Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick Yts Advice

Surinder

hi..

Been driving my wifes 1.0 corsa for the last two weeks. Under normal conditions this would have been a very painfull experience, but it has been two weeks of rattle free driving :)

But, i have gone back to my YTS last few days and noticed two new problems,

the gears are very "sticky" and stiff to change, sometimes i can hear a clunk from the gear box when i change gears, especially from 1st to 2nd. And i can feel a clunk from the gear stick on evey gear change. I struggled a few times this morning to get the car into 2nd gear. Thinking back this used to happen when i first bought the car, the excuse the dealer gave me then was that its a new gearbox and needs running in a bit. (I'm no expert in cars so i just took his word for it). I guess i have got used to the problem over time.

Also there is a subtle whinning noise from the car when its in gear, which gets slightly louder as the revs go up. I don't think its the fan belt as its not loud or screeching. Again i mentioned this to the dealer when it was serviced in January this year, and they said they couldnt find anything.

I am guessing the gearbox is under warranty?

Any ideas as to whats wrong with car?

Was really looking forward to getting back into a proper car after driving a that thing around :(

TIA

Surinder...

I think if you doa search on the word 'whine' you should find some threads that describe the noise you are hearing. I don't have the problem so I didn't read how their problems were fixed.

My gearbox is fine. The gear changes are notchy but not sticky - there is a clunk but that's a mechanical type sound and is louder the quicker I change the gear. Moving the gearstick gently makes little noise.

I've noticed that the biting point is quite low on the clutch but that's good for quick changes. :eek:

i know what you mean about the box but it does work well. Just depends if we have the same type of problem. Well i don't think mines a problem. it changes gear nicely.

Hi sthandi

I think that it's quite normal with the yaris t sport. For some reason they are quite notchy. Try to change gear in difference ways mate. I find if you change gear swiftly that corrects the notchy feeling. In fact i remember are 1.0 litre cdx had the same problem and they told me that they are looking into the problem.

All i can say it the problem continues mate take it back to the dealer and start making a fuss about it mate. You are still in you rights about complaining about the gearbox mate.

jerry!!

hi..

Thanx for the advice guys, the cars booked in for next week.

Sounds like i might just have got used to the wussy corsa gearbox :)

Jerry, just out of curiosity have you told your insurance company about the window tints? just asked mine how much extra they would charge, an extra £75 !!!! conning :censor: :censor: :censor:

Surinder...

yea the gearbox on my 1.0 is quite notchy, and it does clunk into gear a little but I quite like that :D makes me feel like i'm driving something like the shelby gt500 from gone in 60 seconds... only, much, much slower :lol:

I'm sure you know m8 but the rougher you are with the gear changes the notchier it gets, I find its much better to do it smoothly

I do have a horribly awkward reverse gear selection too, rarely wants to let me put it in reverse

I will agree with Yarisboy.All the pedals,steering wheel and gearshift are stiff and they make you feel like you drive something wild which isnt and has a bloomy face :blink:

A solution is to spray motor oil W40 underneeth the shift.Tell your dealer to do it.

Treat your gear shift like you would Kylie Minogue....maybe bad example...she's pretty frisky.... anyway! Be gentle with it! if your heavy handy it will be clunky. Drill yourself into shifting with just two fingers, with no weight pressing down on the actualy shift. She'll respond very sweetly then.

Reverse is a pain the neck..cheap car though, there's no syncromesh in Reverse. Again don't force it...usualy shifting into second, then back to Reverse sorts it, and re-aligns the gears.

Vipes.

yea the gearbox on my 1.0 is quite notchy, and it does clunk into gear a little but I quite like that :D makes me feel like i'm driving something like the shelby gt500 from gone in 60 seconds... only, much, much slower :lol:

I do have a horribly awkward reverse gear selection too, rarely wants to let me put it in reverse

:thumbsup: Completely agree with you on all points!!

I've driven a Corsa and I much prefer the Yaris the changes can be awkward and first and reverse are a :censor: to get in sometimes but I love the notchy gear change, does feel sporty.

:)

Hi Surinder

Yes mate told my insurance about the window tints. Tesco are a really good insurance company. They didn't kick up a stink about having the window tinted. As i have had them done from the car was new. So I'm not really sure how much more I'm paying for them.

But when you have had them done for free from toyota who care's :yes:

P.S How's the 6x9 Speakers going in the rear mate :thumbsup:

jerry!!

thanks Viper, using just two fingers and limiting the amount of force i use makes a big differance. Much easier to quick shift the gears.

still let toyota take look at it though next week, hopefully they can stop the whining and rattles.

Jerry, 6x9's i wish :( every time i save unough dosh up summat happens, 1st time my computer bust so i had to get that fixed, this time i got pulled over by the cops on the way back from work. For no apparent reason, but according to them my rear tyres need changing and the front only have about another 500 miles left on them. Looking at getting a full set of Toyo 195*50 R15.

And to top it off my car insurance is up at the end of July.

Its our anniversary soon, i think i'll start dropping a few hints to the missus ;) ;) ;)

Still, important things first, the cheque for gold membership will be on its way next week, and depending on discount from fensport, 1 HKS Induction kit will be on its way to me shortky afterwards :) :) :)

Surinder..

I love the notchy gear change, does feel sporty

it does feel quite sporty for what it is lol!

where abouts in notts are u Jen, we could have a yaris meet, there's a growin number of yaris peeps on the forum now

Hi Surinder

I see that you are going to up grade on the tyre size. Hey that show improve on the cornering. It's a shame about the Speakers mate but if you make some supple hints you might very well get the 6x9's :thumbsup:

Will you be going to the jae meet? Hope to see you there mate.

jerry!!

I'm selling a sub, amp, 6x9's and all cabling if ur interested m8

I can't install it in the yaris cos its going back soon so there's little point, the gear is on eBay though now so if you're interested u'll have to pm me sharpish :)

hi..

yup, i'll be at Jae on the Sunday, YarisBoy.. thanks for the offer mate, but i know a guy who works for Panasonic and he owes me a few favours. Looking to buy all the toys in one go, head unit, front & door Speakers etc..

Surinder...

got my car back today,

they have done some work to the gearbox, tightened the gear stick gator, what ever that is :) seems to have made some differance, still notchy/sticky but doesnt get jammed between 1st and 2nd.

ALso tighten the canshaft cover as they think thats where the whining noise was coming from.

but best off all, it seems they have stopped all the rattles :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

for those with rattliing yaris's this is what they did..

* removed door panel and wrapped foam around door locking rod

* took dash board apart and placed foam insulation round the stereo area, tighten nuts and screws in that area

* tightend clasp on glove box

* placed foam under the A arm covers

Drove it around for about 3 miles, and not a single rattle from the car. Will need to wait and see if the rattling comes back after the foam has settled.

Surinder...

Hi surinder

Glad to here that toyota have finally sorted out your rattles and the gearbox. Hopefully that will be the end of all you rattles mate. Nice avatar picture mate (THE SCRATCH MASTER) :P :lol:

jerry!!