Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The New Mot Cert

GT4 BOOSTER

views on the new mot cert . apart from being a4 size , i think its rubbish , its like replacing the £1 note with a coin , so the poll will be limited i guess. :lol:

only got my MOT before xmas and I'd got a small <ahem> one .. must be a 2006 thing ..

it puts an end to £50 blaggers , as the cert is printed to the station via mars or swansea or wherever - testing stations no longer carry the cert nor stamp it. thats all good , but i still hate the a4 format

I think the point is that they are now on a database as they are renewed so the specs cameras (or whatever they are called) can detect whether your vehicle has a current m.o.t..

They also have a bar code for authentication and as said a peel off reminder to put on your windscreen. (good for me as i always forget)

only got my MOT before xmas and I'd got a small <ahem> one .. must be a 2006 thing ..

No.. not a 2006 thing... depends when your MOT station gets it :P as I took the '2 in for her MOT at end of November and I got a crappy A4 one

B)-->

QUOTE(Gareth B @ Jan 16 2006, 06:34 PM)

I think the point is that they are now on a database as they are renewed so the specs cameras (or whatever they are called) can detect whether your vehicle has a current m.o.t..

They also have a bar code for authentication and as said a peel off reminder to put on your windscreen. (good for me as i always forget)

Yeah I like the fact its on the database etc... but why oh why does it have to be A4?? It sucks.. the little one was far better... cant they combine the two? Have a small one that all info goes on database??

MOT whats that :o

Need to book mine in tomorrow... I have a gorifficly bodged fog light on now :D

looks cheap and nasty

which is something the mot certainly aint :ffs:

mines goin in this week

&#33;Removed&#33; emissions test

MAKE SURE ITS RED HOT WHEN YOU GET THERE - helps the lambda test , if you didnt know already . :thumbsup:

also a big tail pipe can/will bypass some fumes to gain a pass. thats on the car of course

The size of the new MOT cert is way to big..... but on the plus side, it means I won't have to queue at the post office to get my tax disk.... I can do it online instead :yes:

I find folding big bits of paper in half makes them a much nicer size

Tot Tip Boro!

Still think the new one stinks though. Will need to ensure the miles declared to the old insurance company actually matches up at the end of the year :wacko:

also a big tail pipe can/will bypass some fumes to gain a pass. thats on the car of course

sorted! :lol:

Picture004.jpg

I've heard with these new fangled MOT's you can check the authenticity online, so if you come to buy a car, all you have to do is stick the serial number in and it will tell you if your certificate is legit! Also means you can buy your tax online as mentioned above, so that you don't have to queue with the pensioners and such!!!

Bonus in my opinion... :thumbsup:

Hopefull get mine booked in today..... unfortunately the phone line is jammed.... :(

I'll take the silence bung out of the exhaust... and got for a raz before hand..

I just hope the resultant hotter and therefore thinner oil doesn;t throw any reading by seeping through the totally shot stem seals :(

I dont think they're too bad, the bigger they are, the harder they'll be to lose in theory.

No.. not a 2006 thing... depends when your MOT station gets it :P as I took the '2 in for her MOT at end of November and I got a crappy A4 one

Yeah, me too

Just out of interest, how many MOT-free years do you get with a new car these days in the UK?

Over here it's the 3rd year, 5th year and annually thereon.

Little story: I bought a new car in 2000 when the EU plates came out. The dealer said I would have the new plates but the car wasn't delivered as such. So, he pays to have the new plates made, which are ordered from the MOT station. It took me a year to realize why I could never remember my registration. Due to bad form filling by the MOT people, the numbers on the new plate and my car's documentation didn't tally. I would have been badly busted if I got pulled over. But they did give me some free 'MOT work person's' shirts by way of apology and to keep it hush hush, and naturally they got me a new plate straight away!

My mechanic was telling me that now it's all computerised there is no free retests - is that true?

I believe so, for everything except lights and tyres. Some places are getting round this by doing all the MOT checks before entering anything on the computer. If it's going to pass they enter it on the computer, redo the emissions and everything is sorted. If it's going to fail, they can let you know before the DVLA have charged them for anything so can provide a cheap / free 'retest' of sorts.

Theiving *****s......

If I have to pay for two tests... I won't be able to afford tax :(

Its booked on for later today so hopefully I'll be able to comment on how **** the new bits of paper are....

I am seriously stressing on this..... My car is meticulously maintained.... but it will probably fail on some **** thing thats nothing to do with safely like being "too loud"

The car is K plate... but I have found the manuafacture date to be 7 moths before cars had to have cats.....

They said thats not a problem but who is willing to put a wager on them changing their mind????

It is a bit of pain, as said above most MOT places will do all the manual checks first and fix anything then stick it on for the computerised checks but as far as I'm aware they're supposed to have just about everything else linked directly in.

Like the emissions test result goes back to them, and the brake testing equipment is supposed to be linked. The Tester just has to operate the machinary and the computer at swansea works out if it passes or fails.

Dodgy MOT stations can still operate though. All they need is there "testing vehicle" which they know will pass, then they input your reg details etc then put there vehicle through the tests

i had my corsa retested yesterday , failed on the exhaust leaking and headlight aim, guy tested the emmisions after i got a new exhaust fitted and got me my cert , no charge.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links