Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Juddering - Disaster Or Paranoia?

riko666

As the topic states....is a juddering clutch a sign of disaster or is it just me being paranoid?? reason i ask is cause someone just told me it could be a sign of warped clutch plates...which would explain why the smell of clutch after each run was really filling my car at the trackday at Goodwood. If it is warped plates then I'm ****** cause I won't know where to get those changed and I have no money...but it is a good excuse to get an Exedy upgraded clutch and a lightweight flywheel...

if its just worn, well ill just bear it out until it gets worn to its limit, at which point ill get the new clutch / flywheel...

nah, it does it seldomly, when i ride the clutch a bit too much, like driving off from a gradient...i was driving at night and the engine was warm already, driving back from the petrol station. its only done it twice or so

hmmm, could be a ignition problem, sparkplugs, leads distributor ect.

could be fuelling even.

are they all up to scratch?

otherwise its most likely a problem with the clutch and really needs the box off to have a look.

doubt its fuelling as i can feel it through the clutch pedal, and ignition etc should be all upto scratch...ill be changing plugs and wires soon anyway, if it still does it then...

you will feel it through the clutch pedal if its misfiring because of ignition problems.

change plugs and leads and make sure the dizzy and rotor arm is ok. if it still does it then could well be the clutch.

has the fuel filter ever been changed?

i doubt its fuelling / ignition, cause when i accelerate its fine, no hesistation etc...as i said, the juddering was only when riding the clutch too long, when i was driving up a gradient. and the feel, well i mean you could tell its the clutch or something along those lines, hard to explain, not trying to discount what your saying!

not sure about fuel filter being changed or not - the previous owner worked at a garage and she regularly serviced the car, i presume fuel filter change would've figured up in 57000mi of use. and as said, this hasnt been a gradual thing, it started happening after the goodwood trackday a couple of days ago, and i was quite harsh on the clutch (i kept flooring the throttle and letting the clutch up too slowly when changing up)...

Sounds like an abused clutch to me. You may get away with relining the clutch plate, but you may need a full clutch. Take some driving lessons too.

haha, thanks for that andrew, i know how to drive....was just being to harsh on the clutch at goodwood. hmm, i need to get tuition on shifting properly at trackdays if anything...

my car had clutch judder for ages, and only really did it when it got hot. i got so annoyed with it, i changed it, and it still had another 10,000 miles left on it!! and it was the original clutch and i changed it at nearly 100,000 miles!

Rich.

ah thats fine then, ill just take it easy at silverstone, then when i get the student loan in ill get an exedy one and maybe even a lightened / stronger flywheel

at about 20mph, stick it into 4th /5th let the clutch off and put ur foot down on the accelerator, if it revs but doesnt accelerate, get the clutch changed, change the clutch before it completly goes as u could end up damaging ur gearbox aswell.

that would only show if you have a slipping clutch.

i have a judder in the mornings when pulling away on a slope near mine. when the car has been a mile or two its fine. never did it when i first got the car, i have a feeling its fouled up plugs. cant see it being the clutch, im never harsh to it at all.

well the clutch doesnt slip and as i said, the clutch is fine in normal driving...in the weekend ill probably try look into it more, like see when the judder comes in, what it feels like etc..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links