Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noisy Avensis

myfyr

I have a Toyota Avensis Hatchback 1.8GS VVTi.

When I reverse to the left on full lock and straighten up, the car makes a terrible metalllic groaning noise. It seems to come from the steering wheel, but I could be wrong.

I am told its common for Avensi. is anyone else aware of this problem. My local Toyota dealer seems unable to pinpoint the reason for this noise.

Thanks

i have an avensis 1.8 gs 2002 just been out to try it, no , no noise at all. but then i might just be lucky, do get a grind noise when the car comes to a stop though, just had new discs ect so it could be that i suppose

I have a 2001 model and have also noticed that, when on full lock there is a grating kind of noise. <_< I also remember the Carina E did this (94 and 97 models I once drove) , but I didn't hear it on my old (98)Corolla. I don't think it is a problem, but I am no expert.

Cheers.

Graham.

I just bought my Avensis. Only 14,000 miles. Everything seems perfect but sometimes when I reverse I get that noise. Doesn't need to be full lock but only seems to do it when reversing up slight incline & round a corner.

By the way, shouldn't the plural of Avensis be Avenses rather than Avansi?

I said Avensi not Avansi!

Avensi

Avensises

Avensissiseseseses

who knows!

:lol:

The noise is annoying, but other than that, the car is excellent.

Very poor for the first 5 weeks as it was in and out of a local dealer 5 times with various faults.

That was two years ago. Apart from this noise (GGGRRRRRRRROOOOOOOAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN, CCCRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKK), the car drives beautifully.

I sometimes get the noise going forwards. However, only happens when car is moving slowly or not moving at all. Maybe the steering wheel needs some WD40 put in somewhere!

It would be avensis for singular, and avensis' plural. Cause it ends in an S i think you just miss it out after the apostrophe. :wacko:

Anyway, I don't have any real horrible noises on mine like that. Just a whining power steering pump like on most of them. It only whines when worked hard though... a bit like me really!! :D

I sometimes get the noise going forwards. However, only happens when car is moving slowly or not moving at all. Maybe the steering wheel needs some WD40 put in somewhere!

Does it also happen when the steering wheel is not on full lock? When you say slowly do you mean you are using both the clutch and the gas pedal to control the cars movement? In this case it's probably the clutch. Happened to me 10 months ago and I thought it was the steering wheel but the mechanic told me all Avensis models have kind of "sensitive" clutches. At first he replaced it with one made in Germany but the noise persisted :blink: Then he used one made in Japan and everything was fine. No noise since then :thumbsup:

Don't knpw if that helps myfyr but it sounds like that could be what's causing it on mine. I'll try reversing with and without slipping clutch tomorow and post my findings!

Dan.

Check lower suspension arms,just knackered mine on the offside and sounds a bit simillar to what you are describing.

Another common crunching noise on front drive cars, especially when on left or right lock is a universal joint on one of the driveshafts. Check the rubber gaitors that protect them, if one is split all the water and salt will have got in. Ouch!

:thumbsup:

Yep Ive experienced this noise, only happens once in blue moon, When reversing out of my mates drive!!!!!! Plural of Avensis is ----- ARMY! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Problem finally solved, since the car did the noise whilst in for a service, so a Toyota dealer was able to witness the problem. It normally refuses to do it when a dealer looks at it!

Anyway, the dealer said that he oiled the "steering bush" at the base of the steering wheel and that seems to have solved the problem. Just as well, with only 1 month left of the 3 year warranty.

If this problem is finally sorted, I'll keep the car as mileage is under 30,000.

If it recurs out of warranty, I'll just trade it in. But probably not for another Avensis. Maybe a Corolla T-Sport!

Myfyr

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE:

Problem finally solved, since the car did the noise whilst in for a service, so a Toyota dealer was able to witness the problem. It normally refuses to do it when a dealer looks at it!

Anyway, the dealer said that he oiled the "steering bush" at the base of the steering wheel and that seems to have solved the problem. Just as well, with only 1 month left of the 3 year warranty.

If this problem is finally sorted, I'll keep the car as mileage is under 30,000.

If it recurs out of warranty, I'll just trade it in. But probably not for another Avensis. Maybe a Corolla T-Sport!

Myfyr

Update 2

Problem has returned. Now going in next week to have the whole steering rack replaced (as advised to dealer by Toyota UK). Just before the warranty expires, which is nice. Dread to think how much that would have cost otherwise. A few hundred at least!!

Let's hope that fixes the problem. It's been a problem for the 2 years I have owned this car. The noise is so loud sometimes, it's embarrassing.

I have a 1997 Avensis and it has had a noise from the

transmission for the last two years. It occurs when the

car moves from stationary and lasts for approx 5 secs.

My local dealer has diagnosed this as 'clutch howl.'

I have never heard of this before and it sounds like the

car does indeed have a box of nails under the bonnet.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or gremlin?

Martin Watts.

yes the avensis does suffer from clutch howl as your dealer put it. I work for (if i can put this without some one doin my car over) sussex police(i'm not a copper I a senior motor vehicle technician)and we ran a fleet of Avensisisisis and they all suffered from it didn't put me off buying one though. The only way to solve it was to replace the clutch.

As for a price of a steering rack its a bit more than a few hundred quid I belive they are in the region of 900 quid(did a few of them to)

As for a price of a steering rack its a bit more than a few hundred quid I belive they are in the region of 900 quid(did a few of them to)

+ labour at a main dealer ='s £1200 before vat :(

Same part for a replacement at a non-toyota dealer £370+£135 fitting.

cowli_pd do you do the mods to police cars and do you go out on the police checks to check out modded vehicles?

yes sorry that 900 quid was just the rack alone you will have labour on top :(

all our cars are pretty standard the suspension is normally heavy duty to take the wait of the kit they put in the boot and the alternator is bigger for all the extra lights and stuff and of course no sun roof (its very difficult to drill a hole in a glass sunroof to bolt the light bar on)

no we dont go out with the coppers at all we are just support staff :thumbsup:

all our cars are pretty standard the suspension is normally heavy duty to take the wait of the kit they put in the boot and the alternator is bigger for all the extra lights and stuff and of course no sun roof (its very difficult to drill a hole in a glass sunroof to bolt the light bar on)

no we dont go out with the coppers at all we are just support staff :thumbsup:

Senior motor vehicle technicians go out on stops round here, i don't have any problem with that as everything is declared on mine and those guy's really know there stuff :thumbsup:

When you say you uprate the suspension and alternator on a avensis what brand names are you using for parts as i'm a bit curious.

all the bits are Toyota parts we don't fit any non genuine parts and having never replaced any shocks etc on our toyotas not to sure about the spec of them i just know when we take all the **** out the boot they sit a lot higher than mine

As for the alternator they're just a higher amperage again toyota parts

sorry can't be any more help than that :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

I have the "X" reg 2.0 vvti, this does exactly what you describe, I have reported it on the last two services and it about to go in for its next. doesn't seem to cause any problems but it IS iritating. At the last service they also replaced the steering rack, (as this was a known problem) but with no sucess in fixing the problem.

This time when I mentioned it to them, they agreed that it was a known problem, but that there was no cure and no date for a fix from Toyota.

Not surprisingly I have just phoned Toyota direct to report this and to try to find out if they know what it is. They are talking to the dealer and will get back to me.

I'll keep you updated.

Alan

Latest just in. Just spoken to Romford Toyota they say that there IS a known fault with the steering rack, and Toyota engineering are "in the process of designing a replacement part". Mind you its taken them 3 years, and I would guess 100s of replacements have been fitted that haven't fixed the problem. I have asked and they have agree to provide me with a letter from their management to confirm that this is a defect, and that I will be contacted as soon as the part is released, which will then be fitted under warantee. I will not hold my breath, but if this does happen I guess that they are acting in good faith.

Cheers

Alan

hi all i also have been intuch with toyota head office and was told the same as

Mataroscuda! they said the more people that report it the sooner toyota will europe will be informed!

so get callin ppl

01737 367 600

cheers

neil....