Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Supra Engine Timming

paul2000

Hi there. I have a toyota supra MK3 (turbo 3.0i - 7M-GTE engine).

A few months back the head gasket blew on the car. The head was taken off skimmed etc and then reassembled.

The issue that i am having is that i have used the Haynes Manual which is a waste of time to be honest and it dosnt give me proper answers to my questions.....

I need to get the timming correct. I need to know at what angle the crankshaft pulley should be at? is it 0degrees ? or is it 13degrees ?

Also, i need to know how the cam position sensor should be set.

So if there is anyone out there who has changed the head gasket and their car is working ..please please please help me.........

Thanks

Paul

07932 413847

This looks like a question for Karma Supra, im sure he'll be along in a minute :thumbsup:

First off get the CPS in correctly. turn over the engine so no.1 cylinder is at top dead centre

Remove the CPS and look at the gearing, there will be a small slot on the non turning part and a small drilled mark on the actual gear, line these up and put the CPS in Try and get it so that the bolt that holds it is in the middle of the adjustment slot, just for ease of adjuctment later!!!

Put the rest of the bits back (powersteering resevoir etc) then its time to set the timing.

For starter you need to disable the automatic timing adjustment but putting the engine management in diagniostics mode.... to do this bridge connections TE1 and E1. the engine should be warm and idling at about 650-700 rpm. Clip the timing light sensor to no. 6 HT lead for an easy life. Set it to 10 degrees BTDC.

Once done remove the diagnostic bridge... and you are set to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there thanks for your reply.

Quick question.... im not very technical - but what is a CPS and TPS...?

Thanks

Cam Position Sensor. the thing that you have where a dizzy would usually be!!!

TPS was a typo (now corrected,) although they are also throttle position sensor.

Cool i know what you mean, thank god its a nice day here - so i am of to the garage to perform a miricle on my car ... fingers crossed hey .,.....lol

Hi there.

I am still having issues with my car starting. Let me explain to you what I did.

The Crankshaft Pulley was set to 10degrees. Piston 1, was TDC. The Cam Shaft Pulleys were set correctly - Both of them had the two marks aligned Vertically.

The TPS was set as it was marked before being removed.

The automatic timming was disabled by bridging connections TE1 and E1.

I am not sure what i am doing wrong here. I can smell the petrol and the car feels like it wants to start but it dosnt quiet make.

Is there any chance that i can speak to you about this issue. Can you email me your phone number so that i can call you. I will email u my number too.

My email address is amebb@hotmail.com

Thanks

Paul

No guarantees, but I'll see if I can help out!!!

Shame you are so far away... if you were near I'd trade helping you out with borrowing a timing light!!! (mine self distructed JUST after I had started setting it lol)

Hi there

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to get hold of a timming gun from Halfords etc..... and try again.

But i really need to get this sorted out as its doing my head in lol

Hopefully i can get it sorted out asap.

Anyother ideas please let me know - or if we can chat on phone that wud be easy.

Thanks

Paul

amebb@hotmail.com

PS do uhave msn ? yahoo or icq ?

#

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links