Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Or Diesel

Adil

Petrol Or Diesel  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Petrol Or Diesel

• Diesel
    • Petrol

Which one do you have and do you love it or regret it. I have been hearing lots of problems with the petrol.

Which one do you have and do you love it or regret it. I have been hearing lots of problems with the petrol.

I have a 2003 Petrol 1.8vvti Tourer with 70k miles on the clock and have had no mechanical problems only the condensation in the headlamps. I recently had a Peugeot 407 2.0 diesel hire car and I must admit I do prefer the diesel for its motorway refinement. If I go for another Toyota I will probably get the 2.2 D4D 148BHP, not the petrol.

2.0litre petrol for me, mated to an auto on my T3-X is great. Kickdown is fast enough for me, and the sequential gearbox is great for holding revs if you want a spirited driving. And since the ECU change, low-down pick up is a lot better. And I understand the 2.0litre doesn't suffer the problems the 1.8 does.

Diesel.

I had a 2.0L petrol for two years and was never happy with it. To get performance you need to boot it up to 4k revs and that hammers the fuel consumption.

The 2.0 diesel isn't s quick from the lights but the torque is tremendous for A road overtaking and the fuel economy is still great.

Diesel 2.0L. Just as stated above, not as nippy off at the lights (especially just after a cold start) but lots of toquey overtaking goodness when needed. Well chuffed with it - and I've got the most basic model (Colour Collection). :thumbsup:

It would have to be diesel for me at the moment, although I think the petrol engines are great regardless of the oil issue. I do miss the revvy downchanges and engine braking you get from Toyota petrol engines plus screaming it through the gears which can be fun. But I am biased now because I have tuned mine moderately ( recently dyno tested at 158 bhp) with not much more than a £600 outlay, and it really gives great in gear acceleration coupled with 54mpg mixed. The old shape Avensis isn't a heavy car so I think it has a pretty good power to weight ratio especially when tuned up.

But I would never knock the petrol engines because I may easily buy another one day. :yes:

DIESEL

I have had my 2.0D4D T3X for just over two months and i was not sure how the diesel would fair as it is my

first diesel but having bought it i am very happy with the overall package and especially the average 52mpg.

:thumbsup:

I have a 2002 diesel Avensis GS. Starts first time every time. Reasonably quiet. Just under 50 mpg. Bags of power though needs revving just a bit more than you'd expect for a diesel. If you buy used, note that timing belt needs changing at 60,000 miles.

Petrol at the mo -- new 2.0 litre bought last May, now has around 9,000 miles clocked up. No probs but you'd expect that of any new car (but maybe not always get it!).

MPG never drops below 33 and it's not too challenging to get 38 provided it's not used as a shopping bag and school bus. Pulls nicely all round (good pick-up starts around 3,300 rpm) and requires litttle consideration since it's never lacking. Because the 2.0 litre has more strength behind it, it's also nicer to drive around town at low revs that the 1.8, especially when turning at low speed. I also prefer the firm and sedate feel hydraulic power steering, but I can see the combination of light electronic PAS and fuel economy certainly make the 1.8 tempting for drivers spending more time in town, and it's certainly sufficient.

Did wonder at the new diesel that just came out -- I'm sure that 170 hp chugs nicely around town at any rpm in addition to the fuel economy, quietness, longevity, pull, towing ability... But I have some concerns over particulate emissions. Is it really cleaner, this new diesel engine? Speaking of the environment, biodiesel sounds like a good way to go. That and cleaner emissions are tempting.

A question mark for me is that I remember some people complaining about the effect of the cold on diesel in the UK. Our winter diesel in Finland stores at around -30 and can be used at -34, but we do get these temperatures and this may be problematic (arctic diesel is good to -44, but not necessarily available nationwide). Until recently I wasn't aware of the cold being a problem to diesel so it's given me something to consider.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it's clean enough and manages the cold, the latest Toyota diesel may be the car of my modest dreams. Better get some miles out of this one first! And just think, one day the kids will leave home and I can have a car with light beige upholstery!

Petrol at the mo -- new 2.0 litre bought last May, now has around 9,000 miles clocked up. No probs but you'd expect that of any new car (but maybe not always get it!).

MPG never drops below 33 and it's not too challenging to get 38 provided it's not used as a shopping bag and school bus. Pulls nicely all round (good pick-up starts around 3,300 rpm) and requires litttle consideration since it's never lacking. Because the 2.0 litre has more strength behind it, it's also nicer to drive around town at low revs that the 1.8, especially when turning at low speed. I also prefer the firm and sedate feel hydraulic power steering, but I can see the combination of light electronic PAS and fuel economy certainly make the 1.8 tempting for drivers spending more time in town, and it's certainly sufficient.

Did wonder at the new diesel that just came out -- I'm sure that 170 hp chugs nicely around town at any rpm in addition to the fuel economy, quietness, longevity, pull, towing ability... But I have some concerns over particulate emissions. Is it really cleaner, this new diesel engine? Speaking of the environment, biodiesel sounds like a good way to go. That and cleaner emissions are tempting.

A question mark for me is that I remember some people complaining about the effect of the cold on diesel in the UK. Our winter diesel in Finland stores at around -30 and can be used at -34, but we do get these temperatures and this may be problematic (arctic diesel is good to -44, but not necessarily available nationwide). Until recently I wasn't aware of the cold being a problem to diesel so it's given me something to consider.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it's clean enough and manages the cold, the latest Toyota diesel may be the car of my modest dreams. Better get some miles out of this one first! And just think, one day the kids will leave home and I can have a car with light beige upholstery!

I dont think we have to worry about -34 in the UK, that is what I call super cold. If there is so much as 2 inches of snow here the place grinds to a standstill!

I heard some weather woman on the TV (probably in London) stating she couldnt see an end to the current cold spell (about -3C) that makes people in the North wet their pants with laughter, its positively mild at the moment, but -34, Wow some people really havent a clue what is cold in this country.

PETROL.

I think petrol is much better,because is with low emissions,quiet,faster,good acceleration from1100rpm to 7000rpm.,that's sporty :driving: ,you can't achieve it with diesel.,petrol doesn't sound like a tractor. :!Removed!:

What kind of additives do you guys have in the diesel to stop it turning to treacle in those temps. Is it mixed with some sort of alcohol at the refinery?

What kind of additives do you guys have in the diesel to stop it turning to treacle in those temps. Is it mixed with some sort of alcohol at the refinery?

Is it not something like kerosene you put in with the diesel? I may be wrong though.

How do petrol engines cope in -34? Do they work any better than a diesel?

I'm not sure of the diesel additive, will try to find out.

Fuel-wise, I've never heard of problems concerning petrol at that temperature. All cars have an engine block heater (an electric element in the oil sump) that warms the engine up for a couple of hours in advance of starting, and in exceptional cold you can mask the grill in front of the radiator -- either with cardboard and string or the manufacturer's own purpose-designed cover.

No probs so far. The other week at -28, the doors weren't too clangy (typically everything shrinks and metal parts have a tinny ring about them) and I've had a stiffer gear stick and hydraulic PAS before so not too bad there. The covers over the headlight washer jets seemed to take a while retracting, but that was about it -- which is why Toyota is the leader in Finland.

People did start complaining about their diesel fuel over here, which is why I started having second thoughts about whether it would be a better option.

It would have to be diesel for me at the moment, although I think the petrol engines are great regardless of the oil issue. I do miss the revvy downchanges and engine braking you get from Toyota petrol engines plus screaming it through the gears which can be fun. But I am biased now because I have tuned mine moderately ( recently dyno tested at 158 bhp) with not much more than a £600 outlay, and it really gives great in gear acceleration coupled with 54mpg mixed. The old shape Avensis isn't a heavy car so I think it has a pretty good power to weight ratio especially when tuned up.

But I would never knock the petrol engines because I may easily buy another one day. :yes:

FAT SLOB! Just wondering what you done to get those figures as am thinking of getting a powerbox of some discription.158bhp sounds like alot of fun at the traffic lights.

FAT SLOB! Just wondering what you done to get those figures as am thinking of getting a powerbox of some discription.158bhp sounds like alot of fun at the traffic lights

First I bought a high flow air filter, then a Tunit box, finally I uprated the intercooler. I was considering an ECU remap, but decided financially the box was a better bet, as I could put it on my next car, px or sell it privately plus the guarantee and after sales service have been very good. I had to go back to the Tunit guys a lot of times to have the box laptop tuned on their rolling road to get it perfect for me.

It is interesting at the lights, although I dont get any torque steer I do get traction problems, wheel spinning in 1, 2 and 3rd is common under hard acceleration, so a delicate right foot is usually in order. The biggest improvement is mid range where it absolutely charges forward relentlessly. I'm not really the sort of person who races everywhere, but the performance is so smooth and effortless now I have to keep checking my speed, and 70mph onwards the power seems almost endless, and on top of that my fuel consumption is at least 7mpg more than Toyota specify.

My car is the previous Avensis D-4D and I'm absolutely delighted with it now, effortless grunt when I need it but most of the time I just cruise about because I find it really relaxing to drive.

Have been through all 3 models in petrol mode. First one with leanburn engine was faultless so went to facelift model with VVT-i which burned oil and had noisy steering. Stayed for new avensis and glad I did as so far 12 months driving with no hassle. Only crib is that VVT-i only comes alive at around 4000rpm. Have no experience with diesels, annual milage doesn't warrant one.

Im not sure,

I like the Petrol engines for the responsiveness, also the vvti engines have a chain instead of a cambelt, which is a bit cheaper on the service front....

However I also like the diesel as you get such huge MPG out of it...

So a bit stuck really :!Removed!:

Diesel for me, Its my first one and I was very impressed, with MPG and mid range torque. I agree the power as standard is a bit lacking, but the torque more than makes up for it on the move. I'm not really a traffic light racer, but the extra ooomph when overtaking on motorways is really nice.

Diesel for me...got '02 d-4d. I do about 20k a year averaging 46+ to the gallon. I'm no boy racer but it don't half shift on the motorway, ain't no porsche beater by any means but it beats my wifes honda civic hands down and its comfy too!

Diesel for me too.

I'm only four weeks driving a 2.0D4D T3-X and drive 20-25k per year but can compare it to previous petrol engines driven and to the latest Ford/Peugeot 2.0TDCI - the Toyota is smoother and much more flexible - as other posters say, the 2.0 needs keeping in the rev range to max power but it's a much more usable unit than the Ford - that needed numerous software updates to get it anything like driveable... and I'm getting 57 on motorway runs, 49-50 on mixed driving week at a time....hugely impressed.,... and far more than the Ford....which has lots of engine problems too...mine broke down four times in a year - got to know the RAC very well, and their tolerant smile when they saw what I was driving!

I too like the petrol engine characteristics but the low end torque and mpg sways it for me - and I've a D-Cat which is meant to be cleaner I think.

In future, I'd think about the 2.2 D4D units too - look very impressive.

Coming new to Toyota myself (had a Yaris in the family already) I'd have any Avensis compared to the stuff I've been driving (or waiting in garages for) in the last few years.

Petrol for me the 1.8 plods along happly and can have a good turn of pace. Mpg anythin from 33-45. Most of the time i'm getting in excess of the 40mpg mark.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links