Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pressure Washing My Engine Bay!?!?

TOYMOTA

Is it a good or bad idea to pressure wash my engine/engine bay?? Any advice so as not to f$@& anything up??

I recall when I washed my 4A-GE in my Rolla I ended up filling the sparkplug area up with water. Needless to say it took me quite a while to dry it out and get it started again!!

I've been told that keeping the engine running can help... also covering up certain areas with plastic bags etc tied on with cable ties... to keep the majority of water off...

Best have a look at this link : Car Care Centre - Engine Detailing

Some good tips there :thumbsup:

Personally I'd avoid it.

Use some neat petrol and some old rags and a bit of elbow grease... clean the bits you can see...

Wouldn't want to risk introducing electrical faults.

Just my humble opinion though... :D

I used to work for a pressure cleaning / valeting company and did many an engine bay!

No matter how much you try and avoid getting water in the ignition components it nearly always happens, but a good run clears things out. We used to turn the temp up to 90-100 oC and practically steam the bays. Wrapping plastic bags around major electrical components is a good idea too.

Alex

Off to get it steam cleaned by a valeter 2moro lunch. Will be interesting to see how much difference it makes to the look of the engine bay

This is what it looks like now (apart from the dump valve I've now fitted):

DSC01505.jpg

Should I keep the engine running while he's doing the job??

Definitely not! On keeping the engine running. :o

Stem cleaners use high pressure water that can cut your hand if it comes into contact. So there could be a very slim chance that should the jet penetrate your inlet pipe it could hydraulic the engine (not a pretty site :help: )

As far as using petrol is concerned there is always a chance of pooling in inacessible places that could make themselves apparent when you fire up the engine (literally :shutit: ), Gunk is always an option as you can flush it away with water. :thumbsup:

I degreased the wifes a coupla weeks back - used the pressure washer to clean off the solvent. Not good - not good at all!

Got water in one of the plugs - took ages to sort it out.

Then after all that the cleaner made virtually no difference - hot soapy water and elbow grease - its the only way ...

As far as using petrol is concerned there is always a chance of pooling in inacessible places that could make themselves apparent when you fire up the engine (literally :!Removed!: ), Gunk is always an option as you can flush it away with water. :thumbsup:

Didn't mean to pour petrol onto the engine!... merely use it like you would use polish on a car. Dampen a rag with it... no chance of pooling then. You have no mess to clean down afterwards then... unlike Gunk. Tried it once on my old car, had to practically wash it off. Each to their own though..

:drool: That is gorgeous.... come do mine? LOL....

I plan on doing this when the nights get a bit lighter... or I actually have a weekend at home lol...

That looks stunning mate :thumbsup:

:drool: That is gorgeous.... come do mine? LOL....

I plan on doing this when the nights get a bit lighter... or I actually have a weekend at home lol...

That looks stunning mate :thumbsup:

Planned on doing mine last year aswell, but when the good wetaher came, i just drove around with my roof out, no one can see my engine then ! :thumbsup:

thats my excuse anyways ! :D

Off to get it steam cleaned by a valeter 2moro lunch. Will be interesting to see how much difference it makes to the look of the engine bay

DSC01505.jpg

Well did you get it done then....? Show us the results..

Rash.

No, I decided to go down the good old rags and elbow grease route. It's a work in progress. (I'll take a piccy of the work so far this evening if the light is okay!

Took off the I/C pipes and gave them a good rub down, but I think I'll give em a coat of some high temp paint this coming weekend. I also want to do the rocker/cam cover too. Any ideas on a suitable colour peeps??

Oh, and do I need to take off the trottle body to get the rocker/cam cover off?? I want to wire brush it and change the gasket at the same time! Also looking for a nice new shiny exhaust heatshield, but can't find one anywhere! any idea's??

Don't paint the IC pipes... they'll polish up lovely with a bit of work. Your choice obviously, but it'd loo knice if you want a shiny heat shield too.

Before I changed my IC and pipes that's what I did.

As far as the heat shield is concerned, you're probably better off getting a new one and getting it chrome plated. I'm pretty sure this is what Fensport do with theirs.

...and yes... I'd say the throttle body would have to come off to ease access.

I gave em a good rub down with degreaser, petrol and a stiff brush, then I used a drill with a wire brush attachment on them at the weekend and they're still black as in the piccy above. It's either gunna be a question of painting them or buying some after market ones.

The heat sheild from Mr T is, wait for it….. £142 + VAT!!!! :yes: Mr T told me to make one myself LOL!! :lol:

Guest rev3turbo

for the i/c pipes m8 they do come up like mirrors,

a little autosol, fine wirewool and some cloths to polish, does take a while but is sooooooooo worth it, you just need a lot of elbow grease n patience.

Mo.

DSC01505.jpg

Well did you get it done then....? Show us the results..

Rash.

Don't paint the IC pipes... they'll polish up lovely with a bit of work. Your choice obviously, but it'd loo knice if you want a shiny heat shield too.

Before I changed my IC and pipes that's what I did.

As far as the heat shield is concerned, you're probably better off getting a new one and getting it chrome plated. I'm pretty sure this is what Fensport do with theirs.

...and yes... I'd say the throttle body would have to come off to ease access.

Here's what she looks like now. A little better but not good enough yet!

DSC01551.jpg

As you can see, the pipe coming out of the I/C to the T/B is still pretty darn black!! I don't think any amount of rubbing is gunna sort that out!