. :thumbsup:

The Toyota garage I visited said that 16" is max, >comfort etc.

17"could fit but then your tire will be uncomfortly thin.

;)

greetz

Dann

I had TTE springs fitted by Toyota for £330 all in. I would recommend getting this done.

For 2 very cheap but worthwhile changes get a new gear knob and a shorter aerial. Next I'm looking at debadging the rear as it has 4 lumps of badges on it.

debadging leaves 2 holes behind... :yes:

hi there,

I just bought 4 days ago a aygo. I dont like the normale alloy's so now I bought 16" stilauto SR 800 alloy's the go with a 195/45/r16 semperit tire. :thumbsup:

;)

greetz

Any chance of getting a picture up with your new alloys

hi there,

;)

greetz

Any chance of getting a picture up with your new alloys

Yes sure, no problem,... well no? :blink: I placed the order and I will get my new aygo half of march. But when I get it I will place the picture on the forum. :thumbsup:

OK - I thought you already had it.

What colour are you getting and why such a long wait ?

I'm getting the fire-red. 2 months waiting is very normal in the Netherlands for a car. Not that I think it's normal... :P I'm now quite nervouse because I really hope that 16 inch is big enough.

c1-402.jpg

here is 16 inch on a citroën c1.

http://www.tyrexpert.ru/photos/disk/3/disk245.gif

this is the alloy I bought for my Aygo :lol:

The wheels will be there in about 3 weeks or so. Then I wil make pictures of them in front of the Aygo

stuff something mad like 18s on there!

not really going to worry about the performance are you :lol:

I'm waiting over six month now for my C1 in the south of France..., and now the car is there and ready to pick up I can'y go there... one foot of snow...

stuff something mad like 18s on there!

not really going to worry about the performance are you :lol:

18 inch :lol:

sometimes I have to go left or right ;) 16 inch is ok I think,

050304ayg1.jpg here is 17 maybe 18 inch on an aygo ;)

About wheels...

Take a look at the Gruppo Peroni Citroen C1 CUP, an Italian Race version of the C1 that will start this spring.

They use 14 inch wheels!

TTE develeoped 15 inch alloys, but with 175/50-R15 tyres.

I think this is the maximum Tyre for the car on dry circuit conditions.

For evreyday driving I prefer 165/60-R14!

To give you an idee how small snow tyres are..., with and without spikes...

Sébastien LOEB & Daniel ELENA in the Citroen XSARA WRC during the Rallye of Sweden this weekend.

2769.jpg

Can't see why everyone is concerned with filling the wheel arches and lowering the car? Surely the gap between the front wheel and the top of the front wheel arch is a good indication of how much wheel travel the car has when the steering is on lock, nothing wrong with stiffening though, but how long will the car stay rattle free on British roads?

Face it though, the Continental tyres are rubbish for stopping! Though the steering feel is a big surprise for what puts itself about as a utility vehicle :thumbsup: ,the ABS can be felt often when just pottering up to giveway signs in town over wet manhole covers :huh: Will be switching them for some Michelins, the same trick worked on the VW I had before, though Michelin had an embaressing advertising campaign which relied on their brand, so I tried Vredsteins which were almost as good and quite a bit cheaper, but now they have dropped the advert, think I'll pay the extra :lol: I can be wacko too :lol:

So if anyone knows where I can find some black Speedline 14" or maybe OZ racing with the right offset, not sure on rim width' guess 5"max, comparing it to a Renault 5 I learnt in with 195/55h13 on 5.5x13 and no ABS, that had its moments in the wet :ffs: :lol: and the dashboard rattles after 60k ! :!Removed!:

Someone from Holland sended me a test of the Peugeot 107 on Conti's where was said that the car handled much better and passed much faster the "elan" test on Michelins.

All C1 are originaly on Michelins. A bit more expensive, but all the Michelin tyres I used lasted much longer than other tyres ( Firestone, Pirelli, Dunlop)

So I ordered my C1 with 165/60-R14 Michelin tyres. Extra cost: 1 euro/tyre!

You wonder why they do not put 165 tyres on the cars... 5x1=5 euro/car..., and as they produce 100 000 C1/year that's half a million euro...

To give an example:

BF Goodrich mounts the World Rallye Champion cars with the following tyres:

Tarmac dry: 225/40-R18

Tarmac wet: 215/45-R18

Earth and Mud: 195/70-R15

Snow & Ice: 145/80-R16

These cars are 1230kg and have about 315HP...

Alloy wheels..., why? Because they weight less, so the suspension fonctions with less inert weight, which gives better roadability and performance.

But lots of alloy wheels that you find on the market, have even more weight than the steel wheels..., so they are only for the eye..., but they lower your perfs in all cases. As they are larger, they have more surface = less aerodynamism = more fuel = less acceleration.

So again and again, I cannot say it enough..., take care when you mount big wheels and large tyres, your car will be more delicate to handle on wet, mudy and snowy conditions.

Alloy wheels..., why? Because they weight less, so the suspension fonctions with less inert weight, which gives better roadability and performance.

But lots of alloy wheels that you find on the market, have even more weight than the steel wheels..., so they are only for the eye..., but they lower your perfs in all cases. As they are larger, they have more surface = less aerodynamism = more fuel = less acceleration.

So again and again, I cannot say it enough..., take care when you mount big wheels and large tyres, your car will be more delicate to handle on wet, mudy and snowy conditions.

To give an example:

Hi Chaliel,

Thanks for all your postings, I really do appreciate that. :thumbsup:

All the negative aspects of wider tires you mentionned, I am aware of it. . . but still, I like the wider ones for the looks! I just wondered how much handling on wet, mud and snow and average fuel consumption are affected? I am not so worried about the acceleration nor the top-speed as acceleration is mainly dictated by the mass of the car and available tire/road friction and top speed is prohibited over here (120kph = max).

Does anyone have experience with the deterioration of handling after mounting wider wheels/tires?

Most frightning would be if aquaplaning becomes dominant :!Removed!: . On the other hand, some improvement may be expected on dry roads as tire side wall flexibilty will be less ( stiffer ). :rolleyes:

I already had my doubts when ordering the car with the alloys, but you make me even more hesitating, I'll let you know what I will decide finally, maybe I will opt for the original wheels as well, but with winter tires mounted ( the best of two worlds and spare the alloys for the salt and dirt of the winter roads)

Cheer and btw magnificent pics that you've posted!

Djoezz

Hi Djoezz

You are absoluteley right about aquaplaning.

Larger tyres is more surface, so more like a "water-ski".

This is what you can read about the C1 on the Musketier site, a German Citroen tuner

For tyres

185/55-R14

195/45-R15

195/40-R16

You have to transform your wheel housing and to mount a wheel lying limiter (stuuruitslagbegrenzer), otherwise the tyres will touch the wheelhousing.

Be aware of this, cause in case of an accident the Assurence Company can refuse to pay if your car is not conform homologation.

As Holland has rather wet conditions during spring, autumn and winter, take care of this.

A agree about the look..., but I do prefer roadability.

hartelijke groeten.

Musketier, the German Citroen tuner says for the C1=Aygo=P107:

For tyres

185/55-R14

195/45-R15

195/40-R16

You have to transform your wheel housing and to mount a wheel lying limiter, otherwise the tyres will touch the wheelhousing.

Be aware of this, cause in case of an accident the Assurence Company can refuse to pay if your car is not conform homologation.

Hi Chaliel,

Thanks for all your postings, I really do appreciate that. :thumbsup:

All the negative aspects of wider tires you mentionned, I am aware of it. . . but still, I like the wider ones for the looks! I just wondered how much handling on wet, mud and snow and average fuel consumption are affected? I am not so worried about the acceleration nor the top-speed as acceleration is mainly dictated by the mass of the car and available tire/road friction and top speed is prohibited over here (120kph = max).

Does anyone have experience with the deterioration of handling after mounting wider wheels/tires?

Most frightning would be if aquaplaning becomes dominant :!Removed!: . On the other hand, some improvement may be expected on dry roads as tire side wall flexibilty will be less ( stiffer ). :rolleyes:

I already had my doubts when ordering the car with the alloys, but you make me even more hesitating, I'll let you know what I will decide finally, maybe I will opt for the original wheels as well, but with winter tires mounted ( the best of two worlds and spare the alloys for the salt and dirt of the winter roads)

Cheer and btw magnificent pics that you've posted!

Djoezz

I don't think Chaliel will be upgrading to bigger wheels any time soon! If they are so bad how come sports cars of a similar weight such as Lotus Elise's run with wide rubber and no trouble at all?

I took the first opportunity i could to get away from the experience of the high profiled standard tyres. That picture of the C1 cornering is a horendously unstable characteristic that was most uncomfortable. Yes there are trade offs of swapping to a wider tyre. Mine is fitted with 195/45 R15 and as a result i have not seen 50mpg since fitting, (heavy right foot :unsure: ) however despite a very slight tendency to have less traction when pulling away in the wet, the car performs remarkably well in both the wet and the dry. It will travel happily at 120kph in the wet on the motoway with no feeling of instability or hint of aquaplaning.

I am enjoying the drive to work so much more now the only drawback is i tend to slide off the seat when going a round quick corners. Trying to find a more supportive seat that fits may be a little tricky though.

I have not tested it to it's limits yet but i am doing a track day in the little 107 in March so i will let you know how that goes. My Father however, on quiet roads had it buzzing through corners very quickly so first signs are promising. If he enjoyed driving it despite nomally driving an Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster then it can't be bad at all.

I am having a few more goodies fitted today so i will post some new pics in the near future

Pug Bug

Comparing a Lotus sportscar to an Aygo...

I'm not trying to convince you of what ever, I only give some facts that every technicien will confirm.

You can do with it what you want.

Go and talk with some Rallyeman. Take a look at the Citroën C1 Cup racer in Italie..., it's on 14 inch wheels.

Tyres are as everything a kind of compromise thing, so the only thing I say is that wheels and tyres have a fonction, are are not only put there to look good.

If you have your car to frime in the city, go ahead and mount 195/40-R16.

If you can aford to have different wheels and tyres, go ahead and put the 195/40-R16 when the sun is shining, and mount some 165/60-R14 ones in wet conditions.

you are right about the original 155/65-R14 tyres, they are more a choise to reduce production costs.

So I took mine with 165/60-R14 Michelins. Perhaps you do not like the look, but at least it's a good compromise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links