Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing The Stereo

Lounge Lizard

I've got an Estima Lucida 2.2 TD and when I bought it everything was fine except that it came with a crappy Jap stereo, which had the wrong radio frequencies. I've been making do for the last 6 months or so but I am thinking about changing it to something more up to date with the correct frequencies and a CD changer.

I've been a bit hesitant of going out and buying anything on the high street in case the wiring wasn't compatible and it wouldn't work. This is because I was told that the connectors etc were different. I don't know whether that is true or not.

Any advice or experiences or dispelling any myths on replacing stereos in any Jap imports (not necessarily a lucida) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

if you go for a popular brand of headset most of the companys do a connecter that will fit the jap cars,even if the one that comes with the headset dosen't fit there's usually a block connector that goes between the two :P

go to a shop or company that specialize in ice and im sure they'll be able to answer all you're questions :thumbsup:

if you go for a popular brand of headset most of the companys do a connecter that will fit the jap cars,even if the one that comes with the headset dosen't fit there's usually a block connector that goes between the two :P

go to a shop or company that specialize in ice and im sure they'll be able to answer all you're questions :thumbsup:

What is ice?

in car entertainment (i.c.e)

a shop that does car radios,amps,speakers,etc............. :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for the advice srd!

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem I had the original factory installed stereo and cd player. I bought a new JVC from Halfords and beinmg completely dumb, let them fit it. After an hour they managed to work out how to fit the unit but then took one look at the cables and stopped. The connectors are totally different. Then tried to rewire but determined that there is a current going to the Speakers so there is an Amplifier hidden somewhere in the car. My last option is an ISO convertor from eBay, or if anyone has a circuit diagram for the stereo ?

• 1 month later...
I have the same problem I had the original factory installed stereo and cd player. I bought a new JVC from Halfords and beinmg completely dumb, let them fit it. After an hour they managed to work out how to fit the unit but then took one look at the cables and stopped. The connectors are totally different. Then tried to rewire but determined that there is a current going to the speakers so there is an Amplifier hidden somewhere in the car. My last option is an ISO convertor from eBAY, or if anyone has a circuit diagram for the stereo ?

I did my own in the after trying the plugs that dont work from the stereo fitters. If you have a seperate amp ( underneath the drivers seat ) all I did was trace the speaker wires with the help of a volt meter and checked for continuety back to the wires in the radio opening. Not sure if that was clear or not.Anyway I'll try again. Take the trim off the front doors to expose the Speakers, take off the wires and test back to the radio position. Then repeat for the rear ones, it is a little long winded I know but it works fine now.