Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Timer

sankul

New owner of a Land Cruiser Prado, 3.0 lt turbo deisel, 1998.

Lots of folks reccomening that I install a turbo timer, helps the turbo come down in temperature before shutting down.

Is that what a turbo timer does?

If so, do I need one?

And why don't Toyota install one as standard if they are so important?

I'll probably get a lot of people tellingme I'm off with this one but here goes...

You normally find Turbo Timer's in Spoorts cars where the Turbo is used at higher speeds and is put under a lot more pressure than in something like a Land Cruiser or 4Wd which doesn't usually get raced around to the same degree.

It is better for the Turbo to cool down properly after the car has finished it's run but on 4WD think it would be a gimmick more than a requirement although they can be installed.

Hope this helps...

Ryan

Thanx: don't think I will bother installing as I don't drive like a rally driver anyway!!

Also, I have a dashboard that rattles a little: anyw ay of opening and adding dampers of some sort to reduce the noise?

Thick double sided tape might do the job, sounds silly but seems to have sorted a few of the Yaris rattles out in the past, and best off all it's a cheap fix :)

This thread is turning into something from Blue Peter, we'll find a use for a toilet roll and washing up bottle next :)

Are you bringing the Prado to JAE, it would be really good to see some of the big Toyota's there....

rhaines is right. You won't need a turbo timer in your case.

If you are worried, just let the car idle for a minute or two after a hard uphill driving like the ones from Naivasha to Nairobi stretch.

As for the rattle, not many car can not rattle on them roads I recall... :lol:

As for the rattle, not many car can not rattle on them roads I recall... :lol:

Wow, what amazing roads we have here! I'm sure your local 4x4 club would have fun just driving through our suburban estates!!!!

But, I do need to do something about the dash rattling, and am planning to open the whole thing up and put in rubber dampers and double sided tape (good suggestion) and tighten all the bolts.

As for JAe, sorry but am a little far away to attend. Wonder if they ahve a local one here, given the number of 4x4s in Kenya.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links