Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taps

CAMSHAFT

Taps  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which side is your Hot Tap on

• The Right
    • The Left

I was doing a bit of DIY at home over the Last few weeks and i had a Plummer in to re-plum the bathroom, now i know the fella and i know he is no Cowboy. what he did was fit the Hot Tap on the Right and the Cold on the Left, but all the other Taps in the House are the Other way round. after chatting for awhile he said that the rest of mind where wrong but after having a look at other peoples Taps ive noticed that most of them have there Taps like i have, as in Hot Tap on the Left. so i was wondering is there are right or wrong and what way are yours.

Building regs state that hot has to be on the left.

It has been a recommendation since 1989 in : EN 200 : 1989 ref. 5.2

but I'm 99% sure when we did our en-suite the building inspector insisted that the Hot Tap had to be on the left and that hot pipes should run on the left.

It's so that when a blind person uses your tap they don't scald themsleves etc.

Every hot tap in our house is on the right. But our house was built in the 60's.

Where's the 'in the middle' option? :help:

All mine are mixers -- up and down for amount, left and right for hot and cold plus safety button to avoid scalding. No more waiting for the hot to come and then getting burnt, one handed operation, can be flipped up with the back of the hand to avoid soiling the whole tap. Deffo the way to go.

Looks like this

Ours are on the left, i always thought it wasnt right to have them on the right but couldnt remember why! :blink: :)

Every hot tap in our house is on the right. But our house was built in the 60's.

Catches me out all the time! I still end up brushing my teeth with luke warm water.... yuck :P :lol:

*as you may have guessed, my hot tap's on the left :thumbsup:

All mine are mixers -- up and down for amount, left and right for hot and cold plus safety button to avoid scalding. No more waiting for the hot to come and then getting burnt, one handed operation, can be flipped up with the back of the hand to avoid soiling the whole tap. Deffo the way to go.

Looks like this

Mine looks identical but it's still left for hot isn't it! :P

Mines defo on the left although a mates in an older house is on the right (also has french writing on the top to make it even more confusing unless you know french)

Get him back in and get them sorted at no extra charge with no cups of tea or !Removed! breaks. Also make sure he wasnt drunk or stoned at the time when he fitted them as that would explain alot

Looks like this

Mine looks identical but it's still left for hot isn't it! :P

Brilliant! You are the master of parallel thinking. OK, I'm just plain stupid.

Do your bathroom ones have a little shower hose coming from the base for botty washes? ooo errr... sounds a bit personal B)

Bit random in our house, kitchen is a mixer with hot on the right, bathroom baisin has hot on the left and bath has hot on the right (meant to fix that when I put new suite in but forgot... oops).

Oh and just to add to the confusion, the temperature of the hot water varies from stone cold to hot enough to sear flesh from your bones depending on what the boiler felt like doing that day.

As Above.... Cause I live there too lol....

Most odd.... mmmmm searing flesh shower!! :P lol

no - to the botty washes

wouldn't that make a mess on the floor?? Or do you have to sit in the sink??

do abeedays (cant spell you know the things you sit on to was ur botty are a barry white) have hot and cold taps. o that could be painful, but so funny :lol:

no - to the botty washes

do abeedays (cant spell you know the things you sit on to was ur botty are a barry white) have hot and cold taps. o that could be painful, but so funny :lol:

Do you mean a bidet?? Yes they have hot and cold, my parents house came with one, it's just got a standard mixer, but I think you are supposed to fill it up first like you do with the bath - so you test how hot it is - Only ever used it for cleaning dog **** off my shoe!

no - to the botty washes

Do you mean a bidet?? Yes they have hot and cold, my parents house came with one, it's just got a standard mixer, but I think you are supposed to fill it up first like you do with the bath - so you test how hot it is - Only ever used it for cleaning dog **** off my shoe!

yea thats it, i know of a funny story about one of them, a guy staying in his new girlfriends house for the first time, 3 bottles of wine, a bad curry, in a hurry in the dark and a Carina E key :lol::lol: but its just about fit for gold

no - to the botty washes

yea thats it, i know of a funny story about one of them, a guy staying in his new girlfriends house for the first time, 3 bottles of wine, a bad curry, in a hurry in the dark and a Carina E key :lol::lol: but its just about fit for gold

Go on then I'll wait to read it in Gold...

Have you told this plumber mate of yours that he's a fool yet?? :lol:

Go on then I'll wait to read it in Gold...

Have you told this plumber mate of yours that he's a fool yet?? :lol:

he doing the full job for a 24 bottles of Bulmers (its not Magners :ffs: ) and he is a friend, ill wait till he is finished. as for the other story i`d say ya can put the bits together yourself, the Carina Key should be the give away

Maybe I'm just being thick but I can but the first lot of bits together but I'm getting lost with the key :unsure:

he had to use the key to get poke down the evidence :!Removed!: :lol:

Ours are all on the left too, but the "H" and "C" have worn down, so I still occasionally end up with hot water on my toothbrush... not nice! :lol:

Building regs state that hot has to be on the left.

It has been a recommendation since 1989 in : EN 200 : 1989 ref. 5.2

but I'm 99% sure when we did our en-suite the building inspector insisted that the Hot Tap had to be on the left and that hot pipes should run on the left.

It's so that when a blind person uses your tap they don't scald themsleves etc.

this is true

I fit kitchens and out plumber and my boss said hot's on the left for the same reason as you

no - to the botty washes

Well, under the sink where at the base of the tap you normally see two pipes going in for hot and cold water, a third is there which goes out to a shower hose with a small shower head at the end that hangs on the wall by the toilet, i.e. you 'stay seated during the process'.

When you turn the tap on, water comes out as normal, but depress the button on the shower head and hey presto, the tap stops and the shower head starts (and stops when you let go). Easy to control (use your imagination), instant, no hassle and no need for a second white porcelain thing even if you had the space. It’s really convenient and women especially appreciate it for a couple of other reasons I won’t go into. After a decade with it, I’d feel dreadful without it I must say.

If you ever see this system, it's good to remember that the towel near the toilet is the botty towel -- use the one nearest the sink for you face!!