Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suspension Shocks - What To Do?

adamgt

Hi everyone

After just having my lowering springd fitted (as you have prob seen from other post) i am thinking about changing the shocks. My front left shock i leeking and i think the car is slightly lower on that corner.

I have been testing the suspension flying round corners/islands. Its great except when i turn right and brake hard/go over a small bump and the front left wheel touches the arch. This doesnt happen on the other side. Therefore i think the shock needs replacing and i need to know what my options are.

A) could i replace the one front left shock with a new (standard) one and that will be the end of it, or will i need to change both of the front at the same time?

B ) What after market shocks are available? at what price? Can you get KYB shocks for the ST205.

Help much appreciated :yes:

Thanks

Adam

Yeah you can get KYB`s for the 205. Try fennies. :yes: You`ll be better off replacing both as the new one will make the other feel like your leaky one does now.... If you know what i mean. :rolleyes:

*edit* Just done a quick search...... Maybe not then. I thought you could. Forgot it was SS. :wacko:

Yeah you can get KYB`s for the 205. Try fennies.

Fennies expensive :crybaby: standard shock is £200

You`ll be better off replacing both as the new one will make the other feel like your leaky one does now.... If you know what i mean. :rolleyes:

Thats exactly what i was thinking!

just wondering if a decent 2nd hand replacement would do the job :unsure:

If you could get a low mileage pair, probably. Otherwise looks like hand deep in pocket time. :yes:

Buy shocks in pairs, never by itself! :) Try looking into a good pair of Koni perhaps, Koni yellows, might be a bit expensive but very worth it! :thumbsup: You can also look into Sachs or Gabriel...

Buy shocks in pairs, never by itself! :) Try looking into a good pair of Koni perhaps, Koni yellows, might be a bit expensive but very worth it! :thumbsup: You can also look into Sachs or Gabriel...

Only problem with koni's for 205 is that they are only inserts, you have to remove the old damper unit from the ss strut and then fit the koni one. I beleive that KYB do actually do a full strut replacement also TRD units are available from fennies, rummor has it the the TRD units are atually made by KYB give tony at fennies a call and see what they can do. What ever you choose if your upgrading it's gonna be expensive due to the superstrut setup. Only other opitions is new or good condition 2nd hand standard struts.

If your gonna look at going down the insert route like koni I would recommend getting in touch with SRB power as there currently bringing in some coilover kits from Japan fronts are inserts but rears are full units get damping and ride height adjustment all for £650 for all four corners, which is dam cheap for coilover setup, includes pilllowball adjustable camber topmounts.

Only problem with koni's for 205 is that they are only inserts, you have to remove the old damper unit from the ss strut and then fit the koni one. I beleive that KYB do actually do a full strut replacement also TRD units are available from fennies, rummor has it the the TRD units are atually made by KYB give tony at fennies a call and see what they can do. What ever you choose if your upgrading it's gonna be expensive due to the superstrut setup. Only other opitions is new or good condition 2nd hand standard struts.

If your gonna look at going down the insert route like koni I would recommend getting in touch with SRB power as there currently bringing in some coilover kits from Japan fronts are inserts but rears are full units get damping and ride height adjustment all for £650 for all four corners, which is dam cheap for coilover setup, includes pilllowball adjustable camber topmounts.

Yeah, your right about removing the old damper units. The KYB and TRD similarities are some what like Remus and TTE, right? The £650 for all four corners from Japan, especially that their adjustable are a very good price indeed! :thumbsup:

adam , mr.barry over at gt4oc is breaking a four soon, get in quick . he lives in wolverhampton, so not far from you.

jimjam is breaking a black st205 also.

Try www.buypartsby.com thats where I got my KYB's from, they were v.cheap!

They will make the ride very harsh if you are used to the plush standard springs/shocks. Be warned! But it now corners like nothing I have ever driven before, with zero body roll! I just wish I had brought the adjustable kybs (complete unit, not inserts) instead of the excel-g's, they only cost a bit more!. That'll teach me to be a cheap skate!

Many people have said that the standard shocks can cope fine with the lowering springs as long as they are in good condition, so i think i am going to get a brand new pair of standard shocks for the front.

Standard shocks went on mine pretty quickly but it had done about 80K miles! and it was not superstrut so they maybe able to cope quite well with the extra pressures involved with lowering. Good luck with whatever you choose.