Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On The Oil Usage Issue

stublee

Just to give my take on the issue ....

Having viewed all the posts I've been keeping an eye on things as mine is supposedly a venerable model

2002 1.8 VVTI Before my last oil change it was using 1 litre of oil per 2500 miles . I got the garage to put a 10/40 semi syn. ( Mobil ) in on the change and checking recently have only used 1/2 litre in 2000 miles .... only half as much as before ! The car has 87 000 miles on the clock . Given that the VVTI engine uses a bit more oil than most I find this quite acceptable :-) So guys worth a try eh .... might work for some .

It would be interesting to get some sort of average in the group for oil consumption relative to mileage on clock etc. especially as handbook states max of 1 litre per 1000 km !!

I do however get the oil changed regularly at 8000 miles.

My 1.4 vvti corolla started to burn oil at 25k around 1-2 litres per 1000 miles by 50k it was using upto 4-5 litres of oil per 1000 -1500 miles. That was a y plate 2001 model. That was using magntec 10-w40 oil. The engine was replaced at the 50k service. Its ok toyota saying that 1000 miles per litre is the norm but for a engine to be changed it needs to burn a litre per 600 miles.

2002 Avensis 1.8 vvti 20k miles. Zero oil consumption using Chevron 0/40 fully synthetic. Fingers and everything else well and truly crossed!