Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3rd Gear Crunching (sometimes)

nrgizerbunny

Hi all, did anyone have any trouble with their 3rd gear when the car was relatively new.

I have just bought a brand new T sport and the gearbox has a tendency to crunch in 3rd but only when shifting up from second to third (not down from 4th to 3rd).

I am hoping its just because the car has done so few miles (150) but none of the other gears seem to have this problem, which makes me think it might be the synchromesh?

Hi all, did anyone have any trouble with their 3rd gear when the car was relatively new.

I have just bought a brand new T sport and the gearbox has a tendency to crunch in 3rd but only when shifting up from second to third (not down from 4th to 3rd).

I am hoping its just because the car has done so few miles (150) but none of the other gears seem to have this problem, which makes me think it might be the synchromesh?

Well, from my experience, I think corolla's gear box is not the greatest... probably the worst in terms of shifting ... I owned a 03 T3 and I found that shifting gear especially from 3 to 4, 2 to 3 and 2 to 1 are difficult, thought the same as you and went to the dealer twice to have a check, they say it's ok.

I think the gears are not very smooth compare to other cars I have driven...

thanks for the replies guys.

I have given up on my thoughts of the synchromesh as when i shift at 8k its fine!

i find when the car is cold (ie transmission oil is cold) it tends to be a bit reluctant to engage.

cheers

sanj

I think the gears are not very smooth compare to other cars I have driven...

Must say i dont agree with that comment :unsure:

The gear change in my Rolla is spot on, I have to be careful with reverse, but every forward gear is a smooth change everytime :yes: :D

HI i have a corolla t sport compresser which ive just run in shes done about 1200 miles now but she also has sometimes a crunchy 3rd gear my old t sport did'nt do it so im hoping it will just bed in my hubby has no problems with it but shes my car and he hardly ever drives it and its very intermitant it just catches you unaware sometimes i wouldn't worry anyway

I have to say mine is fine 99% of the time... the other 1% is when the car is extremely cold and it feels a bit stiffer... but no crunching (thank God!)

okay a bit of an update.

went to my local toyota dealer and the damn thing wouldn't crunch at all! i've figured out it only happens when its cold so i'm thinking its something to do with the gearbox oil. I'm going to see how it goes and if its still crap i'll change the oil myself - as my definition of smooth and toyotas definition of smooth are different me suspects!

i've figured out it only happens when its cold so i'm thinking its something to do with the gearbox oil. I'm going to see how it goes and if its still crap i'll change the oil myself - as my definition of smooth and toyotas definition of smooth are different me suspects!

Have you noticed that if you stop driving the car for 10min and then start it again, the gearbox has become much smoother? It is obviously heated effectively from the hot engine if the car is not moving.

Don't worry! This is another thing you should learn to tolerate while you own a Corolla TS. It will be fine in the summer. I guess this is related with an abrupt clutch adjustment (low engagement point for the pedal). The alternative is to have a long clutch pedal travel, burning the clutch very easily.

Have you noticed that if you stop driving the car for 10min and then start it again, the gearbox has become much smoother? It is obviously heated effectively from the hot engine if the car is not moving.

Don't worry! This is another thing you should learn to tolerate while you own a Corolla TS. It will be fine in the summer. I guess this is related with an abrupt clutch adjustment (low engagement point for the pedal). The alternative is to have a long clutch pedal travel, burning the clutch very easily.

yes your quite right i have noticed this. I think the gearbox oil they use is mineral stuff. I'm going to change it to Castrol syntrax as it is much thinner at low temps which is probably one of the problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links