Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux...started Doing Some Modifications

Monster-Mat

Well i knew it wouldnt be long......

and it wasnt

it all started when i needed to repair the heater matrix...which still is knackered...

firstly i got a Double din radio.......sony wx-c570r, tis the one fitted OEM by toyota to Avensis etc etc, i got it from a landcruiser

med_gallery_1290_235_206112.jpg

i want to replace some of the dash panels, as whoever had it before hacked it up to fit a single din...and basically looks like they attacked it with a hatchet

then realising that with a decent headunit...you need decent Speakers, so have fitted 4 new Alpine Speakers and done the wireing...the sound....is Awsome :yes:

then...remebering that the lights were crap, i ordered the Crystal lite Headlamps....and matching indicator lenses

they make the front look far more modern..

med_gallery_1290_235_94771.jpg

and there bright......and i havnt fitted the headlight loom upgrade yet!!

med_gallery_1290_235_83844.jpg

and for some reason.......i wanted to change the steering wheel :wacko:

med_gallery_1290_235_170138.jpg

im just working out how to get some bits from the US, theres a company there that has some bits i want...but wont post outside the US...i may have sorted something, so over the next couple of months i will be ordering.

a new front chrome bumper from Toyota, and to match.....

a chrome Lower Valance

3422C.JPG

and the matching chrome end caps....

and a set of Mickey Thompson Classic II

MICKEYTHOMPSONCLASSICII.jpg

then ill start looking at getting it ready for a repaint...im gonna stick with the colour it is... B)

i am having a nightmare trying to find some arch flares though

I told you it wouldnt be long before you modded yours :D

I looking forward to seeing it finished and thats a right move with the chrome wheels and grill and then all you need is a chrome set of full bull bars and that will look awsome.

:thumbsup:

Nice look!

They have arch flares on supertrux.com, have you seen them? They are in the UK too but certainly not cheap.

I am considering some of the fibreglass panels for my Hilux, basically the whole side of the vehicle. Would you consider these if you are looking at a respray? I have not read/heard of anyone who has fitted them to their truck. Your bodywork looks to be in top condition though so maybe not worth it.

Nice look!

They have arch flares on supertrux.com, have you seen them? They are in the UK too but certainly not cheap.

I am considering some of the fibreglass panels for my Hilux, basically the whole side of the vehicle. Would you consider these if you are looking at a respray? I have not read/heard of anyone who has fitted them to their truck. Your bodywork looks to be in top condition though so maybe not worth it.

hi ive seen the arches on supertrux, what are these complete panels your on about, my problem seems to be that because its a double cab, arches are almost impossible to find....

The Truck is in Ok nick

med_gallery_1290_235_262024.jpg

there are 2 sets of arches ive seen.....

these in Japan, but dont know what make

gallery_1290_235_6634.jpg

or these ones, i think in Australia, again i dont know what make

gallery_1290_235_35385.jpg

someone suggested trying gen 2 surf ones, or at least checking them out for size, on the front wouldnt be a problem, its just where the split is on the bed

Your truck looks great. These are the panels I am on about: http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=11&cid=86

Looks like they don't do them for the mk3 machine though. I have a mk2 single cab.

I guess you could try those rubber arch extensions that fit pretty much anything. What tyres are you going to put on the Mickey Thompson's?

Your truck looks great. These are the panels I am on about: http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=11&cid=86

Looks like they don't do them for the mk3 machine though. I have a mk2 single cab.

I guess you could try those rubber arch extensions that fit pretty much anything. What tyres are you going to put on the Mickey Thompson's?

not sure on tyres yet...im trying to work out if thei one has been lifted, there is a guy near me with a single cab pickup, and his doesnt look as high.....

i think i will do a suspension lift so i can fit bigger tyres, idealy id like the get the 15 x 10 MT wheels, the ones fitted are 16"

im running 15" rims on mine with a 10.5x31x15 but with the body lift im looking at getting some 10.5x32x15 on there and they are fairly cheap at £55 a tyre.

Another alternative to a 2" suspension lift you could do a 2" body lift thats if you only want to get some more space to fit larger tyres

not understanding..the funny tire sizes there..lol

so if i was to get a 10x 15 would that say fit under the std widebody surf arches, i have found some universal flares ...as a stop gap which come out from the pickups arches by 2"

im actually thinking of trying a rear set of new Hilux picup arches for the double cab and using surf front arches

just need to speak with someone in Toyota to see if they will order them for me to try :rolleyes:

10.5x32x15

im taking a guess here..

15, obviously the rim size in diameter

10.5 again in inch, the tread width?

32 sidewall in cm..?

Hope you can work something out. I am running 15" rims too, tyres are 33x12.5x15 and I have a 3" suspension lift. On my tyres at least, the numbers mean 33" total diameter, 12.5" tread width and 15" rim diameter.

71376596.jpg

LongRat

yeah will possibly do the body lift first....then the suspension lift, im not sure though if mine has had some lift somewhere as it sits higher than a persons down the road

On my tyres at least, the numbers mean 33" total diameter, 12.5" tread width and 15" rim diameter.

LongRat

ah so i was close :)

I want to do a 2" suspension lift on mine but the only problem is if i do it i'll never get in car parks :crybaby:

FAO longrat whats the lift you have done on yours?

yeah will possibly do the body lift first....then the suspension lift, im not sure though if mine has had some lift somewhere as it sits higher than a persons down the road

On my tyres at least, the numbers mean 33" total diameter, 12.5" tread width and 15" rim diameter.

LongRat

ah so i was close :)

these are the only universal ones i seem to be able to find at the moment......typical, as last night i found a few universal types :wacko:

Flexi Flare

I want to do a 2" suspension lift on mine but the only problem is if i go it i'll never get in car parks :crybaby:

FAO longrat whats the lift you have done on yours?

so this may sound a stupid question, what size tyres would i fit to a 10x16 rim...i dont want huge mud plugging tyres, like this......

562.jpg

just something with a reasonable sidewall like this...

t23.jpeg

some more lift kits from the USA weather they would be ok for your vehicle im not sure but it might be worth a look

http://www.airbagit-store.com/product.asp?...lt.asp&ID=79198

but what i have seen on there is they have adjsutable coil spings for mine which has got me thinking

Also some tyres for 4x4 vehicles to give you an idea

http://shop.formula4x4.com/shop/webstore/p...?category=4X4TY

I bought my truck already lifted. All I know is it is 3", shackles and I believe non-standard leaf springs but not sure. I use it as my everyday car, and you wouldn't want it any higher really. Shorter people require some effort to climb in, and NCP car parks are generally not accessible. The other down side is the tyres take for ever to pump up, even with a proper garage compressor. Well worth it though.

Are either of you guys with bigger tyres running some sort of speedo mod to get the correct MPH, or do you just do as I do and learn the right speeds, i.e 62mph on the dash=70mph on the road?

im not running oversize tyres yet but when i do i'll probably use my sat nav's speed indicator then look at the speedo and make a mental note what the speeds are with larger rubber

hmm its funny you say about yours being lifted when you got it.

if you compare the pic of mine with the other deep red/maroon one, the heights look very similer, that one has been lifted, but it doesnt say haow much, and when i look under mine, the shocks are all different.

thing is no one can say for definate, as theres no body lift blocks and the leaf springs..well look like springs look like ...lol

and even if you compare mine to yours longrat...we have a similer appearence, and as you say yours has been lifted 3"

i need to get along to one of these days where everyone meets up

maybe we should have a 4x4 meet....up an hill somewhere :thumbsup:

Good find there, seems expensive for what they do though. I am considering fitting a bicycle computer to mine, sounds strange I know but would give me trip meter, average speed, max speed and a lot more for almost nothing. Easy fit on the Hilux too.

Mat, One thing you could do is measure the length of you leaf spring support shackles and compare to a known unlifted double cab mk3. I understand some of the suspension lift kits are simply extended shackes only.

yep will have to do that...but i think i know why its sitting higher....look down to the second items

Moto-Rage

one of my springs had the reminants of a label on......they make 2" and 3" lifter springs

One modifacation i found useful if you raise the Hilux is a reversing camera which im in the process of fitting on mine

Also some other useful mods is twin batterys for running extra electrical stuff and if like mine the A/C is dead and the pump is still ok running on board air which i have seen a guide to doing on another website.

As for the Mat,s idea of a 4x4 meet id be up for that

Aha, lifting springs.

Reversing camera is a nice idea, you could always rely on the 'listen till you hear a crash' method as the first part the back end will hit is often someones windscreen :P j/k

Mat, I'm sure you have seen these, but just in case:

Arch extensions

yep, i went down to Rough Trax today actually, but when i got there it was closed.

as mine is a 1990, i honestly cant see there being massive differences on the panels, definatly not the rear bed, i know the front wings are different, saying that though i have seen earlier Hilux pickups with later front wings

so im planning on going to Rough Trax next weekend and hopefully trying a few options...

my hope is that i can find at least 3 inch flares :yes:

I will be stopping past there next Friday afternoon. A couple of weekends ago I also turned up on a Sat to find it shut! I would just like to check out what they have there, and maybe buy some panels and extra lights.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links